Fat =/= curvy

Options

Replies

13519485 Posts: 264
    Options
    If you're basing your definition of "curvy" strictly on WHR then technically anything anything <,>, but ≠ 1.0 would be "curvy", unless there's more to the definition like, for example, "curvy" means hip measurement > waist measurement. Then only a ratio <1.0 would be "curvy". My last waist and hip measurements were 51.5'' and 61'' respectively, This gives me a WHR of 0.844 which would make me curvy according to this definition, but certainly not according to "curvy" being any WHR < 0.70.

I don't think I'll ever have a WHR < 0.70 The lowest WHR I think I'd even want is around 0.75, which is definitely a healthy WHR, but not curvy by the restrictive "< 0.70" definition. I personally think that those with WHR <0.70 look kind of silly. I wouldn't want my hips to be that big.

LOL, my WHR is 0.68. Do I look silly?

And I thought 7.0 and below was the standard for curvy WHR. You won't get that without a pretty big difference between your hips and your waist, in which case, you would look curvy, no?

No, love. You're quite gorgeous actually. Perhaps I could adjust my definition of "silly". :wink: Let's make "silly" mean a WHR < 0.63. :tongue:
  • braign
    braign Posts: 89
    Options
    I also did not read all 10 pages, but I read the first page and got the gist that people dislike using <blank> as a descriptor for something they consider bad because they would rather <blank> be applied to them as a compliment instead. Which seems like... "Oh no! Someone fat took our word and now we can't use it to feed our ego!" and I guess my pity doesn't extend that far.

I wish the media would do more to celebrate bodily diversity, rather than just fat > curvy > perfect & some cellulite thrown in for flavour, but I'm frankly okay with fat people calling themselves whatever they wish if they're happy with themselves.
  • kandyjo
    kandyjo Posts: 4,648 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with the OP .... I hate it when someone refers to someone really overweight as curvy... To me, they really don't have a shape... They're just rolly... So, when I consider myself curvy, I don't like being put in the same category as "rolly".
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    Back to actual discussion...

I have a question then. Are only hour glass shapes considered curvy then? Or pears too?
    I'm a bit curious if I fit this "curvy" definition. A little clueless on the topic.
    I usually classify most as athletic, average, overweight, obese since that is all i talk about in nutrition courses xD Mixing in shapes confuses me. I just learned that there is such a thing as a banana shape the other day!

I personally would consider pear shapes curvy. I think it's more to do with hip/waist ratio than anything...at least for me. For instance, my sister has DD's, but no real defined waist and no hips/butt to speak of. I'm not sure how I'd describe her, but it wouldn't be "curvy". Voluptuous maybe?

^^^^^!!!!!
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options
    I don't get irritated by it... possibly because I have more important things in my life than what "society" views as CURVY.. who cares? If you know what YOU are, that's really all that should matter to you.

Le sigh.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    Why is anyone offended if someone who is fat but doesn't have the "ideal" hip-to-waist ratio wants to call themselves curvy? Who cares? Enough with the body shaming, lets all just love our body SHAPE (which can't be changed as opposed to SIZE) whether it's curvy or straight up and down!

No one is offended. Once again jumping to ridiculous conclusions. SO body shaming either. Just stating personal definitions of what "curvy" is. Curvy looks great, and so does the opposite!

Did you read the original post? The OP said they were annoyed when the term curvy was applied to overweight people in general, I hardly think it's a stretch to assume they were offended if they were annoyed. That's great if you think curvy and the opposite look great, but I didn't read any posts on here praising ruler shaped bodies with undefined waists because let's be real, it's not a desired body type by most of the population (again, not talking body fat %, just natural body shapes).

All I'm saying in, why is it of such concern what other people want to label their body shape as, whether it's accurate or not?
  • shanahan_09
    shanahan_09 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Agree with you totally. In today's society we have to sugarcoat everything with nice-nice words to remain PC. Frankly if one is fat, get on board with themself and see it for what it is--especially when the body fat percentage backs up the claim. To me someone who was curvy was Marilyn Monroe, and she was in fantastic shape. Myself, I'm fat...my measurements equal to that of Spongebob Squarpants even tho I don't look like I'm that much overweight. But I still call it by how the numbers are...yeppers, F-A-T!!
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options
    I also did not read all 10 pages, but I read the first page and got the gist that people dislike using <blank> as a descriptor for something they consider bad because they would rather <blank> be applied to them as a compliment instead. Which seems like... "Oh no! Someone fat took our word and now we can't use it to feed our ego!" and I guess my pity doesn't extend that far.

I wish the media would do more to celebrate bodily diversity, rather than just fat > curvy > perfect & some cellulite thrown in for flavour, but I'm frankly okay with fat people calling themselves whatever they wish if they're happy with themselves.

I know I'm curvy, so I don't need non-curvy people to not be called curvy because I wish I was being called it instead (awkward grammar, but never mind).

AGAIN, THIS IS NOT ABOUT FAT PEOPLE.

One more time - THIS IS NOT ABOUT FAT PEOPLE.

It's about shapes.

Sigh.
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options
    If you're basing your definition of "curvy" strictly on WHR then technically anything anything <,>, but ≠ 1.0 would be "curvy", unless there's more to the definition like, for example, "curvy" means hip measurement > waist measurement. Then only a ratio <1.0 would be "curvy". My last waist and hip measurements were 51.5'' and 61'' respectively, This gives me a WHR of 0.844 which would make me curvy according to this definition, but certainly not according to "curvy" being any WHR < 0.70.

I don't think I'll ever have a WHR < 0.70 The lowest WHR I think I'd even want is around 0.75, which is definitely a healthy WHR, but not curvy by the restrictive "< 0.70" definition. I personally think that those with WHR <0.70 look kind of silly. I wouldn't want my hips to be that big.

And I thought 7.0 and below was the standard for curvy WHR. You won't get that without a pretty big difference between your hips and your waist, in which case, you would look curvy, no?

No, love. You're quite gorgeous actually. Perhaps I could adjust my definition of "silly". :wink: Let's make "silly" mean a WHR < 0.63. :tongue:

haha, thanks.

I'd love to see what a ratio of .63 looks like, though. I'd imagine it's lovely. The smaller the better, in my eyes.
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options
    To me curvy is the typical hourglass body shape with a small waist in proportion to the chest & hips. You can be 'curvy' at any size, its more about proportion than size.

Someone who gets it. Take note, people.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options

Damn....I'm so close to the silly range. 0.64. :sad: :sad:

I kid. I couldn't care less. Love your body, ignore haters, proceed to awesomeness.
    13519485 Posts: 264
    Options

haha, thanks.

I'd love to see what a ratio of .63 looks like, though. I'd imagine it's lovely. The smaller the better, in my eyes.

I'd like you to imagine someone with a 25'' waist and 50'' hips. That would be a WHR of 0.50. 25'' waist and 40'' hips would be 0.625. So 0.63 would be, for example, a 24'' waist with 38'' hips.
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options
    Why is anyone offended if someone who is fat but doesn't have the "ideal" hip-to-waist ratio wants to call themselves curvy? Who cares? Enough with the body shaming, lets all just love our body SHAPE (which can't be changed as opposed to SIZE) whether it's curvy or straight up and down!

No one is offended. Once again jumping to ridiculous conclusions. SO body shaming either. Just stating personal definitions of what "curvy" is. Curvy looks great, and so does the opposite!

Did you read the original post? The OP said they were annoyed when the term curvy was applied to overweight people in general, I hardly think it's a stretch to assume they were offended if they were annoyed. That's great if you think curvy and the opposite look great, but I didn't read any posts on here praising ruler shaped bodies with undefined waists because let's be real, it's not a desired body type by most of the population (again, not talking body fat %, just natural body shapes).

All I'm saying in, why is it of such concern what other people want to label their body shape as, whether it's accurate or not?

No, actually, if you read my post PROPERLY, I said the media paints anyone as overweight as curvy.

Meaning, to the media, overweight = curvy.

NOT meaning 'overweight people can't be curvy'.

Again, in my original post, I stated that curviness has f u ck all to do with weight (unless you're so fat, it's hidden), it's to do with shape and bone structure.

NOTHING TO DO WITH WEIGHT OR FAT PEOPLE OR OBESE PEOPLE OR RACISM OR SEXISM OR MISOGYNY OR WHATEVER THE HELL ELSE EVERYONE IS TRYING TO SAY (deliberately without punctuation)

Sigh.
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options
    But just because someone is overweight, like me, I'm still curvy to me and I'm fat.. i have a defined waist and hips... I'm a size 20. I'm getting fit and in shape, not because i'm ashamed of my body but because I want to be a better version of me. I have been told I'm too tiny for guys that like fat girls but too big for guys that like chunky girls... I don't understand why how someone labels themselves bothers people so much... if someone is happy with themselves, when do people enjoy tearing them down.

Le sigh.
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options

haha, thanks.

I'd like you to imagine someone with a 25'' waist and 50'' hips. That would be a WHR of 0.50. 25'' waist and 40'' hips would be 0.625. So 0.63 would be, for example, a 24'' waist with 38'' hips.

Yeah, I get your point.

But still, the 0.63 sounds lovely :love:
  • ShadowSoldier23
    ShadowSoldier23 Posts: 321 Member
    Options

Thank you. Why does it matter if a woman is overweight/obese calls herself curvy? To me that says she needs to feel like cr@p for being big, but instead she may call herself curvy because is confident and comfortable with herself. Not all large women cry in a corner because they are big. Some of them are proud to be who they are regardless of size. To me, whatever makes them happy. If you have never been in their shoes, never been a LARGE (i'm talking 250+lbs here) woman you should not judge. People have body issues at any and every size. People also have confidence and are happy with themselves at any and every size. If someone is 500lbs but they are more than happy with it, who cares?
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options
    to each their own, if it makes person feel better about them selves to say that i see no harm in it, i just dont get why people feel the need to attack people who say it. For the most part I do agree fat dont not = curvy, but like i said if someone calls them selves that I say more power to them, but just IMO

Le sigh.
  • _Blue_
    _Blue_ Posts: 6
    Options
    why do you care? worry about your own body, not everyone else's. if a larger woman feels good and is confident and happy in her skin, assuming her weight isn't putting her in medical danger - which it likely isn't, BMI 25-30 actually live the longest - and wants to call herself curvy, then so be it. any problem with this screams insecurity to me.

By that logic, when I go get a tan I can call myself Latin. Cause actual definitions dont matter, only my interpretation of them.

Because all Latin people are dark skinned? Determining whether someone is curvy IS a matter of interpretation, unlike ethnicity.
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options

Thank you. Why does it matter if a woman is overweight/obese calls herself curvy? To me that says she needs to feel like cr@p for being big, but instead she may call herself curvy because is confident and comfortable with herself. Not all large women cry in a corner because they are big. Some of them are proud to be who they are regardless of size. To me, whatever makes them happy. If you have never been in their shoes, never been a LARGE (i'm talking 250+lbs here) woman you should not judge. People have body issues at any and every size. People also have confidence and are happy with themselves at any and every size. If someone is 500lbs but they are more than happy with it, who cares?

Another person who has completely missed the point.

6a00d8341c9cc153ef0134865ff5cd970c-150wi
  • ksavy
    ksavy Posts: 271 Member
    Options

Damn....I'm so close to the silly range. 0.64. :sad: :sad:

I kid. I couldn't care less. Love your body, ignore haters, proceed to awesomeness.

I thought I was getting close with my .65 but you win :)
This discussion has been closed.