worst comment ever made about your weight

Options

Replies

• hollyk57
    hollyk57 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    From my mother, of all people. I believe I was about 13 at the time (she doesn't remember/won't admit to ever saying this), & she was dragging me to Burger King for dinner (I have NEVER liked Burger King, & at that age it's not like I had that much of a say in where we ate...)

"There's a difference between 'neat' fat & 'sloppy' fat, & you're getting into sloppy territory"

The kicker? I weighed 125 & was 5'3.5". I've been the same height since I was 12, & I didn't get 'fat' until I was in grade 9 (125 turned into 175 in about 6 months)

ETA: Oh god, the floodgates opened.
    My mom's friend commented on how I always seemed to have a boyfriend. My mom said "It's because she's a *kitten*". I overheard & protested, & my mother replied with "Well, it's obvious they're not with you for your looks - no one likes fat girls"

That is just messed up. No one should get that from their parent - ever.

OMG... your mom sounds horrible. Are you sure we don't have the same parents? Like my mother who told me I was talentless and wouldn't amount to anything? Or that she decided I was both a *kitten* and a lesbian because she hadn't met my boyfriend so I must have been making him up. Or when she heard me singing in my room one night when I was in high school, the next morning she said, "you know, you really shouldn't sing, you sound horrible" (even though I was actually locally performing at the time!), Or the REAL kicker - when I was in high school, my dad, who's about 400 pounds calling me a worthless fatass, beached whale, snot-nosed kid who's wet behind the ears, and then I overheard a conversation he was having with my mother at 3 in the morning that night, where he said he hates me so much and wishes they could put me up for adoption (all because I had a $400 phone bill). Mind you, I was also the GOOD kid, straight A student, working my a** off since I was 14 and had just received a full ride college scholarship... but I was worthless... right. *hugs* to you. Let's commiserate :)!
  • Prefessa
    Prefessa Posts: 90
    Options
    My ex Husband told me that no man would want to see me naked...

A bit of a kicker to my confidence to say the least

Karenjoy....Based on your picture...he must be blind!
  • khk2010
    khk2010 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    The one that finally made me want to lose the weight, "What happened to you?!"
  • bricktowngal
    Options
    OMG all that is horrible but especially the ex-wife!

I've had terrible things said to me, like eww you're fat or one time I was power walking and some teens started throwing rocks at me!
  • bricktowngal
    Options
    I've had that said to me too! Makes you wonder what magic mirror they are looking into that's lying to them doesn't it?
  • FitToBeFab
    FitToBeFab Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    In middle school a boy in my class asked me how much I weighed and when I told him what I thought - since I had no idea, I didn't care, I was 12! - he laughed and said "Yeah right, probably double that"

In high school I had a guy tell me I was too fat to be his girlfriend, but he'd still make out with me as long as I didn't tell anyone.

Since then the only thing that's gotten to me is my mom constantly telling me I need to wear a bigger size. "You want to be comfortable in your clothes don't you?" That, and whenever I go clothes shopping with her (which really isn't all that often) and something is a little snug but I want to buy it anyway, she rolls her eyes when I say I'm losing weight.

It's frustrating because I don't think she really believes in me. Oh well, other people do!
  • thinclo
    thinclo Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    on a night out "salad is not your enemy you know" :noway: I was about 150lbs and a UK size 12 and hadnt really thought i was fat. also a bf once said "if you toned up a bit Id be nicer to you" WTF!?!?
  • ImRadical4Jesus
    ImRadical4Jesus Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Are you pregnant? REALLY!
  • thinclo
    thinclo Posts: 164 Member
    Options

Ive had this comment at least 4 times! its horrible and people dont even realise what they are saying!!! ive even had it from people at least 42lbs heavier than me!
  • caritiger
    caritiger Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I am stunned at how vicious some of these comments are! Incredible.

In comparison mine aren't bad at all, but having grown up in the South, I had a lot of little old Southern women pretending to be nice by saying things like, "You're heavy, but you're pretty in the face" very condescendingly, with the obligatory pat on the arm. Another told me she found a shop where they sold "larger sizes", which she whispered in the same way people would say "cancer". At the time I was about 12, 5'8", and 140 pounds. Apparently that is huge to them.
  • nokittyno
    nokittyno Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Wow, truly disheartening things people say. Truly.
  • bricktowngal
    Options
    I have several! But the one that hurts the most is when I was 16 my panpaw passed away and we had him cremated and because he went to National cemetery you cant watch them be put in the ground

Anywho, My panpaw passing away REALLY took a toll on me and I became an emotional eater, after about a few years of not seeing many family members I ran into an uncle at my aunts and he said "wow you got fat, last time I saw you was at lawrence's funeral. Sure you didnt eat him? we didnt actually see him get buried you know!"

I was so upset and mad it took every fat bone in my body not to knock his *kitten* out!

I would have done just that, knocked his *kitten* out!
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    For as long as i can remember my mom has always said you can stand to shed a few pounds.

I was asked if I was pregnant...I almost cried.

At my gyno appt a few years ago the pa said I needed to lose weight and that no type of bc would work on me. Funny since the pill worked, and I have since gotten off it because I would like to have kids.
  • ThePunkHippie
    Options
    From my mother, of all people. I believe I was about 13 at the time (she doesn't remember/won't admit to ever saying this), & she was dragging me to Burger King for dinner (I have NEVER liked Burger King, & at that age it's not like I had that much of a say in where we ate...)

"There's a difference between 'neat' fat & 'sloppy' fat, & you're getting into sloppy territory"

The kicker? I weighed 125 & was 5'3.5". I've been the same height since I was 12, & I didn't get 'fat' until I was in grade 9 (125 turned into 175 in about 6 months)

My mom's friend commented on how I always seemed to have a boyfriend. My mom said "It's because she's a *kitten*". I overheard & protested, & my mother replied with "Well, it's obvious they're not with you for your looks - no one likes fat girls"

OMG! Your own MOTHER said that about you!? Do you speak to her? If not, anyone would understand. I cannot find words to express how I feel about a mother who would say something like that about her own daughter.

I do - I actually had to move back in with her for a year. I live in the same town, so it's inevitable that I'll see her, so it's just easier to smile & bear it than to tell her I never want to see her again. But once I get out of this town... no contact. ever.
  • tamamommy
    tamamommy Posts: 73
    Options

Edited by ThePunkHippie on Fri 04/20/12 09:45 AM
    ______________________________________________________________________________________________

Your mum should be so fired from your life!!!
  • AmberCHM
    AmberCHM Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    So many of these hurt my heart! I've had a couple of people in the past mistake me for being pregnant (ugh!) but no one has ever been openly ugly to me about my weight.
  • nokittyno
    nokittyno Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Today when I trained my delts they told me Im to shredded and said my veins on my left shoulder were disgusting. :(

lol, Jeez, people insult you if you're fit, or unfit, or just fine! I actually like seeing the veins on people, if you see Rob Riches he has really nice shoulders, probably (for me) one of his best assets, and showing veins is a great looking imo, shows you work hard, and train hard.
  • sarvalfon
    sarvalfon Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Uh, you kicked him out after that, right????
  • sarvalfon
    sarvalfon Posts: 58 Member
    Options

Edited by ThePunkHippie on Fri 04/20/12 09:45 AM
    ______________________________________________________________________________________________

Your mum should be so fired from your life!!!

I agree! What on Earth is wrong with people who have the nerve to say that to their children?!?!?!?
  • SJSharksChick
    SJSharksChick Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Sheesh, reading some of these REALLY disgusts me! People can be SO rude.

The worst comment(s) ever made to me were in high school when I was at my high weight, around 210lbs:

A guy said, "livestock looks better than Tiffany..".

Another said to my boyfriend at the time, "I'd rather have an ugly girl than a pig on my arm like you do".

That kind of stuff really sticks with you, regardless of how long it's been, ya know? :angry: