Peanut Butter is a Good Source of....Protein??

Options

Replies

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Of course peanut butter has healthy fat as well as protein, so that's something to consider.

Likewise, egg whites, with their low calorie, high protein aren't all that effective, because you really need the yoke in order to properly absorb the white protein.

I'm not bashing peanut butter, I think it's great stuff.

As far as your egg white comment, I've never heard that. Could you provide a source? Thanks.
  • UponThisRock
    Options
    Beans and Tofu for sure -- you have to eat more Tofu to up the protein compared to Tuna but Tuna also has a crap ton of sodium in it.

I only need 3500 calories worth of black beans to get my proteins in!

Actually, I hear tempeh is not awful for getting protein in without eating meat. Shame it's soy protein.

My *kitten* would explode
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options

Beans and Tofu for sure -- you have to eat more Tofu to up the protein compared to Tuna but Tuna also has a crap ton of

Don't eat out of a can, and the sodium is quite low.

smaaaaaaaart :) I like seared tuna boom
  • UponThisRock
    Options
    I just took a peek at your food diary and you consumed a huge amount of nuts today-- nearly 500 calories worth! So I don't think you have any right to preach aobut not eating peanut butter.

What did I say that you interpret as me "preaching against peanut butter?"
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Love peanut butter... hate the ratio of fat to protein.
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Beans and Tofu for sure -- you have to eat more Tofu to up the protein compared to Tuna but Tuna also has a crap ton of sodium in it.

I only need 3500 calories worth of black beans to get my proteins in!

Actually, I hear tempeh is not awful for getting protein in without eating meat. Shame it's soy protein.

My *kitten* would explode

that is mildly disturbing but i just laughed my a** off

whoaaaaaaaaaa double entendre
  • UponThisRock
    Options
    Its a plant based protein. 7 grams per serving. Who in the hell is going to sit and eat 3 servings of peanut butter in one sitting. that's 6 tablespoons. Of course the calorie content would be high.

reading is fundamental
  • DB_1106
    DB_1106 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    UponThisRock, I think you pissed off the Peter Pan fanclub.
  • UponThisRock
    Options
    I have been eating no meat at all recently, or animal products for the most part and have no trouble getting my 100g of protein everyday :huh:

whey to the rescue
  • nikkijoshua
    nikkijoshua Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Not everyone eats meat. For a vegetarian, peanut butter is a good source of protein.

And in my opinion (and that of every medical opinion I've ever read) people here think they need far more protein than they actually do.

I totally agree. I'm not a vegetarian, but it does seem that alot of people equate eating healthy with taking in excessive amounts of protein. Protein is vitally important, but alot of people think they need much more than they actually do.
  • happypath101
    Options
    Um... because peanut butter tastes wonderful and takes no prep time. This, in my books, is criteria enough for "good". :O)
  • UponThisRock
    Options
    Agreed. It might be better termed a "convenient" source of protein or a "quick" source of protein.

no, it wouldn't

Why not - it is convenient and is a source of protein.

I find it a good source of protein cause it tastes so good (not really becuase it has a lot of protein in it - which, bang for the buck, it does not).

Again, I disagree with the notion that it's a good source of protein.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    I just took a peek at your food diary and you consumed a huge amount of nuts today-- nearly 500 calories worth! So I don't think you have any right to preach aobut not eating peanut butter.

This is just hilarious ^^

Where did he say not to eat PB? He just stated that is not a really protein rich food for the amount of calories
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Peanut Butter is a food group bro. Besides, it's more of a source of fat than protein. Atleast that's my opinion. =)
  • saltskinmermaid
    Options
    Germany’s 2011 strongest man Patrik Baboumian is vegetarian (he is working on being vegan and claims to be 90% vegan)..
    242-pound NFL Star Tony Fiammetta is a vegan...
    (many more, but I'm sure you have Google and can enlighten yourself)

so it is possible to be vegetarian/vegan and get protein (not to mention be a body builder) without meat/eggs/tuna/ice skating up hill!
  • UponThisRock
    Options
    UponThisRock, I think you pissed off the Peter Pan fanclub.

they are a touchy bunch
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    I have been eating no meat at all recently, or animal products for the most part and have no trouble getting my 100g of protein everyday :huh:

whey to the rescue

Yus! I make protein milkshakes, healthy protein cookies, almond milk protein ice cream :D Woooo proteins!
  • gamommaof3
    Options
    Very good point!! I'd rather eat my calories on more than peanut butter with that many calories wasted for the protein!!
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Its a plant based protein. 7 grams per serving. Who in the hell is going to sit and eat 3 servings of peanut butter in one sitting. that's 6 tablespoons. Of course the calorie content would be high.

Looks up slowly from PB jar and glances around ever so slightly embarrassed.... Um, it's empty now.... Pretty sure there was like half a jar when I started..... Soooooo.... in answer to your question, Me????
  • UponThisRock
    Options
    Not everyone eats meat. For a vegetarian, peanut butter is a good source of protein.

And in my opinion (and that of every medical opinion I've ever read) people here think they need far more protein than they actually do.

I totally agree. I'm not a vegetarian, but it does seem that alot of people equate eating healthy with taking in excessive amounts of protein. Protein is vitally important, but alot of people think they need much more than they actually do.

"need" is highly dependent on context. Also, what is "needed" and what is "optimal" are different things.