for heavens sake, I STILL EAT BREAD AND LOSE WEIGHT!

Options

Replies

• Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    You're going to have to pry my bread from my cold, dead, fingers!
  • Laura_Suzie
    Laura_Suzie Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    I went a whole month without having any bread, sugar, carbs, etc. I lost a lot of weight, but hit a plateau. When I finally gave in and had some bread, I found I lost two pounds when I weighed myself the next morning. I say all things in moderation! :drinker:
  • MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Which entire cultures are based on wheat and don't have an obesity problem? I'm not disagreeing , just haven't heard of them.
  • madamepsychosis
    madamepsychosis Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    seen a lot of posts lately regarding "whole grain/wheat" bread/brown rice.. and such.. I am not understand why alot of people choose to cut them out COMPLETELY... I have lost weight with still eating bread, at a deficit.. eating healthy and working out...

please tell me I am not the only one? share YOUR success so we can put the "bad carbs" posts to rest!

WHAT IS THIS WITCHCRAFT?!

Nah, just kidding. I eat bread, pasta, rice and such. I just eat it at a deficit and exercise. I've lost 15lbs so far.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Please help save my "health". How am I destroying my good health by not eating grains?.... And BTW, I don't participate in portion control, I eat as much as I want.

You're not destroying your health. If its working that's great. How many calories are you consuming? For a lot of low carbers the eat as much as you want does work but they are creating a caloric deficit. For those that it doesn't work - it is not creating a caloric deficit - they still over-eat.
  • Aineko
    Aineko Posts: 163
    Options
    Which entire cultures are based on wheat and don't have an obesity problem? I'm not disagreeing , just haven't heard of them.
    A lot of Eastern Europe, and particularly the Balkans. Bread (white bread) is the alpha and omega of the diet, practically a religious item (you get told of as a child if you dare play with or throw away your piece of bread) and 'fast food' is basically pastry (as I said, you go to bakeries for food on the go). Bread is eaten with absolutely every meal (I mean EVERY, including meals with potatoes and similar; some ppl even eat bread with pasta meals, I don't :)) - so much that even 5 years after moving away from there I still feel like I didn't have a meal if there was no piece of bread present (and by bread I mean real, freshly baked bread, the one that lasts only couple of days, not the stuff you buy in the supermarket - bread is supposed to have crust! :) unless it's a flat bread, which is also yummy)
    Mediterranean, with a lot of pasta and pastries would be another example.
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Bread is mystical for me. It's one of the first foods and it's SO TASTY. How the hell did they figure out yeast? It's just crazy and marvelous.

I don't even eat bread that often, but it's very serious to me.. just by making it, I feel like I'm providing something -amazing- for my family. I think most bakers would agree there's something spiritual and calming about it.

I don't think something that's pretty much been around since the dawn of humanity, something so important to so many cultures could be bad for you. I love baking. I LOVE homemade loaves, rolls, flatbreads, rich brioche and basic but complex artisan boules and batards... I even eat the tasteless fluffy stuff you buy from supermarkets.
  • prettytothinkso
    Options
    I eat bread. And lose and gain the same 5 lbs over and over. I don't blame the bread. Bread is tasty goodness. Eat it, and be happy.
  • Aineko
    Options
    Bread is mystical for me. It's one of the first foods and it's SO TASTY. How the hell did they figure out yeast? It's just crazy and marvelous.
    oh, it's good without yeast as well :). I love flat breads. Flat bread was my main breakfast item when I was a kid.
  • suziecue66
    Options
    A lot of Eastern Europe, and particularly the Balkans. Bread (white bread) is the alpha and omega of the diet, practically a religious item (you get told of as a child if you dare play with or throw away your piece of bread) and 'fast food' is basically pastry (as I said, you go to bakeries for food on the go). Bread is eaten with absolutely every meal (I mean EVERY, including meals with potatoes and similar; some ppl even eat bread with pasta meals, I don't :)) - so much that even 5 years after moving away from there I still feel like I didn't have a meal if there was no piece of bread present (and by bread I mean real, freshly baked bread, the one that lasts only couple of days, not the stuff you buy in the supermarket - bread is supposed to have crust! :) unless it's a flat bread, which is also yummy)

Are you Serbian? I am Serbian and my whole family. My mum is the same if she doesn't have bread with a meal its not a meal.
  • Climber14
    Climber14 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Keto diets are a fad!
  • Aineko
    Options

Are you Serbian? I am Serbian and my whole family. My mum is the same if she doesn't have bread with a meal its not a meal.

hahahha is it that obvious from my love of bread? :happy: (Serbian, grown up in a village - you can get the picture :) )
  • hazev74
    hazev74 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    i still eat bread pasta etc just not the massive portions i used to. i also move my *kitten* more in everything i do. as long as i control my portions im okay. i have at least 2 slices of bread every day and look at my ticker. started this properly in jan!
  • JessLLoser
    JessLLoser Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Carbs and sugar are two different things. But from what I`ve heard on here and countless books I`ve read, diets I`ve tried. The only thing that works is.....

Moderate calorie cut, and exercise and enjoying life.

My Tdee is 3000 cal per day? I eat only 2000, I never lose and indeed gain a lb a week. Make sense?

Let you know if I lose from now. Not successful eating minimal calories. At ;5'9" you can`t eat 1500 cal per day forever. No carbs is just another industry money making scheme. You do not have a disease, you just need to cut back a little, in a few months you`ll be slammin.
  • suziecue66
    Options

hahahha is it that obvious from my love of bread? :happy:

No, you mentioned Serbia in your About Me. When someone comments I like to look at their profile to see where they are coming from. I love bread too but a bit too much!
    My parents grew up in a village in Serbia. I was born in Kikinda when they moved there and later moved to Australia.
  • Aineko
    Options

hahahha is it that obvious from my love of bread? :happy:

No, you mentioned Serbia in your About Me. When someone comments I like to look at their profile to see where they are coming from. I love bread too but a bit too much!
    My parents grew up in a village in Serbia. I was born in Kikinda when they moved there and later moved to Australia.
    oh, you are from Vojvodina - you guys love bread stuff even more than us down south :)
  • suziecue66
    Options
    "oh, you are from Vojvodina - you guys love bread stuff even more than us down south :)"
    END QUOTE

Must explain why I love it so much and can't stop at 1 slice and explains why I failed at low carb so many times.!
  • Aineko
    Options
    "oh, you are from Vojvodina - you guys love bread stuff even more than us down south :)"
    END QUOTE

Must explain why I love it so much and can't stop at 1 slice and explains why I failed at low carb so many times.!
    Serb on a low carb diet - that's a disaster waiting to happen lol :D

just to illustrate why I think that "wheat doesn't make you fat. sitting on your *kitten* makes you fat":

it is hard to find good studies of obesity in Serbia but I think this one nicely illustrates huge importance of active lifestyle:
    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1467-789X.2009.00574.x/abstract

diet wise, these kids are eating very similar food. If anything, kids in villages will eat more bread and high fat (animal fat) food. however, boys growing up in villages are way more active than those in cities.

Unfortunately, like in other western countries, obesity in Serbia seem to be on the rise, especially in the last decade. the diet is not changing, the lifestyle does.
  • suziecue66
    Options
    END QUOTE

just to illustrate why I think that "wheat doesn't make you fat. sitting on your *kitten* makes you fat":

it is hard to find good studies of obesity in Serbia but I think this one nicely illustrates huge importance of active lifestyle:

diet wise, these kids are eating very similar food. If anything, kids in villages will eat more bread and high fat (animal fat) food. however, boys growing up in villages are way more active than those in cities.

Unfortunately, like in other western countries, obesity in Serbia seem to be on the rise, especially in the last decade. the diet is not changing, the lifestyle does.

yeh, definitely didn't succeed as a low carber and unfortunately wasted my time doing the same thing and expecting different results plus it's hard to not eat pita.

Agree on the lifestyle change.
  • weathergirl320
    Options
    END QUOTE

Balkan diets are not wheat based. They include some type of bread or pasta, but the main staple is meat. They eat bread as a side or a snack, or a pastry on the go, but the main meal consists mainly of meat traditionally. And also, obesity is on the rise because now, they are including more bread like you just stated.