Bye Bye Death Penalty

Options

Replies

• MFPAddict
    MFPAddict Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    I don't know what the specifics are for the places I've lived...you know, since I've never been on death row, I haven't been compelled enough to research it.

BUT I believe that the person should not ONLY BE KILLED if they take someone's life....they should be killed in the same manner!

Shooting, stabbing, choking, burning, beating, dismembering, decapitation....whatever the case may be.

I bet won't like it either.

and this ^ I totally agree, I think there are some real sick freaks out there and they deserve the same pain and torture that they gave out.

But then what does that make the executioner who metes out that punishment of pain and torture?

A HERO
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I don't even kill bugs.

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

"A robin red-breast in a cage puts all heaven in a rage."

"There once was a hermit named Dave....."
  • cynthiaj777
    cynthiaj777 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I don't know what the specifics are for the places I've lived...you know, since I've never been on death row, I haven't been compelled enough to research it.

BUT I believe that the person should not ONLY BE KILLED if they take someone's life....they should be killed in the same manner!

Shooting, stabbing, choking, burning, beating, dismembering, decapitation....whatever the case may be.

First of all, that is against the constitution.

Second, it's a lot easier said than done. It's one thing to have someone pull a lever, but could you handle burning someone alive? Raping and murdering another human being? Chopping someone's head off? Remember someone would actually have to do that.

Let the victim's families do it. Plus, no one knows who actually kills an inmate. They can think of inventive ways to cut people's heads off without actually having to do. They don't just flip a switch. There are multiple people in a separate room that all have a button. Each person presses the button, and no one knows who actually killed the person.
  • cynthiaj777
    Options
    I think they should all be put on a desert island. Let them kill each other instead of us paying for them to watch tv-body build-and make royalties from books they write while in prison.

That is how Australia started lol!

HAHAHAHAHA this is very true! And the state of Georgia believe it or not. Great Britain sent criminals to Georgia to exile them.
  • naku
    naku Posts: 109 Member
    Options

and this ^ I totally agree, I think there are some real sick freaks out there and they deserve the same pain and torture that they gave out.

Without going into how disturbing this whole comment is..... I would like to point out the keyword in it: SICK.
  • x_biggirl
    x_biggirl Posts: 68
    Options
    I live in the U.K. and I believe certain actions cannot be taken back...i do not understand why we have prisons and our tax money helps pay for it...rapists, child molesters, murderers should be shot and not get to live in prison and not do anything while i'm working my *kitten* off and paying for them to sit on their bums. If they are going to be in prisons they should do a full days labour like everyone else 5 days a week...the death penalty should be introduced in more countries and harsher punishments need to be enforced...people are getting sicker and sicker in the head and need controlling.
  • str8bowbabe
    str8bowbabe Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I was born in Texas, that should about sum up my view on the subject.

I heard this from a comedian and I absolutely love it.
    In a time where other states are abolishing the death penalty, TX is putting in an express lane!!! Heck yeah! Texans are my kind of people!
  • CindiBryce
    CindiBryce Posts: 438
    Options
    The death penalty is a good deterrent, but it is actually quite costly to implement. The trials are expensive.
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options

Second, it's a lot easier said than done. It's one thing to have someone pull a lever, but could you handle burning someone alive? Raping and murdering another human being? Chopping someone's head off? Remember someone would actually have to do that.

Let the victim's families do it. Plus, no one knows who actually kills an inmate. They can think of inventive ways to cut people's heads off without actually having to do. They don't just flip a switch. There are multiple people in a separate room that all have a button. Each person presses the button, and no one knows who actually killed the person.

So, for you, the death penalty is revenge?
  • uberrach
    uberrach Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    lostwordsinthechamber.blogspot.com/

Whether you support it or not, read this blog. It's updated daily. These are the last words from inmates on death row before they're executed. It's incredibly interesting, I promise.
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Wow. Being a person born and raised in Scandinavia, this thread has just completely blown my mind and made me feel truly uneasy...

I had no idea, or maybe more so it had never even crossed my mind that this amount of people could be in favour of the death penalty. And so passionately... Wow.... I'm speechless.

Like said, coming from Scandinavia, our prison systems are famously known for their concentrating on the rehabilitation of prisoners and giving them a lot of freedom. If they are impossible to rehabilitate, they are not evil they are SICK and need medical care and to be kept where they are not a danger to others... not to be killed. The whole idea repulses me.

Because of this approach, Norway, Sweden and Finland have the lowest re-offending rates and the emptiest prisons in the world. Go figure....

ONe thing for sure: Because America does have the death penalty, we also have the LOWEST RE-OFFENDING RATES too. You can't reoffend if you're put to death. That kind of simplifies and puts it into very clear perspective for for me.

Scandanavia has only approx. 25,000,000 people. America has 325,000,000. Huge difference. Small countries have less crime, for obvious reasons, so no comparison is possible.

When you have that small a population, of COURSE it becomes easier to rehab criminals.

Can you imagine the U.S. trying tp rehab every single violent criminal out there? OUr country would go broke under the weight of the costs, as if we don't already have an issue keeping ourselves out of debt... We just don't have the time to spend mollycoddling every little pansy that walks through the door with an impulse control problem.

I'm for it.
  • Sockimobi
    Sockimobi Posts: 541
    Options
    Wow. Being a person born and raised in Scandinavia, this thread has just completely blown my mind and made me feel truly uneasy...

I had no idea, or maybe more so it had never even crossed my mind that this amount of people could be in favour of the death penalty. And so passionately... Wow.... I'm speechless.

Like said, coming from Scandinavia, our prison systems are famously known for their concentrating on the rehabilitation of prisoners and giving them a lot of freedom. If they are impossible to rehabilitate, they are not evil they are SICK and need medical care and to be kept where they are not a danger to others... not to be killed. The whole idea repulses me.

Because of this approach, Norway, Sweden and Finland have the lowest re-offending rates and the emptiest prisons in the world. Go figure....

This is the type of society I would prefer to live in without a doubt.
    I live in England, so no death penality here, but I don't wish to live here for the rest of my life.
  • mikeyboy
    mikeyboy Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options

But then what does that make the executioner who metes out that punishment of pain and torture?

Employed
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options

And rape? To be blunt, who lines it up?

Burning alive? You want to create WWII ovens again?

Cannibalism? Necrophilia?

How do you deal with crimes against children? Go after that person's kids?

Also you want the victim's families to recreate the crime? Do you have ANY idea of the psychological torment this might cause them. 'Yup, this is EXACTLY what my daughter went through...I totally feel better now that I know that up close and personal.'

I'm being extreme, but for a reason. What does that sort of thing say about us as a society. It is one thing to be in favor of capital punishment, it is another to turn it into a Saw or Hostel sequel.
  • cynthiaj777
    Options

So, for you, the death penalty is revenge?

Sure!!! Why not? Sicko went out raped, beat and dismembered victim A. Sure.....the family should be able to show sicko exactly how victim A felt in those final moments.

I am more repulsed by the crimes these mother f'ers commit to innocent people than the punishment they receive.

ANDDDDDDD even more sickened that people would ACTUALLY stand up for them....in ANY regard.

BTW, certain rights are taken away from prisoners/criminals....maybe they should think about taking away their 8th Amendment rights too!
  • HighFistDujek
    Options

ahh so you like to murder retarded people. very big of you.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/renee-feltz/texas-keeps-retarded-men_b_416159.html
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Why go to Canadian Tire & get a $3 length of rope, why not let us pay hundreds of thousands of dollars every year for his upkeep?

$25,251 ANNUALLY to house an inmate

Thank you!:flowerforyou:
  • cynthiaj777
    Options

Employed

LMAO....very true sir....VERY true!
  • SirBen81
    SirBen81 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    The controversy isn't about "there are some people who deserve to die vs nobody deserves to die".

It's about executing someone who turned out to be innocent. It's happened before, and DNA evidence only makes it that much easier to convincingly frame someone. So saying something like 'I only support the death penalty if there is 100% DNA evidence to support the charges..." does not mean innocent people will not be executed.

If an innocent person is executed their blood is not just on the hands of the jury members, it's on the hands of all the citizens of that state whose taxes enabled the execution. Morally speaking, one of the worst things a person can do is be accountable for the death of another innocent person, and just because we voted on it as a group doesn't make it moral.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options

ahh so you like to murder retarded people. very big of you.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/renee-feltz/texas-keeps-retarded-men_b_416159.html

IT WAS A JOKE

Read the rest of my posts in this thread.