Smokers At the Gym

Replies

• mccarol1956
    mccarol1956 Posts: 422 Member
    We all pass judgement on other's everyday in our lives.
    We all make premature decisions about other people everyday in our lives.

We all have our own behaviours and life styles which have defined who we are over many years, whether this is a good or bad life style does not matter. It is what it is.

The important thing to remmeber is that almost everyone on this site, regardless of their life style is chosing to make a difference for themselves firstly and for their own personal improvement.

We decide very quickly about other people who do not fall into our ideal of what is good.

Years of performing habits which are not healthy are extremley difficult to break and change whether it is using food, using cigarettes, drinking or drugs etc. I think everyone here knows the amount of will power to make these changes is extrodinary, everyone here has already made this choice and started a journey that will improve their lives for their betterment.

Losing weight is just the first part, not long after we start working out and training, applying small goals for ourselves, these turn into bigger goals. More weight lose, running a 5k, 10k, riding for your bike for 10 miles, 40 miles.

I am a smoker. I smoke 1 pack a day. It takes time to break habits, smoking is a habit that can be broken, and it is another goal in my future to change for myself.

Let's remember where most of us where at physically and emotionally before we all started on this journey that we now can share with others, without judgement, without contempt. But with compasion and with encouragement and with the joy of succeding in making the small changes become the larger goal.

I read this and laughed at myself for getting so puffy about the topic. He's right, and we all know it. Thanks for laying down some real wisdom. You certainly helped me chill out. :glasses:

Thanks for posting this. I get so tired of being judged by someone who probably has their own unhealthy habits. I am dealing with my unhealthy habits one at a time. I try very hard not to judge anyone and would appreciate the same from others.
  • fitJoce
    fitJoce Posts: 137 Member
    I know a lot of people who are in amazing shape, workout every day, and like to unwind with glass of wine and a cigarette. Everyone has their vice. I say to each their own.
  • What I hate are those ugly people who actually think they can show their faces in public. Who do they think they are? Why should I have to look at them....this is my life they are intruding upon. Unless you are perfect with no vices, and good looking while you work out, then you should stay out of MY gym! I'm trying to impress other people with....well....me!

......this is why I don't go to gyms....uptight moral jerks who have nothing but crap to say about others. You are the people that make this journey so hard for us mere mortals.
  • saturnine15
    saturnine15 Posts: 140
    Day 2 afternoon- Mental torture. Bargaining. Thinking just one puff would make it better. Just one! I swear! Hating smokers who havent quit. Hating non smokers. Hating people who congratulate you...nothing matters or makes it better.

Then, drink in hand- weeks or months later, someone is smoking...and I bum one. Repeat process.

TRUTH!!! I just felt so not alone!:laugh: :drinker:

:)
  • jen88ve
    jen88ve Posts: 153
    LOOK WHAT YOU STARTED! :laugh: I'm not even a smoker, but come on! Do you know how many people are on MFP? You didn't think that there was some people that smoke on this website! No need to offend anyone! It's great that they are working out!!! My whole family smokes and I would never tell my mom not to work out because she is going to have a cig later! I support her for whatever she does, and when she wants to quit, I will support her for that too! I'm not saying whose right and whose wrong but I do think that this was a little rude (including all of your comments) and I don't really understand why you needed to post it...:smokin:
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Also last year on mile # 2 of a 5K I stopped and chugged a beer that this one dude was betting a runner to drink it........I did and kept on going....I finished the 5k in 28 minutes by the way:bigsmile:
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    I know a lot of people who are in amazing shape, workout every day, and like to unwind with glass of wine and a cigarette. Everyone has their vice. I say to each their own.

Hell yeah this right here is someone who gets it!! I alsmo workout like a champ and smoke a cig and drink wine to end my nite.
  • firstnamekaren
    firstnamekaren Posts: 274 Member
    I'm a former smoker and I can honestly say that I was at my thinnest when I smoked. I ballooned after quitting, some 6-7 years ago. I can remember after an hour of pilates, I'd chug a cup of water, sit down and smoke a cigarette, feeling so proud I'd just worked out. Gah I miss smoking. However, I DO remember feeling like hell when I'd do cardio. I'll always sympathize with the smokers in the end; even though I know everyone makes a choice to start smoking and non-smokers don't choose to be exposed to second-hand smoke.
  • Most people see food consumption, thus becoming overweight, as addictive behavior as well. Most of us aren't on this site for weight maintenance, initially.
    So... I don't find it humorous, I find it unfortunate that they haven't been able to quit yet. Just like I wouldn't have expected them to mock me on the treadmill because at one point I was morbidly obese.
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    The only thing I've ever seen that cracks me up about fellow gym goers is how they fight for the closest parking spot near the door.

I park as far away as possible. Get a warm up and a cool down going just getting to and from my truck.

That cracks me up too! :laugh:

As for smoking, I used to be a smoker that lit up as soon as I got home from a workout (not int he gym parking lot cause I didn't like smoking in public for other peoples sake)

Anyhow, i was trying to get healthy but had a very addictive habit that I was trying to quit too. Good for anyone that is out there trying to get healthy knowing they have a weakness. Maybe the healthier they get and the better they feel is the motivation they need to go ahead and quit completely.

Sure it is counterproductive in your eyes but what is a smoker supposed to do then, say forget it and just not try to better their health in any way because they have an unhealthy addiction? :huh:
  • chelekaz
    chelekaz Posts: 871 Member
    And that is why I waited until I pulled out of the parking lot to light up my cigarette. It's kind of like having a smoke after sex... very relaxing......
  • rchupka87
    rchupka87 Posts: 543 Member

Also, I love how people de-friend another person for a simple. slightly silly, partially arrogant post. I mean, so it goes in the world of virtual friends. How great is that? Like, flash of lightning, and boom, no more friend. Awesome. Love it.

I am assuming this is directed at me, since I am the only one that has mentioned this on this thread. Yes, I defriended not one, but two people due to this thread. Here are my reasons. #1. I don't associate with judgemental people in "real" life, so why would I accept it in the virtual world? #2. I AM a smoker. I need someone that is going to support me, as a person, smoker and all. Not someone who will tell me that I am nasty and disgusting, and laugh at me in my vain attempts to eat healthier, work out daily, all while being a smoker.

So yeah. I did it. And you are right. I AM awesome, and you SHOULD love it, because I stand up for myself, and don't take **** from bullies.

A flower for you too. :flowerforyou:

And PS - Too bad I lost two friends today. Too AWESOME I got 11 new ones in the last hour, that will support me, smoker and all, through this journey.

And PPS - my new favorite word is ASSHAT! BAHAHAHAHAHAHA
  • outtanms
    outtanms Posts: 237 Member

It's great that there are Perfect Ones to tell the rest of us lesser mortals the Right Way to live. How fortunate we are to be near such viceless pillars of virtue and moral living.

^^^^^^^^this!
  • gomisskellygo
    gomisskellygo Posts: 635 Member
    Most people see food consumption, thus becoming overweight, as addictive behavior as well. Most of us aren't on this site for weight maintenance, initially.
    So... I don't find it humorous, I find it unfortunate that they haven't been able to quit yet. Just like I wouldn't have expected them to mock me on the treadmill because at one point I was morbidly obese.

This.:flowerforyou:
  • DeeJayTJ
    DeeJayTJ Posts: 355 Member
    People are just... really ignorant. Your healthy, pristine lungs will heal any small (imaginary) damage that they come in contact with on any given day. Do you know what pollution is? Car exhaust? Paint fumes? Brief contact with any pollutant, including cigarette smoke, is NOT going to give you cancer. Long term exposure is what you have to worry about, which is why you cannot smoke inside a public building anymore.

I think it's really insane that people go on anti smoker crusades fueled by blind, ignorant fear. Have you ever even peeked at a study on second hand smoke? Or do you just like the pretty posters hanging in public buildings that say smoking is bad?

Do you just enjoy being rude to people or what? I see nothing wrong with people trying to do everything they can to be healthy and extend their lifespan. Who the hell wouldn't be afraid of cancer? People get it all the time for no apparent reason, why take any unnecessary risks that could be avoided and possibly keep them from getting cancer? Who does it hurt? I really don't understand why people are defending this so fiercely. Smoking is BAD for you. Yes, so is pollution, but that's not something that can always be avoided. Smoking is a choice made by those who do it, and they CAN choose not to smoke around other people who don't do it if they really want to be considerate. Whether or not it can or will give someone cancer isn't even the whole of it; it's just plain rude to do that in a public area, period.

It won't give you cancer. Probably as risky as spraying hairspray at yourself in a bathroom. Hairspray is probably worse. Since it is not, in any way whatsoever, hurting you, what is the problem?

There is not always the choice to go somewhere else. Of course it's polite to move away from doors, but you act like they are exhaling a death sentence on you rather than a very minor annoyance.

bm99 - I can't help but notice how much knowledge you have of cigarettes and smoking. I can't imagine how amazing of a scientist you must be.

I'm going to throw away my hair products as soon as I get home LOL
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    I have an even better one. There is a group of girls that work upstairs in accounting. Everyday in the summertime they go on a walk for lunch to stay fit. Then they come back and take the elevator to the second floor.
  • coe28
    coe28 Posts: 715 Member

Thank you for that!! Just because someone smokes does not mean they dont want to lose weight. One thing with smokers is that they are afraid to quit because most people that do quit end up gaining average of 10 to 20 lbs. The reason for this is that smoking speeds up your metabolism and quitting smoking returns it to normal. Not all smokers belong sitting in a trailer park with a six pack of beer and a pack of smokes rolled up in their sleves or just hanging out on street corners with a cigarette hanging out of their mouth. We are functioning members of society and believe it or not have professional jobs, nice homes, etc. Obviously it is a bad habbit and I realize I need to quit sooner rather than later but giving up most soda, cutting way back on drinking, exercising, giving up most foods that I used to love....let me still have one vice...for now. In our state we already cannot smoke is most places so if I smoke outside and it bothers you then go the other way!

Perfect response :wink:
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    I took one drag when I was eaight years old, behind a bush at a public park in NYC. Never did it again. I'll be honest and say I could care less about people I don't know who want to smoke their lives away. But I do get on those I care about. Who doesn't want to have their loved ones as long as possible? As for people who smoke and I'm walking by, simple step. Hold breathe, walk a bit faster. It's get that heart rate up that will help you lose that weight you want. Even if I'm with my boys, I just say, "let's see who can hold their breathe the longest", and we're good. So smokers, keep smoking. You're trying to get fit. Keep at it. Non-smokers, move to the next machine, side of the gym, or hold your breathe for a few precious seconds. You'll live. I promise. God bless you all.
  • bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    People are just... really ignorant. Your healthy, pristine lungs will heal any small (imaginary) damage that they come in contact with on any given day. Do you know what pollution is? Car exhaust? Paint fumes? Brief contact with any pollutant, including cigarette smoke, is NOT going to give you cancer. Long term exposure is what you have to worry about, which is why you cannot smoke inside a public building anymore.

I think it's really insane that people go on anti smoker crusades fueled by blind, ignorant fear. Have you ever even peeked at a study on second hand smoke? Or do you just like the pretty posters hanging in public buildings that say smoking is bad?

Do you just enjoy being rude to people or what? I see nothing wrong with people trying to do everything they can to be healthy and extend their lifespan. Who the hell wouldn't be afraid of cancer? People get it all the time for no apparent reason, why take any unnecessary risks that could be avoided and possibly keep them from getting cancer? Who does it hurt? I really don't understand why people are defending this so fiercely. Smoking is BAD for you. Yes, so is pollution, but that's not something that can always be avoided. Smoking is a choice made by those who do it, and they CAN choose not to smoke around other people who don't do it if they really want to be considerate. Whether or not it can or will give someone cancer isn't even the whole of it; it's just plain rude to do that in a public area, period.

It won't give you cancer. Probably as risky as spraying hairspray at yourself in a bathroom. Hairspray is probably worse. Since it is not, in any way whatsoever, hurting you, what is the problem?

There is not always the choice to go somewhere else. Of course it's polite to move away from doors, but you act like they are exhaling a death sentence on you rather than a very minor annoyance.

bm99 - I can't help but notice how much knowledge you have of cigarettes and smoking. I can't imagine how amazing of a scientist you must be.

I'm going to throw away my hair products as soon as I get home LOL

You didn't get the point.
  • rlwinton
    rlwinton Posts: 101
    You know, I was one of them too....leads to great cognitive dissonance...which leads to great CHANGE....hooray! I have been smoke free for sixty days!