Bye Bye Death Penalty

Options

Replies

• AshleyRKnutson
    AshleyRKnutson Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I was born in Texas, that should about sum up my view on the subject.

I wasn't born here in Texas, but I've grown up here and am THANKFUL for the death penalty when PROVEN GUILTY WITH ROCK HARD EVIDENCE.
  • A_New_Horizon
    A_New_Horizon Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    Well, this is a very, very touchy subject not just with me but alot of people.

Here is my opinion (and opinion only). I have had 2 people that I know incarcerated including one who is serving 6.5 to 40 yrs (he is actually my ex-husband). While I was married to him (before I asked for a divorce), I was on a prison support group for loved ones who were incarcerated, and I got to know loved one even of those who had the death penalty.

Remember, that every murderer, rapist, robber, etc still is a person and has family/friends who love them. I meet (most women) who loved ones on death row that didn't know when their life would end. I remember one time a wife watched as her husband was executed, and he left behind 2 children as well. I grieved for that woman and her children. Do I believe a crime should be punished? Yes, but I believe the "death penalty" should be left to the serial killers only. I live in MD, and we do have the death penalty ( I believe), but I strongly believe it should be changed.
  • ashreynolds09
    ashreynolds09 Posts: 257 Member
    Options

I live in Texas. Sometimes, my lights flicker when someone goes down in Huntsville Texas (jk).

lmao...you guys are crackin me up! love my Texas! :)
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    <--- Canadian. We have no death penalty. I HATE this. There are people with DNA and video evidence against them proving that they are the WORST kind of people our society has ever spit out, & MY tax dollars are paying for their living expenses? Paul Bernardo (FAMOUS serial rapist & murderer) even gets PRIVATE housing & security because the other inmates would kill him on sight for the things he did to his own SISTER-IN-LAW... but hey! Why go to Canadian Tire & get a $3 length of rope, why not let us pay hundreds of thousands of dollars every year for his upkeep? What the hell... he's got rights, doesn't he? The little girls he raped & killed on video & their families... who cares about their rights?

ME that's who. Wish like hell we had the Death Penalty up here. Stupid Canadian Society is too damned NICE!

Do you really think it costs hundreds of thousands of dollars to feed, clothe and house one inmate? And it isn't exactly private housing. He is in protective custody in a prison cell for 23 hours a day. He doesn't live in his own private villa.
  • cynthiaj777
    cynthiaj777 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I don't know what the specifics are for the places I've lived...you know, since I've never been on death row, I haven't been compelled enough to research it.

BUT I believe that the person should not ONLY BE KILLED if they take someone's life....they should be killed in the same manner!

Shooting, stabbing, choking, burning, beating, dismembering, decapitation....whatever the case may be.

I bet they won't like it either.
  • HotBodUnderConstruction
    Options
    Sorry, I think using my tax dollars to have some douche murderer appeal a death sentence for 30 years is a waste. The death penalty system is long, arcane, wasteful and should be abolished.
  • ratherbeskiing
    ratherbeskiing Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    I dont understand how we can kill someone to prove that killing people is wrong!?!? hum... :huh:
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I don't even kill bugs.

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

"A robin red-breast in a cage puts all heaven in a rage."

"We built this city on rock and roll."
  • JoeyTajzai
    JoeyTajzai Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    I rather them rot in jail for the rest of their lives then killing them the easy way.. Better punishment =)
  • brhaunparks
    brhaunparks Posts: 28 Member
    Options

Well I wasn't born in Texas....but I think we have the same views!!
  • ampa916
    ampa916 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I used to be very against the death penalty. I always thought that you can't kill someone for killing someone. How is that fair? But as I have grown up a little and realized that life just isn't fair I also realized that there are very very very very sick people out there who don't care about the value of life or have any qualms with taking a life. I don't think we show them any kind of kindness or that they would even acknowledge it if we did by not killing them, it's wasting our tax dollars keeping them alive.
  • SkinnieFinnie
    SkinnieFinnie Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I'm from Texas. We have the death penalty & we USE the death penalty. I agree with it as long as they are 100%, without a doubt guilty of the crime. There are some people that just don't deserve to live.
  • fightingdissonance
    Options
    Wow. Being a person born and raised in Scandinavia, this thread has just completely blown my mind and made me feel truly uneasy...

I had no idea, or maybe more so it had never even crossed my mind that this amount of people could be in favour of the death penalty. And so passionately... Wow.... I'm speechless.

Like said, coming from Scandinavia, our prison systems are famously known for their concentrating on the rehabilitation of prisoners and giving them a lot of freedom. If they are impossible to rehabilitate, they are not evil they are SICK and need medical care and to be kept where they are not a danger to others... not to be killed. The whole idea repulses me.

Because of this approach, Norway, Sweden and Finland have the lowest re-offending rates and the emptiest prisons in the world. Go figure....

This. So well put.

There is a huge disconnect in Western society when it comes to understanding how violence has permeated our culture, thus contributing to our high rates of crime and widespread acceptance of violent state-sponsored measures.
  • ashreynolds09
    ashreynolds09 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Wow. Being a person born and raised in Scandinavia, this thread has just completely blown my mind and made me feel truly uneasy...

I had no idea, or maybe more so it had never even crossed my mind that this amount of people could be in favour of the death penalty. And so passionately... Wow.... I'm speechless.

Like said, coming from Scandinavia, our prison systems are famously known for their concentrating on the rehabilitation of prisoners and giving them a lot of freedom. If they are impossible to rehabilitate, they are not evil they are SICK and need medical care and to be kept where they are not a danger to others... not to be killed. The whole idea repulses me.

Because of this approach, Norway, Sweden and Finland have the lowest re-offending rates and the emptiest prisons in the world. Go figure....

I once read an article about y'alls prisons...and I honestly loved the idea. While I am not bothered by the death penalty completely, I do often wonder what condition our country would be in if we actually tried to make our criminals into productive citizens. We spend so much money on our prisons anyway...let's re-evaluate the way we spend it.
  • cynthiaj777
    cynthiaj777 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    <--- Canadian. We have no death penalty. I HATE this. There are people with DNA and video evidence against them proving that they are the WORST kind of people our society has ever spit out, & MY tax dollars are paying for their living expenses? Paul Bernardo (FAMOUS serial rapist & murderer) even gets PRIVATE housing & security because the other inmates would kill him on sight for the things he did to his own SISTER-IN-LAW... but hey! Why go to Canadian Tire & get a $3 length of rope, why not let us pay hundreds of thousands of dollars every year for his upkeep? What the hell... he's got rights, doesn't he? The little girls he raped & killed on video & their families... who cares about their rights?

ME that's who. Wish like hell we had the Death Penalty up here. Stupid Canadian Society is too damned NICE!

Do you really think it costs hundreds of thousands of dollars to feed, clothe and house one inmate? And it isn't exactly private housing. He is in protective custody in a prison cell for 23 hours a day. He doesn't live in his own private villa.

Obviously you have never done research on prisons in the US! I wrote my masters' graduation paper on reforming the prison system in the US because it is ridiculously inefficient. It costs on average, in 2009, wait, let me open my paper to get what I cited, $25,251 ANNUALLY to house an inmate.

Yep, just what I want my tax money going to! And please lets not mention the corruption in the prison system. Most of that money goes into someone's pocket as profit.
  • MFPAddict
    MFPAddict Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    I don't know what the specifics are for the places I've lived...you know, since I've never been on death row, I haven't been compelled enough to research it.

BUT I believe that the person should not ONLY BE KILLED if they take someone's life....they should be killed in the same manner!

Shooting, stabbing, choking, burning, beating, dismembering, decapitation....whatever the case may be.

I bet won't like it either.

Sounds good to me.
  • mdsjmom98
    mdsjmom98 Posts: 333 Member
    Options

Love this!! As Ron White says, "In Texas if you're crime is so heinous, you get to go to the front of the line!!"
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options

First of all, that is against the constitution.

Second, it's a lot easier said than done. It's one thing to have someone pull a lever, but could you handle burning someone alive? Raping and murdering another human being? Chopping someone's head off? Remember someone would actually have to do that.
  • ampa916
    ampa916 Posts: 189 Member
    Options

and this ^ I totally agree, I think there are some real sick freaks out there and they deserve the same pain and torture that they gave out.
  • fightingdissonance
    Options

and this ^ I totally agree, I think there are some real sick freaks out there and they deserve the same pain and torture that they gave out.

But then what does that make the executioner who metes out that punishment of pain and torture?