"You don't need to lose any more weight!"

Options

Replies

• kaybelmore
    kaybelmore Posts: 124
    Options
    It's a HUGE pet peeve when people say "ohhh you don't have to watch your calories, you're such a little thing"... meanwhile the reason I look this way is BECAUSE I DO count my calories. I work my butt off! They just assume that if you are small you don't have to watch at all. I work for this every day of my life. It's not easy. Yes...some people eat and eat and eat and ARE little. but don't assume that for everyone! hahah!

Precisely. I'm not naturally-thin. I work hard to get to where I am today, and people just assume that because I am not fat I have that winning pass to eat all the chips and cakes as I like.

Even people who are naturally thin are not naturally toned and can actually have high cholesterol and higher body fat % than you'd think. Plus proper nutrition and exercise can help ward off later in life diseases and boost your longevity Really i think there's no excuse not to work it. and be healthy ;)
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I guess it's cuz people think the only way to be slender -- you know, losing those last 15 pounds -- is to starve yourself. I think the comments often come from genuine concern. But they also come from people who excuse THEMSELVES of losing those last 15 pounds because they don't want to do the hard work, and so they wish everyone else would stop doing the hard work and making them look/feel bad :devil:
  • lau444
    lau444 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    thats the exact reason I don`t tell people that I`m trying to lose weight I just say I enjoy working out and since I don`t limit items from my diet I just eat them in moderation that fit my cal goals most people don`t even know that I`m workint to lose more

Amen! Some things are best left unsaid.
  • MissPorcupine
    Options
    ALL.THE.TIME. -.-
    I have a really small frame and fast metabolism, so I look pretty normal weighing less than an average 5'4" person, but I'm not comfortable with how I look, so telling me that I'll look anorexic after losing weight won't make me stop being healthy and exercise daily.
    Besides, I talked to my doc and he gives me a green light, so mind your own business (or weight), people!
  • mbts08
    mbts08 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    All the time. I just ignore it.
  • Mrs_Moe
    Mrs_Moe Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    arrgghhh!!! I get this all the time. I usually say, no I'm not where I should be, yet or "i'm working on a fitness level not size or scale #" . But someday I'll lift up my shirt and shake my belly (its much smaller but still shakes a little LOL) at them!!!!!
  • lniffa
    lniffa Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I get that every day, it's starting to get old and irritating. I just plant a smile on my face and walk away, no explanation of any kind is given to them. Might seem rude to people, but it's rude to come up to me and tell me that. You don't know what's going on under my clothes.
  • m60kaf
    m60kaf Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I suppose it depends if your society considers ideal as the weight required to sit at a desk and drive a car to go home and watch telly while munching processed food from the supermarket. If it were more relevant - like hunt down a gazelle - chase it - club it and eat it, there might be more realistic expectations.

Fact is 'healthy' of that last century or two would be equal to dead the last couple of billion years of evolution.

Also, they don't matter because they have poor standards!
  • BeccaLevine
    BeccaLevine Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I hate when people tell me to stop loosing weight! Like others said, you look fine with clothes on...but my tummy still has a jiggle to it, so darnit I want to loose another 10lbs! One thing I have a hard time accepting is when people tell me I am skinny. Usually it's people thinner than me telling me this. I just want to shake them, I am NOT skinny, I have lost weight yes, but skinny is pushing it! I guess I just need to learn to accept the compliments, it's better than someone telling you that you could stand to loose a few.
  • hauntgoddess
    hauntgoddess Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Patrick Bateman: Well, you can always be thinner... look better
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Oh dear, I said that to a friend before. I truly thought/think she looks amazing exactly the way she is. After reading this I'll make sure I never say that again. Being so overweight, if someone told me that I'd jump up and down from happiness!
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    As others have said, comparing yourself to the general population would make someone who is healthy and lean look too thin. I was a little concerned about the prominence/visibility of my ribs, sternum and hip bones after losing weight and recently asked my Dr. about it -- he said that's how the human body should look, but compared to most people, it looks underweight.

As for how you know when you are too thin, I'm not sure . . . maybe it has more to do with how you feel than how you look.
  • jenbusick
    jenbusick Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I had a discussion one time with my doctor about comments like this. His response was that we are a fat society and people aren't used to seeing others at healthy weights, so they look abnormal.

Can't agree more. I've told people my goal weight and they think Im nuts (165-170 for 6ft tall). At 185 im just crossing the line between over weight and "normal" My 39 inch waist is more than it should be. But they think I shouldn't lose any more. They just dont know what normal actually looks like...

SERIOUSLY? Wow. My husband, also 6 ft, got up around 185 a few years ago and decided to skip dessert for a while and drop all the extra weight (*sigh* don't get me started on Some People and their lucky genes...). He got down to about 160, and Hubba Hubba baby! 160 looks good on a six-footer, especially if you've got nice shoulders like my tennis-player guy!

Go for it, dude! Good luck to you!
  • SusanLovesToEat
    SusanLovesToEat Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Yeah, my family used to say that when I was normal weight about 15 years ago. I hope to get them to say it again ;-)

No, honestly, I think those people remember you as the "fat" girl and while they may not be jealous they may have difficulty seeing you as you are now and certainly as you will be. Some people (most) have difficulty dealing with change and they want to stop it.
  • emilyrenee1
    Options
    I don't think people do it intentionally, but they are trying to hold you back. People get uncomfortable when your life is changing for the better and theirs is staying the same. I have NEVER gotten this comment from any of my friends who are also making improvements in their own lives- all I get from them is encouragement and support. Just ignore it and know you are doing something great for yourself!
  • jenbusick
    jenbusick Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I had a discussion one time with my doctor about comments like this. His response was that we are a fat society and people aren't used to seeing others at healthy weights, so they look abnormal.

^ This. If you want to know what "normal" looks like, watch a few episodes of "Emergency" on streaming Netflix. It was made in the early 70's, before the obesity epidemic really got rolling. My kid who loves Anything Medical took to watching it recently, and wow, it's amazing how SKINNY all those people are! But... that was NORMAL then!
  • mugofire
    mugofire Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Mind if I steal your quote?? "I really like it.. skinny looks good in clothes, fit looks good naked!"
  • dilleight
    dilleight Posts: 50
    Options
    Well I'm 5'5" and my lowest ever weight is 133lb which I was happy with. If you were the same height as me and 125 and still trying to lose, I might feel like you were saying I wasn't slim enough.

But that would be irrational because everyone is different and we all apply much higher standards to ourselves than to others. I always think people who are bigger than me are actually smaller. However, its a sensitive area so it might be best just to say you're being healthy or keeping fit.
  • soniyamas
    soniyamas Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I got this comment this last weekend from my mother in law. She really looked worried about me being too skinny. I am 5ft 2 inch tall with 130 lbs and no way near skinny. I just smiled and walked away........ in fact it made my day... :flowerforyou:
  • SlimsLiftingMoreThanLipstick
    Options
    Yesterday someone said to me "wow you look great' do you eat?" WOW talk about a backhanded compliment. YES I EAT, A lot actually. I'm toning. Sometimes people are rude!