Walking With Pedometers

Options
This thread is dedicated to those of us who love walking with our pedometers. Please return here often - daily or almost daily if possible to record your progress, discuss any related issues, as well as to gain support from, and offer support to, fellow walkers. Share motivational tips with others, talk about your favorite places to walk, e.g., outside, on a track or treadmill, in a mall, using DVDs, and discuss walking-related goals, e.g., weight loss, preparing for a 5k, building stamina, etc. Have a favorite brand of walking shoe or pedometer you want to mention? All you need to join is an interest in walking and a pedometer.

Replies

• berlin80210
    berlin80210 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I've been wanting to get a pedometer so bad. What would you recommend for a pedometer-newbie?
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    I've been wanting to get a pedometer so bad. What would you recommend for a pedometer-newbie?

Omron HJ-72OITC

You can carry it in your pocket. It automatically resets at midnight. It remembers how many steps you walked in days past. You can link it to your PC and keep track of your steps. Easy to read. shows distance and calories burned
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • Peschuntz
    Peschuntz Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    My recommendation would be to buy either an Omron HJ-112 or an Omron HJ-720ITC. I own both models and both have undergone stringent tests and emerge as the most accurate. They have large, easy-to-read faces, and measure steps, walking and running steps, along with calories burned. Both also contain a memory so you can see how you progress throughout the week.

The Omron HJ-720ITC comes with wonderful software which demonstrates your daily progress (upload daily data through USB port) through the use of colorful graphs. The graphs show during what times during the day you were most physically active, and of the steps you took, how many were walking vs. aerobic steps. You decide your daily goal, and when you meet that goal, an adorable smiling face shows up on the screen. Believe me, the graphics are very motivating. (I would recommend you look for your pedometer on ebay or amazon since they have the best prices.) Good luck, and perhaps you will come back and join our group here!
  • Peschuntz
    Options
    Now for my own progress report . . . I walked 3 miles (2.5 were with my dog and the other half was walking to and from my car. I try to park far from my destination.) I also walked at a 4.5% grade for one mile on my treadmill at a speed of 3 MPH. I just finished a walking DVD entitled "Three Fast Miles" with Leslie Sansone. All together I completed 7 miles today. (I went to Weight Watchers this evening and lost 1.9 pounds this week.) I hope more of you guys check in today. I would love to hear from you.
  • gettinfitmama
    gettinfitmama Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    bragging on myself :smile:

Took my kids to the baseball game via the MetroLink and walked a ton!!! :drinker:

Then I decided that I couldn't just sit around while watching the premier of Biggest Loser (on DVR) so...

I did 30 minutes on the elliptical and 30 minutes on the treadmill for an additional 6199 steps. YAY

total steps today = 20514

This group has been what I have needed to get back on track.

Thanks!!! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • gettinfitmama
    gettinfitmama Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I have the $15 pedometer from WalMart, keeps up to the past 7 days.
    A little tough for me to set (I needed my computer hubby to help me measure my steps to set it) but I love it so much that I wore it a ton and accidentally caught the clip and broke it off so I bought another one....

After I get into the great habit of wearing it again, I may upgrade.
  • klaflamme
    klaflamme Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I heard the new Nano iPods have a pedometer in them... a long with a radio... camera / video recorder. Thought you all might want to know that - they are about $150.00 though.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    I've used a pedometer since 2005 and have kept a record of my steps in a spreadsheet. This helps track my progress and motivates me. If your curious, that's over 16 million steps or 7500+ miles. I know most of the "step" conversions (biking, yoga, swimming) if anyone is interested.
  • Peschuntz
    Options
    I've used a pedometer since 2005 and have kept a record of my steps in a spreadsheet. This helps track my progress and motivates me. If your curious, that's over 16 million steps or 7500+ miles. I know most of the "step" conversions (biking, yoga, swimming) if anyone is interested.

I'm curious as to what pedometer you use?
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    I have this Omron & love it! I've checked it against this website & others & it seems pretty accurate.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_2_3?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=omron+pedometer&sprefix=omr
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options

I'm curious as to what pedometer you use?

I use an Omron HJ-105. They usually run $10-$15. 7 day memory and they have a "giggle" adjustment, so you can get a more accurate reading.
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    Yesterday I walked 12,411 steps which is not as good as I'd like but great considering that I spent the middle of the day sitting and knitting and talking with friends for three hours----hours that I could have been walking :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Right now my pedometer is my Sony Ericsson Walkman phone from A T & T
    If my next phone doesn't have a step counter then I'll get an Omron HJ-720ITC like the one my husband uses and loves.

For a long time I've put a sticker on my calendar any day that I walked 10,000 steps. I've raised that to 11,000 now to challenge myself.:bigsmile:
  • Peschuntz
    Options
    Whoa, somebody shoot out my kneecaps!!! I did a difficult strength training video for 45 minutes (and if I do one more lunge I will scream). My pedometer tells me I've only walked 5.47 miles today. It might be more since 3 of those miles were fast-paced using Leslie Sansone's "Walk at Home 5 Day Simdown." ( I have a feeling the pedometer isn't designed to measure some of the moves in these tapes, so I would rather underestimate than overestimate.) I was so beat after the first tape but I realized I ate more calories and would be "overdrawn" if I didn't do additional walking, so now I am ok. How was your day?
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    Yesterday I walked over 18,000 steps:bigsmile:
    My husband hurt his back :sad: so I got to do all the dog walking, I had a two hour line dance class in the morning, and the dogs and I got to spend almost an hour at the dog park.

I'm looking forward to hearing from the rest of you:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
    Barbie
  • everyday
    Options
    I would like to join:smile:

I have a Omron Pocket Pedometer, Model HJ- 112.... its simple to use and tracks steps, aerobic steps/ mins, ( the mins are right on with TM) kcals, miles for 7 days. Also has a digital clock and safety clip.

I'll start tomorrow, its going to take a lot of step -N to keep up with u all :wink:
  • Peschuntz
    Options
    Welcome, everyday. This thread is for posting your steps or mileage - everyday!
  • everyday
    Options
    Welcome, everyday. This thread is for posting your steps or mileage - everyday!

Yes Sir- reeee..... Pes!!! You got it :wink:
  • Peschuntz
    Options
    Good evening one and all. I just completed Leslie Sansone's "5 Mile Fat Burning Walk." Earlier today I took my dog to the park and we walked approximately 1 1/2 miles. Nonetheless, my pedometer indicates my daily total was 5.38 miles (Again, the pedometer may be underreporting actual steps since some of the moves on the DVD are lateral ones. I'm not sure, but I feel great.) Tomorrow I'll combine strength training and aerobic activity.

I hope to hear from more people even if you're not doing as well as you'd like. Perhaps we can help you by providing some support. Have a great night everyone and a terrific weekend. I'll be back in touch tomorrow. :drinker:
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
    over 14,000 steps yesterday which is due in part to hubby and his back problems and me having to do all the dog walking :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    I am just a beginner so I don't get too many steps in yet. However I am doing more than I thought I could.
    Barbiecat told me about this thread and I will never be able to catch up with her But I will give it my best. This is my second day on my Pedometer I used a walker so I think I done pretty good.
    !st. day 4,000
    today 4,283
    Calie