Smokers At the Gym

Options

Replies

• shanny72mc
    Options
    My favorite is to see someone smoking and then when they finish their cigarette they get out their inhaler for their asthma!!:laugh:
  • dore0021
    dore0021 Posts: 137
    Options
    I say good for anyone exercising. EVEN smokers. I didn't start exercising until after I quit smoking but people like you are not helping by saying such things. Be supportive. Perhaps they are at the gym trying to get healthier to motivate themselves to quit smoking. Quitting is hard and not something I would expect a non-smoker to understand but I don't judge smokers, I try to understand and help if I can.

Better than smoking and NOT working out

:drinker:
  • jfrog123
    jfrog123 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking 9 months ago, but started exercising before that. My husband started going on walks with me in the evenings as exercise for him. After a few weeks he decided he wanted to get healthier along with me. It has been 16 days since he had a cigarette and I am very proud of him. But you know what? I was proud of him before he quit; proud of him for going on those walks and taking that first step toward better health. Some people start with exercise then work on conquering their addictions. Others exercise circles around me and are content with being smokers. I have mfp friends who are smokers. I am happy to support them and would never feel it acceptable to judge them. You are entitled to your opinion, just remember not everyone shares it.
  • fitJoce
    fitJoce Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Some people like to eat burritos after working out. Isn't that crazy? ;)
  • thepanttherlady
    thepanttherlady Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    To each his own. I'm trying to lose weight and be healthier but that doesn't mean I NEVER eat junk food.

What I don't like is when I am at the gym and someone who has just smoked gets on the treadmill next to me. I'm very sensitive to cigarette smoke (I also have asthma) and can't stand the smell. THIS bothers the hell out of me!!

So move.

I prefer not to run next to people whose deoderant gives out halfway through, those with the "runner trots" (or the gassy part anyway) or heavy drinkers. So I move.

Good for you. I bought a treadmill for home use so I don't have to put up with it. Next?
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    My favorite is to see someone smoking and then when they finish their cigarette they get out their inhaler for their asthma!!:laugh:

LMAO!!!! I see this and that is exactly my boss!!! I call her the walking oxymoron. She said she is aiming to be a healthy smoker. I love her to death. I've worked with her for seven years. She asked me for tips and says that she has tried to do some things in small spurts but gets winded too easily. Guess the look on my face. She just had a grand daughter and I bought her one of those smokeless cigarrettes. She says its not as satisfying as an actual cigarrette, but enough to help her to do better. She stinks less and is thankful :)
  • dore0021
    dore0021 Posts: 137
    Options
    I've made it my new goal to run a 5k while chain smoking the entire time. Thanks for the motivation!

LMAO... priceless
  • beduffbrickie
    beduffbrickie Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    anyone else find this humorous?!! counterproductive as well.

Not really, seems as you find it humorous, do you also find fat people humorous at the gym?
  • Booboo78
    Booboo78 Posts: 169
    Options
    Haven't really read the full 8 pages of this thread - got as far as "have a flower" :laugh: , but, I find it a bit ironic that it was posted on a WEIGHT-LOSS site in the first place. You know, deaths from obesity related diseases are as high as deaths from smoking related diseases, in fact, it's OVERTAKING smoking as a killer.

It's two sides of the same coin: addiction. Addiction to cigarettes, addiction to food, po-tato, pot-ato....

I'm a smoker myself but I'm weaning myself off of it now, I no longer smoke outside the gym haha. Two words: Paul Mckenna. His hypnosis CDs really do work. I'm down from 30+ a day to only 5 now, after three weeks of listening to his CDs every night. Hopefully in another three weeks, I aim to be completely smoke free.

:flowerforyou:
  • rchupka87
    rchupka87 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I started working out and losing weight on July31st 2011. I smoked over a pack a day. Go to zumba, light up in parking lot. Go for longer than mile walk? Take smokes with you! On Oct 1st I set a quit date of December 1st. Actually quit on Dec 9th.

It has been Time Smoke-Free: 138 days, 5 hours, 5 minutes and 20 seconds

Cigarettes NOT smoked: 2764

Lifetime Saved: 21 days, 2 hours

Money Saved: $828.00

I WOULD KICK KITTENS FOR A SMOKE SOME DAYS (TODAY BEING ONE OF THEM)

I cannot smoke again because I got a tattoo celebrating my quitting and would have to cut off my leg if I started again! So when you smokers light up at the door to the gym could you blow some smoke my way? Thanks!

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: two flowers for me because I am having a rough day

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: THREE flowers for rchupka just because I think I love you. :drinker:

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: And Three for you, cause I love you too! I"ll blow smoke in your face anytime you want. LOL - My sister quit like 10 years ago, and she STILL has me blow smoke in her face!!! :drinker:
  • gerla_k
    gerla_k Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    And now on that note, I'm going for a *kitten* :happy: :flowerforyou:

I'm gonna light up with you :)) :glasses:
  • MizSaz
    MizSaz Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Is it so lonely up there on your pedestal that you've resorted to making fun of the peons as we walk by? Glad you've found an entire demographic of people lesser than yourself.
  • lisanume
    lisanume Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile:
    I just quit smoking 3 days ago. Who are any of you to judge what other people are doing? Mind your own business. :indifferent:

Thank you for that!! Just because someone smokes does not mean they dont want to lose weight. One thing with smokers is that they are afraid to quit because most people that do quit end up gaining average of 10 to 20 lbs. The reason for this is that smoking speeds up your metabolism and quitting smoking returns it to normal. Not all smokers belong sitting in a trailer park with a six pack of beer and a pack of smokes rolled up in their sleves or just hanging out on street corners with a cigarette hanging out of their mouth. We are functioning members of society and believe it or not have professional jobs, nice homes, etc. Obviously it is a bad habbit and I realize I need to quit sooner rather than later but giving up most soda, cutting way back on drinking, exercising, giving up most foods that I used to love....let me still have one vice...for now. In our state we already cannot smoke is most places so if I smoke outside and it bothers you then go the other way!

THANK YOU BOTH!!
    I quit 4 days ago, and I am so ready to gouge someones eyes out.... lol the next person that asks me if I smoked today is gonna get it!!!! :explode:

I am tryng to be better, if I slip and have a puff, oh fricken well, its MY body... I am still NOT going to smoke unles real violence ensues!!:bigsmile:
    I have a list going of people that have pissed me off in the past, and now their time MIGHT be up for a good ***** SLAP!! :laugh:
  • gerla_k
    gerla_k Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    And as for the debate of second hand smoke that is going on here - me personally - I already have stated that I smoke in my car, away from doorways, and down wind from doorways.

But - we smokers are already the outcasts of society. We get yelled at, looked down upon, and scolded for doing something that has existed for as long as humanity has existed. WE are smoking outside of the doors because that is where society has put us. WE are smoking 20 feet away from the entrance, because we can be ticketed or arrested for standing too close to a doorway. We stand in the cold. We stand in the rain. We stand in the wind that we are hoping is not blowing in your direction.

I HAVE to smoke outside. I am NOT intentionally blowing smoke in your face praying you get lung cancer from my second hand smoke. I have ALREADY gone out of MY way to partake in something as an American adult, is legally my right to do. I have already walked the required 20 feet away from the doorway so that I don't pollute your air with my chosen poison. I have just as much right to smoke, as you do to NOT smoke.

We already can't smoke in the workplace, in bars, in restraunts, in stores, in the coffee shop, in the gym, at the airport, on an airplane, on the bus, on a train, while we exercise, while we eat, in the park, at concerts, and any number of other places and situations. So my question to you is, just where would you like me to go?

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • hazelnut861
    hazelnut861 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I love a cigarette after a good workout.
    Me too. It doesn't undo my strength training.
  • cmckenzie2
    Options
    Lost a ton of weight while still smoking. It didn't stop me either losing weight or exercising effectively.

Currently on my third day of trying to quit but it didn't hold me back at all.
  • FreeThotStrm
    Options
    I get annoyed when someone drenched in cologne climbs on the machine next to me, but I'm not going to tell them not to wear it as that's my problem not theirs. I smoke socially when drinking. And yes, I drink, eat bad foods on occasion. I'm not perfect.

But I have worked out with a wicked hangover before. Now THAT is commitment my friends.
  • iam_thatdude
    iam_thatdude Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    second hand smoke is a myth
  • Zero2hero2013
    Options
    its a vice, everyone has had them,smoking drinking, sex before marriage.in my opinion if you need someone to blame it should be the governments. they pushed the ciggarettes onto people many many years ago before we were born, then they found out its bad health points and still didnt care, then they realised the tax they get from smoking vs the (in th uk at least) tax they have to spend on hospital bills changed, fancy that! now because its costing them money they make monstrous campaigns to get everyone to stop.
    everything is a spin
  • Zero2hero2013
    Options
    if the governments didnt want people to smoke dont you think they would make it ilegal?

maybe they do want people to smoke after all.. cant imagine why that could be...