~ Clean Eaters Thread ~

Options

Replies

• fitgal411
    fitgal411 Posts: 668
    Options
    I want to eat clean! I just was researching "clean foods" a few days ago and it sounded like something I would want to try. Is it too late to join?
  • SusieSonshine
    SusieSonshine Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I want to eat clean! I just was researching "clean foods" a few days ago and it sounded like something I would want to try. Is it too late to join?

Welcome fitgal!! :flowerforyou:
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options

It's never too late!! Welcome!:flowerforyou:
  • astridfeline
    Options
    I just read through some of the threads and will need to check out the Clean magazine you have been talking about. I saw some posts about breakfast ideas. I have been drinking Green Smoothies for breakfast. I have found when I start my day with them I eat better for the whole day. It also eliminates the need for coffee! And I when I am in coffee mode, I drink expresso only! Here's a basic recipe from Martha Stewart, but you can add or delete to your own tastes.

In a blender mix
    2 oz of spinach-I use much more spinach-a huge punch !
    1 celery stalk
    1 cucumber-I usually use 1/2
    1/2 apple
    1/4 fennel bulb
    1" ginger root
    3 springs of parsley
    3/4C honeydew melon-I often use frozen mango or pineapple,my husband always adds a banana-but this adds additional calories

another version: I add 1/2 fresh beet and strawberries-delicious!!!!!

Thank you for the recipe!!! I'm gonna try it! Sounds very nutritious! :flowerforyou:

I agree--I will have to try this! Welcome spotter. :flowerforyou:
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    I put cottage cheese in my smoothies! My fave is my Funkay Monkay Smoothie:

Ice
    1/2 c cottage cheese or greek yogurt
    skim milk, or soy milk
    chocolate protein powder
    banana

It's soooo good. I've also put coconut oil in it too. :bigsmile:
    Great post workout.
    I have count cals too fot accountability.:drinker:
    Jess, how do you do the sweet pot with cottage cheese?
  • astridfeline
    Options
    I finally found a recipe for this head of red cabbage I have sitting in the fridge!! It's from Sunset magazine, I found it using the myrecipes.com site. I will fix this tomorrow and let you know if it's as good as it sounds.

http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=1140621

Red Cabbage Salad with Dates

Yield
    Makes 8 servings

Ingredients

* 1/2 head red cabbage (20 oz. total), finely shredded
    * 3 oranges, peeled and segmented with membranes removed and juices reserved
    * 1/3 cup coarsely chopped toasted almonds
    * 5 Medjool dates, pitted and chopped
    * 2 tablespoons walnut oil
    * 2 tablespoons lemon juice
    * Salt

Preparation

In a large bowl, combine cabbage, orange segments and their juice, almonds, and dates. Drizzle with walnut oil and lemon juice and mix gently to coat. Sprinkle with salt to taste.

Nutritional Information

Calories:
    138 (43% from fat)
    Protein:
    2.7g
    Fat:
    6.5g (sat 0.6)
    Carbohydrate:
    20g
    Fiber:
    4.1g
    Sodium:
    92mg
    Cholesterol:
    0.0mg

Gerda Endemann, Stanford, CA, Sunset, JANUARY 2006
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I put cottage cheese in my smoothies! My fave is my Funkay Monkay Smoothie:

Ice
    1/2 c cottage cheese or greek yogurt
    skim milk, or soy milk
    chocolate protein powder
    banana

It's soooo good. I've also put coconut oil in it too. :bigsmile:
    Great post workout.
    I have count cals too fot accountability.:drinker:
    Jess, how do you do the sweet pot with cottage cheese?

I've been known to add cottage cheese to smoothies too. :bigsmile: Love chocolate powder w/ a banana!! YUM!!

I cook the sweet potato first, then mash it a bit w/ my fork. Top w/ the cottage cheese & cinnamon and kind of mix it together. It's delicious!
  • jessmomof3
    Options

Welcome! We're not an exclusive club, anyone can join, anytime!! :drinker:
  • kelly_a
    kelly_a Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    ok, so i went and bought the JM Master Your Metabolism...and have only gotten thru 30 or so pages....this might be harder than i originally thought. i have been eating bran flakes, high fiber cereal for months...and ingredients are whole grain wheat, wheat bran, SUGAR, HFCS, salt and malt flavoring. and occ'l eat oatmeal, but not steelcut.... not as healthy as i thought, and then i had switched from skim milk to Soy Slender soymilk, b/c i thought regular milk had too much sugar in it, and just from what i have read so far....JM is not a big fan of soy? and should we go ahead and eat regular foods instead of light, lowfat, fatfree? man o man, my frig, cupboards are gonna be bare. and to peel fruits and veggies, i thought eating the whole thing was good for fiber? anyway, i know i have a lot to learn, and much to read yet, but excited to be learnin bout the hormone and metabolism info.....and eat CLEAN! :bigsmile:
  • astridfeline
    Options
    Kashi makes a great cereal--GoLean--no HFCS and very little sugar. It has high protein and fiber. I use Smart Bran cereal too, I think that is Nature's path brand. I haven't read jillian's book, but probably she prefers to peel fruit & veg due to the pesticides, so if you can access organic you wouldn't have to do that. There is also a wash you can use for your veg, I can't remember the name but I've seen it in the store. Sounds like you will have an interesting journey to clean eating, as the rest of us have. MFP is a great place to learn about nutrition!

PS. definitely ditch the fat free products--sugar is often added to make those processed foods edible, plus I just don't feel fat-free dairy provides enough satiety or taste. We all need some fat in our diets to help absorb certain vitamins. I personally use 2% dairy b/c full fat is too rich/caloric for me.
  • m2kjenn
    m2kjenn Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    I have become a big fan of Kashi - it is one of the few products that JM endorses and trusts. They do have great options.

I was so surprised about how bad low fat foods are. all the chemicals are so bad!!! I've cut them out and just watch my portions. I have fallen in love with Greek style yogurt, I add in ground flax seed and it keeps me full all morning.

It really is a journey, so much to learn.
  • 1Corinthians13
    1Corinthians13 Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! I've decided that I kinda wanna eat clean. What I mean by that is...I enjoy my wine, but I want to eat cleanly as much as possible. Can I just hop in here? I hope to learn a lot from you guys who have been eating cleanly for awhile.
  • astridfeline
    Options
    the door is always open--welcome!!
  • neeterskeeter
    neeterskeeter Posts: 571 Member
    Options

Welcome fitgal. There's no deadline to join, as far as I know.
  • neeterskeeter
    Options
    Hello everyone! I've decided that I kinda wanna eat clean. What I mean by that is...I enjoy my wine, but I want to eat cleanly as much as possible. Can I just hop in here? I hope to learn a lot from you guys who have been eating cleanly for awhile.

Welcome 1corinthians13.
  • 1Corinthians13
    1Corinthians13 Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    Thanks!

Is it okay for me to be here even though I like my wine? :laugh:

Hmmm, I guess i"M not off to a very good start with my artificially sweetened coffee?
  • m2kjenn
    m2kjenn Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options

Happy to have you. I think each of is at a different level as to how "clean" we eat. My opinion is to make the changes I can, every little bit helps. I enjoy wine as well. One way you can make that "cleaner" is to find local wineries in your area, at least then it is greener as there are no transportation cost. There are also some "organic" varieties out there, I haven't tried any yet, but I've read they are really good.
  • neeterskeeter
    Options
    This is kind of off topic. But last night I was at the gym running my long run (I like to run it on the treadmill and watch TV :smile:) and watching the Miss Universe pageant. Of course all of those women have such skinny, toned body, IMO some of them are way too skinny, but some of them look healthy skinny. None of them looked super defined which is more my taste/goal - like Jillian Michaels or Gwen Stefani. I was just running and wondering what these girls eat and what kind of work outs they do. I wonder if they eat clean. I wonder if they take in enough calories.

I always used to read this book called the Secrets of Skinny Chicks -- it featured supposedly "everyday" women who managed to stay skinny and in tip top shape, and said how they did it, including what they ate and how they worked out on a typical day. The problem was that most of these women were professional, former, or aspiring models, actresses, beauty pageant contestants, athletes, etc... definitely not my definition of an "everyday" woman, because most of them got paid to look good, or wanted to, or used to, etc. That book used to be a big inspiration for me but now when I look at it, I realize it isn't in my goals, because most of the women eat low-fat, low-carb foods that have articificial sweeteners etc., and many of the women only eat about 1200 - 1400 calories a day, plus work out a lot, and I aim to keep my *net* calories at about 1200-1300 a day.

I guess what I'm wondering is, what are realistic goals for a truly "everyday" woman? I am an attorney with a busy job and I don't have kids but I like to spend a lot of time with my boyfriend and our pets... I am not the type to get so caught up in training or working out that I never see them or my friends, etc. I mainly eat clean, stick to 1200-1300 net calories, and I run or work out for about 45 minutes a day, with one rest day a week, and some of my runs are much longer, like an hour and a half for pace runs or long runs. (I am training for a half marathon). Is it realistic for me to want to acheive a super toned, cut, slim body? Do women have to starve themselves and spend all their time working out to reach those levels? I guess this is why I'm looking forward to doing P90X, I think that will probably get me in the best shape ever if I stick with it, and I also plan to keep up my running schedule, more or less.
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    ok, so i went and bought the JM Master Your Metabolism...and have only gotten thru 30 or so pages....this might be harder than i originally thought. i have been eating bran flakes, high fiber cereal for months...and ingredients are whole grain wheat, wheat bran, SUGAR, HFCS, salt and malt flavoring. and occ'l eat oatmeal, but not steelcut.... not as healthy as i thought, and then i had switched from skim milk to Soy Slender soymilk, b/c i thought regular milk had too much sugar in it, and just from what i have read so far....JM is not a big fan of soy? and should we go ahead and eat regular foods instead of light, lowfat, fatfree? man o man, my frig, cupboards are gonna be bare. and to peel fruits and veggies, i thought eating the whole thing was good for fiber? anyway, i know i have a lot to learn, and much to read yet, but excited to be learnin bout the hormone and metabolism info.....and eat CLEAN! :bigsmile:

I used to eat Fiber One cereal, and then realized it has aspartame and other yucky stuff in there. And... found it was really triggering my IBS!! (which is pretty much gone from just eating clean!) Kashi and Nature's Path make great cereals. GoLean is my favorite Kashi cereal, and I love the Pumpkin Flax Granola and Peanut Butter Granolas from NP. My kids love the Peanut Butter Bumpers or Panda Puffins which are good organic cereals (and I like them sometimes for something sweet!).

I just recently gave up my light soymilk. Most of them have splenda (sucralose) in it. There is a lot of debate about soy, just find what works for you. I do choose lower-fat dairy just because it's not that much different. I will eat fat free or 2% cottage cheese, just depends. I don't eat other products labeled as fat free (like dressings) because they usually add sugar to replace the fat.

I still eat the peel on my fruits, I just wash them and cut the tops off of my apples now. :wink:
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    So what was for lunch today?

I did a kind of clean out the fridge type of salad. :laugh:

Lunch:
    Romaine, peas, broccoli, mushrooms,
    4oz chicken breast, 1 hard boiled egg, salsa.