Want better results???? Ditch the elliptical and......

Options

Replies

• ShawnaCurley
    ShawnaCurley Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    To each his own!
    I love my elliptical, it's really the only thing I can use without killing my knees, and I also have feet problems.
    Hmmm, doesn't burn that many calories, huh? Makes me wonder how I lost 26 lbs, if it doesn't work that well?
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    If a machine is so unpleasant I dread doing it, it's not a good machine for me. I use the treadmill and the elliptical, although I sometimes find the elliptical awkward.

I've tried the step mill once or twice and I had a home stairmaster machine, which I never used. What a waste of money.
  • chanson104
    chanson104 Posts: 859
    Options
    (1) Cannot afford gym fees; (2) Cost of one of those machines is OVER $2,000 and up to around $5,000; 3) I moved from my lovely home to this nice two story apt. building for those over age 55. I'm on the 2nd floor and our building has an elevator BUT... I'm taking the stairs a lot more these days & wearing my FitBit.

(4) Climbing the stairs, regularly, for fitness is FREE
    (5) I keep my car in the parking garage under the building. Now, when I come in with groceries, I don't use the elevator to haul them upstairs in one trip. I carry them up and make as many trips with the bags as necessary. To begin with, carrying a heavier load up the stairs helps burn more calories AND.... I'm getting my flights of stairs in for fitness for the day.
    (6) I'll be 75 in early December this year. What's your excuse?
    I love you. :flowerforyou:
  • mruntidy
    mruntidy Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Is it me or are all the people that say the elliptical is easy just not putting the resistance up enough, cause on intervals of 16 and 18 on a life fitness machine its done the trick for me, but then someone said spin was easy too, go figure
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Yup, I was right, all the elliptical people came out and got offended in full force! I never said it didn't have it's uses, but people are going to twist things how they see fit. to the guy who lost 200 pounds. CONGRATS!! Something tells me though..that you also cleaned up your diet. give yourself credit, it wasn't just the elliptical machine.

And if he'd used the stepmill, his benefits wouldn't have been completely attributable to that machine either.

I'm not offended. (The crack about the elliptical being such a wuss machine that it was only suitable for the unfit and the elderly was gratuitously dumb.) I don't love the elliptical trainer; I just don't like the stepmill at all.
  • Fit_Canuck
    Fit_Canuck Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    hit the step mill instead. Non jarring, more effective, actually simiuates USABLE REALISTIC movement. When I used to train, I slowly converted many a soccer mom to the step mill. I can't tell you how many of those women would brag about how they could go for an hour on the elliptical and burn SOOOO many calories....um hmmmmm.

5 minutes on the step mill at a level 5 and they were panting and DONE.

Elliptical is a great start for poeple who are unfit or elderly. Once you're past the "newbie" phase of exercise however, it's time to step it up..literally!!

I know I'm gonna get a hundred replies of offended people who just swear by the elliptical. For some reason that machine has a cult following (probalby because it's easy and shows huge calorie burns..which are false..but that is another thread). But...there is a reason that very few trainers actually use them THEMSELVES. It's unnatural movement, it's too easy to wimp out on it, and it's just simply not enough once you hit a more advanced level of fitness.

Flame away...most trainers are on board with me on this one. Step mill. GO THERE...

Elliptical is great for the unfit and elderly...wow, I'm not quite sure what to say at this point, I guess my 600cal workout on it this morning was because I'm an old man at 33..
  • mruntidy
    Options
    Yup, I was right, all the elliptical people came out and got offended in full force! I never said it didn't have it's uses, but people are going to twist things how they see fit. to the guy who lost 200 pounds. CONGRATS!! Something tells me though..that you also cleaned up your diet. give yourself credit, it wasn't just the elliptical machine.

So by that logic does using a stair mill make any difference either if people clean up their diet?
  • Fit_Canuck
    Fit_Canuck Posts: 788 Member
    Options

So by that logic does using a stair mill make any difference either if people clean up their diet?

Well said, I love how the fact that I enjoy running, jogging, biking, swimming, tennis, golf doesn't matter because I enjoy the elliptical machine ( machine of choice for old people / noobs by the way ) and don't do Stair mill

And the fact that that OP could have stopped at recommending the benefits of the Stair Mill vs continuing with " This is for old people etc...and I know I'll offend the Elliptical People " and then gets offended when people say they see benefits for the elliptical machine speaks volumes to the intent
  • lyssaloo
    lyssaloo Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    (1) Cannot afford gym fees; (2) Cost of one of those machines is OVER $2,000 and up to around $5,000; 3) I moved from my lovely home to this nice two story apt. building for those over age 55. I'm on the 2nd floor and our building has an elevator BUT... I'm taking the stairs a lot more these days & wearing my FitBit.

(4) Climbing the stairs, regularly, for fitness is FREE
    (5) I keep my car in the parking garage under the building. Now, when I come in with groceries, I don't use the elevator to haul them upstairs in one trip. I carry them up and make as many trips with the bags as necessary. To begin with, carrying a heavier load up the stairs helps burn more calories AND.... I'm getting my flights of stairs in for fitness for the day.
    (6) I'll be 75 in early December this year. What's your excuse?

You, my dear, are awesome! I hope to still be climbing stairs when i'm 75!
  • sawyermark
    sawyermark Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Me personally I find if I mix up the stair stepper, elliptical, arc trainer, and treadmill it works best for me. If I do just one my body gets use to it and I don't get as much out of it or I get bored.
  • Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    I agree the elliptical and MPF show crazy high amounts of calorites burned. I use the elluptical on my off day for training for marathons. The stair machines are killer. Too much for "rest" days for me. I would also say running burns more calories.

Same here. Plus I have a HRM so I don't use the machine counter. Rest days, I only do 40 mins.

I don't even know what that machine is but I used to have an old school stepped but it broke, I loved it! Now, I can't stand machines so I would rather go outside!
  • HelloSweetie4
    HelloSweetie4 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    When I was a member at a gym a couple years ago, one of the many times I tried to lose weight and failed, I liked the elliptical. Now that I'm actually making progress in my weight loss, it seems to easy. I did it before because I have bad knees and it was easier on them. Now that I've dropped a few pounds I prefer to jog or run on the street and my knees don't hurt. I also do stairs climbing on our back steps outside. I wish I had a stair machine so I wouldn't have to only do it on nice days. Rain and concrete steps don't mix well lol.
  • Neecy_Pooh
    Neecy_Pooh Posts: 122
    Options
    I love the step mill and use it at level 10 or 11 and burn about 13 cals per minute. I do not like the elipticals because I cannot stand the movement. It isn't a realistic movement for me. I run on the treadmill, use the upright stationary bike, row machine and the step mill. Using all of those in for ten minutes each I can burn about 550 in 40 minutes. LOVE it!
  • annabanana1786
    annabanana1786 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    bump to finish reading later
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    I see your stair mill, and raise you one outdoor run on varied terrains.

When I want better results, I put on my shoes, and go run up and down stairs at apartment complexes, football fields, and wherever else steps are available. Or I find really big hills somewhere. All free, and they don't require me to stand in line waiting for a machine, wiping down after someone else uses it, or any kind of set-up. That and I don't see the point in training to walk up and down revolving stairs that don't go anywhere. My hikes in the mountains don't involve a mountain that rotates under me while I just stay one place.

Though that would be pretty cool.
  • MsQt
    MsQt Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I lost almost 200 lbs on the elliptical.............I wish someone had told me sooner it didnt work

Dude! Best post in the entire thread! Thanks for your contribution.

:drinker:
  • michellepierce1
    Options
    I am fortunate enough to have a stair master at home. I bought one a few years ago for a killer deal of $450 from the original $1200 this one was valued at around this year. I never used it but knew it was a killer work out. I now use it on the days I just can't get to the gym or don't get to go to Sloan Lake and run. I agree this is the work out to have on hand. Quick, easy, BRUTAL.
  • mruntidy
    Options

Any exercise will "make a difference". Heck, you don't even need to exercise AT ALL to lose weight if you don't want, as long as your calories in is less than yoru calories out. It's not just about calories. It's about challenge, effort, striving to hit a "10" in your exertion. If you just want to burn some calories to lose weight or work off that piece of cake..then sure...paddle away ont he elliptical for an hour. I guess I shouldn't have assumed that everyone was into fitness for fitness.

As far as the ellliptical being for the unfit and elderly. I stand by that comment. When you get "good" on the elliptical, why wouldn't you want to step it up? I just don't get being content with a certain level. I do'nt want to "maintain". If i can do 20 push ups, I wanna work to 25, or do one arms, or do them weighted. I don't just hit 20 and think "oh good, I made it, now i'm done". I"m competitive. I race, I like challenge.Fitness is a lifeslong pursuit for me, not just a tool to get thin.

Again, if you ARE content with where you're at, and you LOVE plugging away on the elliptical, then do so. For the rest of you (who don't have messed up knees and DO go to a gym) try the step mill. Hell..it was just a suggestion.

Ok, to break that down then 'any exercise makes a difference' exactly
    Paddle away on the elliptical - are you assuming that everyone merrily goes at no resistance? I always push as hard as i can every time i am at the gym as im sure you do as well, plus im not assuming that just because you use a stair climber that you are not working out to 100% in the gym.
    'When you get good on the elliptical why wouldn't you want to step it up?' i do, it has resistance levels and i get great fitness results out of it doing intervals incorporated into my circuits.
    Not being content drives me forward
    'if you want to work off that piece of cake paddle away on a *insert any machine,circuit,routine,song and dance here*
    You might not have assumed wrong but im guessing that a fair amount of people would take offence at you blanket brushing them for doing something to then say by the way what you're doing is wrong, you aren't doing this for fitness and you should do it my way. Out of interest how would you feel if someone said that to you cause they used an arc trainer or a super muscle burner turn me into a god in five minutes 4000 machine?

I'm doing this to get thin, i'm doing this to get fit, i do it to compete and now i'm doing it to beat you, using an elliptical to boot
    Of course, that's all just my opinion
    :wink:
  • MsQt
    MsQt Posts: 793 Member
    Options

That's just what I was thinking! I lost my first 14 lbs on the elliptical, then I started on the cybrex, then the stepmill, then the leg-press, and squat machine, and so on and on. Now I use everything at the gym to my advantage. I always switch it up and increase intensity and every machine there! Not only that, sometimes I used my own resistance in exercising. Of course foods in my kitchen also help me get the results that I have now and there is no signs me stopping.