Options

Replies

• nataliefallbach
    Options
    bump!
  • Babygirl928
    Babygirl928 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Not sure why everyone is so impressed with the trainer's reply, especially since the trainer believes in "starvation mode" which simply DOES NOT exist. Let me say it again - it does not exist - unless you are at a Nazi Concentration Camp and have been ritually denied basic sustenance for months and months on end. Even Weight Watchers acknowledges it doesn't exist.

That being said, "eating back" you calories does not have to be an all or nothing proposition. I work out 7 days a week and 5 of those days I work out twice. What I know is that I - along with 95% of other people - grossly underestimate their calorie intake and grossly overestimate their exercise calories. Which means that MOST people will gain if they try to exactly eat back their calories. For example, does everyone wear a heart rate monitor? I do, and when I ran 5 miles Thursday MFP told me I burned 592 calories. My HRM told me I burned 375 - quite a difference. If I was eating back what MFP told me, I would be consuming at least 200 more calories that day.

There is a simple middle ground. MFP wants me to eat 1200 per day, even with "active lifestyle" checked. I changed it to 1400, and I am to eat 1400-1600 per day, every day, no matter what exercise I do. This is what works for me. You may have to experiment with what works for you. 199 pounds gone forever for me so far.

P.S. Google "starvation mode myth" and "muscle burns more per day then fat myth" and you will find hundreds of pages - with dozens of studies showing why this is not true.
    :drinker: :drinker: 119 pounds...WHAT AN ACCOMPLISHMENT!!!! Congratulations :flowerforyou:
  • MinkyMoo13
    MinkyMoo13 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Excellent thanks Would be interested to see what they say from the other side of the coin.. About trying to lose weight when you have been under eating for years.. Like they say in the answer if you starve yourself your body hangs on to every last shred of fat (and don't i know it!)
  • SwimTheButterfly
    SwimTheButterfly Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    YES! Thanks so much for sharing this. I needed to read this.
  • jae6704
    jae6704 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    bump for later reading
  • Smashleymae10
    Options
    Bump for Later...
  • PrncessBre
    PrncessBre Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    bump
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    bump
  • TheTallMan
    TheTallMan Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Good info! Thanks!
  • ADM1979
    ADM1979 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    This has been a HUGE help and something that I needed to hear. Thank you and you have a great trainer! :smile:
  • meme4d2
    meme4d2 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for posting! So good to have an explanation. :flowerforyou:
  • hbaby08
    hbaby08 Posts: 75
    Options
    thanks for posting, it explains a lot
  • fishergreen
    fishergreen Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Great advice!
  • shell6469
    shell6469 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I Love this place! Thanks.....:smile:
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    This was helpful but she didn't mention basal and resting metabolic rates which are what change when we eat too little. When we eat too little, our bodies reset the BMR to a lower leveel and all else remaining the same, it stays lower even when the famine is over and we eat "normally" and weight gain ensues. The only way to bring it back up is through exercise, decreasing body fat and increasing muscle mass. There was an article about a month ago in the NYTimes about how even with thosse chages, most formerly overwight and obese people will always need to consume fewer calories than an equal weight/age/gender/body fat person who has never had weight issues. The thinking is that the formerly overweight person becauw of failed past diet attempts has essentially permanently reset his or her basal metabolic rate. Also, there is thinking that our bodies set a desired fat % point in our young adult years below which, the body simply does not want to go (again the survival in the face of famine response).

I have that one here ya go NY Times Mag. article - "The Fat Trap"...

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2012/01/01/magazine/tara-parker-pope-fat-trap.xml
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Finally a trainer who is rational and intelligent.

I've seen so many "my trainer told me" posts that were just ridiculous and shouldn't have come out of the mouth of a trainer.
  • mlkiel
    mlkiel Posts: 91
    Options
    Great info, thanks:flowerforyou:
  • savannahgur
    savannahgur Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    bump
  • HotCuppaJo
    HotCuppaJo Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    That was a GREAT read...very informative! Thanks so much for posting this! :flowerforyou: