What's the Craziest Diet Myth You've Heard?

Options

Replies

• indiepops
    indiepops Posts: 96
    Options
    mcdonalds burger diet - meat, healthy, salad healthy, some essential fats from cheese ;)
  • formersec
    formersec Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Anything promoted by Dr. Oz.
  • torygirl79
    torygirl79 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    The grapefruit diet works. It also gives you stomach ulcers though which is mist definitely not worth it.
  • torygirl79
    torygirl79 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    An ex-coworker once told me (while eating a large McDonalds fries) that there is nothing wrong with fries, they are potatoes, and potatoes are a vegetable, and vegetables are good for you.

We tried to explain the whole concept of "deep fried" but it was beyond her comprehension... :noway:

So there you have it.... fries are a vegetable!.
    Now who's coming to McD's with me? :laugh:

That's nothing, an ex co-worker once told me Fruit Pastilles were one of your five a day.

For the non Brits fruit Pastilles are sugar coated chewy sweets.
  • breezymom81
    breezymom81 Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    The wedding diet where you get a tube shoved in your nose down into your tummy to be tube fed. REALLY!!!! People amaze me

I read about that! Worst. diet. ever.

Imagaine needing an NG(nasel-gut) tube to survive and seeing this!!! I know several kids who have a tube to survive- this pisses me off
  • caritiger
    caritiger Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    An ex-coworker once told me (while eating a large McDonalds fries) that there is nothing wrong with fries, they are potatoes, and potatoes are a vegetable, and vegetables are good for you.

We tried to explain the whole concept of "deep fried" but it was beyond her comprehension... :noway:

So there you have it.... fries are a vegetable!.
    Now who's coming to McD's with me? :laugh:

That's nothing, an ex co-worker once told me Fruit Pastilles were one of your five a day.

For the non Brits fruit Pastilles are sugar coated chewy sweets.

So Jelly Babies count, too then? :laugh:
  • TonyaKantola
    Options
    Craziest one was the vinegar shots! No Thank You!
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    From mfp boards as well,

Your bones shrink as you lose weight to support your new body, so that's why you can have period between losing weight on the scales :L so you lose weight, then wait, then weigh :L

Annnnnd drinking cold water makes you pee, drinking warm water makes you poo
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    The craziest? There are many on here.. My fave seems to be the dawn dish soap followed by the lemon juice... Other crazy myths... The Cabbages soup diet as a lifestyle change... Yeah, I'm gonna eat nothing but cabbage soup for the rest of my life... NOT!... Grapefruit diet? Ehhh, there were some elements that work on it... and they work real good too... Especially in the restroom... There are some diets that work because they make you go... and go, and go... And what a way to go and go and go... Truth is.. Reduce caloric intake and increase activity to a level that a person who is the fitness level and weight that you aspire to be would do on a daily basis... AND NEVER CHANGE IT... (well, on average anyway)... Weight loss will be slower.. But much more sustainable. THAT is a LIFESTYLE change!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Eating too few calories will make you gain weight! That's not a myth! Don't you read the bottom of your log if you haven't eaten enough? If you eat too few calories you body goes into starvation mode and keeps everything. It doesn't think you are going to feed it again, therefore weight gain. Do the research, it's true.

I have done the research, and it isn't true.

I could cite you numerous studies with people on sub 1000 calories and they lose weight, and the lower the calories the more they lose. Yes there are sustainability issues as with most diet regimes. But fundamentally you can't gain weight by eating less than you are expending - where does the weight come from ? Mars ?

There is a metabolic slow down in response to losing weight, not least because you lose mass, and there may also be a slow down in response to calorie restriction (studies come out both for and against this).

But "starvation mode" is a myth if you extrapolate it to "body goes into starvation mode and keeps everything". Just sit down and think about that. What would be the purpose of the body "keeping everything" if it were capable of doing so ? If you need 1000 calories of energy to stay alive in "starvation mode" then those calories will be taken from food, body fat and ultimately muscle. When all the fat is gone you'll look like a concentration camp survivor or an Ethiopian famine refugee. There's no way the body can "keep everything" and it would in any case be self defeating. In a 3 day fast you would die were it to be the case, whereas in practice it takes about 70 days for a hunger striker to die.
  • MicahMaryLouise
    Options
    That cotton balls are full of fiber and low in calories so if you eat them you will be full but lose weight. WOW.
  • evonday
    evonday Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Not really a myth, but a funny story nonetheless.

I used to work at the college cafeteria, and we had daily regulars come through. There was a pair of girls who would get a huge salad, drown it in ranch, cheese, and bacon bits, have 2 slices of bread with butter and full calorie soda with many refills. And afterwards, a huge soft serve cone on their way out.

One day, they asked me if we added anything to the lettuce to make it fattier. I said,"No, it's just plain lettuce." And they scoffed at me, and retorted, "Then why are we gaining weight eating nothing but salads?" I smiled, shrugged, and said, "Dunno."

I went back in the kitchen and we had a good laugh about it. Everyone knew who these girls were, we saw them practically everyday.

They were the same people that asked us if the eggs we made to order were real eggs.
  • scarlieoh
    scarlieoh Posts: 18
    Options
    My grandmother believed that eating a teaspoon of Dawn or Palmolive dish soap every day would dissolve fat in her body. She swore she read about it in Reader's Digest. She ate a lot of soap...

HAHAHHHHAHHAAHAHAHHAHHHAHAHHA
  • naseak
    naseak Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    drinking ice cold water after eating milk chocolate makes your body metabolise it too fast to store it.

I wish that were so!
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    "hollywood diet" 2 lemons sqeezed+1 tbls of maple syrup+ 20 oz warm water+cayenne pepper. 10x's a day
    note: you dont eat or drink anything els on this:drinker:
  • polarsjewel
    polarsjewel Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    Years ago when I was young and naive I was joining a gym and the "personal trainer" told me that it didn't matter if I ate chocolate and crap everyday before coming to the gym because I would burn those calories first. 0_0.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    "you will kill your metabolism"

if your metabolism is dead, so are you.
  • gracie2586
    gracie2586 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I think detoxes sound crazy at least the extreme ones i'm sorry i need to be able to control what and when things come out of my body and i heard some detoxes inhibit that ability.No thanks i'll pass
  • susanmary88
    Options
    i do that with bread rolls! makes more room for fillings and cutting out some of the cals. I dont think its ridiculous at all! (also i dont throw away the left overs, i feed it to my dog!)
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    hcg