Poll: How many hours do you work per week?

Options

Replies

• iam_thatdude
    iam_thatdude Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    50-55 hours when im in the States and probably 70 hours a week when I travel internationally.

Man youse are all lazy! Im the only real worker here.....im KIDDING...im the only sucker here lol.
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid that if you are salaried and it's not a government job, 50-60 is probably normal. My husband is salaried in the private sector and works roughly 50 hours a week. His pay is based on 40 hours per week.
  • GetFitE
    GetFitE Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I have two jobs and it can vary. One job is Mon-Fri 8-4pm (i'm a regular substitute teacher) and that can be from 1-5 days depending on the week & I have a more regular part-time job at a hospital on the weekends. So it can be rough at times working Mon-Fri and then Sat and Sun as well. The bonus is when school's out, I'm off. The downfall is I work so much I feel like I'm missing out on life. My life is basically get up, work, workout in the evening and back to sleep. My relationship with my friends has become thru texting and FB cause it seems I'm always at work when they're free. I would t recommend it, personally, but I (and I'm sure other people) are doing it because the economy sucks and you gotta take what you can get in order to be able to sustain life financially. So, I sacrifice & work overtime so I don't have to worry about my finances.
  • fitplease
    fitplease Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I think 50-60 hours a week (shifts might be 8:30-6, 9-8 etc.) is the norm in corporate on the East Coast, with some people working much longer than that. 40 seems a rarity to me.
  • porcelain_doll
    porcelain_doll Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses so far. I wish I knew the salary for the position, but I was afraid to ask. I was always told to never ask about money up front. The company is a mortgage lending company, but I would not be doing any banking stuff. I would be working on their marketing team in the creative dept. as a web designer.

I find the variety in responses interesting. Keep them coming! :smile:
  • ironmanwannabe
    ironmanwannabe Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I am a sw engineer and work anywhere from 40-60 depending on what is going on. I also check work email, respond to them and log into work as needed during my offhours. This is not required but I like to keep on top of things. Also my last mgr and current mgr are both very cool and allow flexibility in dealing with home issues. The flexibility, aside from my medical benefits, is the most attractive benefit provided to me by my company.
  • skinnyack
    skinnyack Posts: 683
    Options
    Currently 40-45. I took this job after working a 50-60 type job for 3 years, in customer service, with a huge stress load. The 50-60 was okay when I didn't have a boyfriend (who is now the fiance) and had time for myself or to work out. But the second I got a SO, no time to work out and gained weight. Sigh. However it made it very easy to leave my 50-60 after I found out they were screwing me on my paycheck. What I learned- if you are going to work that hard get compensated for it and be ready to sacrifice your health or relationships for it. You can still have a great life, but you've got to be on your A game. I love my job now- in that it's not very stressful, I actually get paid more, and I can work out before the fiance gets home (he still works that job)
  • ttaylor68913
    ttaylor68913 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    im self employed (do daycare) and work close to 60ish or better.... my hours are 630a til 6pm 5 days a week and then i clean and get projects ready and go grocery shopping on top of that..
  • phillieschic
    Options
    I work 10 hour days (7:30am-5pm) Monday-Friday and have off every other Friday.
    The long weeks are rough sometimes, but I love those Fridays off!
  • Wonderwoman2677
    Wonderwoman2677 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I work 37.5-40 and I'm hourly. I also have a mohtly job that only take 5-10 hours/month.

I also have 3-5 kids, depending on the time of the year... I don't have time to work more.
  • Artemis726
    Artemis726 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I work from home, salaried for full time with no overtime (also no official personal days,sick time, vacation, etc). My actual time spent working varies quite a bit, but I am the one in the company who works until it gets done and covers everybody else. Some days I feel like I work from the time I get up until 11:30 at night, and other days I feel guilty because there isn't enough to do. :) But- I'm also the one who'll 'come in' over the weekend if something comes up without overtime pay and the one who doesn't have any time off besides weekends, so I think it all evens out. *shrug*
  • RMuske
    RMuske Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I work weird shifts at a facility that stays open if people come in before we lock the doors at 8 at night so anywhere from 40 and 50 hours per week on average.
  • mills101
    mills101 Posts: 58
    Options
    i've never seen less than 50 hours
  • bbriscoe13
    bbriscoe13 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I work on a compressed work schedule so I get every other Friday off. One week I will work 45 hours and the next I will only work 36. But, I am a test engineer so if I am in the middle of a test, I will sometimes work up to 60 hours a week. I do get paid overtime though. :)
  • bbriscoe13
    bbriscoe13 Posts: 175 Member
    Options

DoD employee?? I have the same schedule!
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I'm scheduled for 40, normally do 50+. Part of that's my own doing b/c I'm a bit of a workaholic. Not technically on salary, but I don't usually ask for overtime unless someone/thing else makes me stay late.

I'm in healthcare, so if I schedule a pt for myself outside of my regular hours, I don't take overtime, but I do take "come time" which essentially works out to vacation time, but is compensated at regular time, not time-and-a-half.

If someone else does something to make me stay late, I charge overtime.

If I'm doing administrative work or notes, I don't count it because it's just part of the job.
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    48 hours a week.
  • enchantedbunny
    Options
    Salaried for 40 hours a week and like some others mentioned, it still feels like too much! I can't imagine working 50-60. Too much away-from-home time, to me :(
  • phillieschic
    Options

DoD employee?? I have the same schedule!

Yes, indeed! Love my RDOs! :wink:
  • mab33
    mab33 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I regularly work 50-60 hours a week, sometimes as many as 80. But always at least 50. And my commute is 3 hours total.

The biggest downside is less time with my family. The upside is it's great for my career. I come home exhausted and want to crawl into bed, but usually stay up to spend time with my hubby and dogs, which I pay for the next morning.

I'm always tired, but hope of the future keeps me going. Plus it's partly my fault, I'm a workaholic :)

If I didn't have the commute, the 50-60 work week would be a piece of cake.

(This is nothing compared to when I worked two jobs and regularly worked 70 hours a week. I made a lot less then, too!)