Don't call me that!

Options

Replies

• frootcat
    frootcat Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    My name is Kathleen, but I generally go by Kati or Kate. I don't particularly care what people call me, but I'm always vaguely amused when people decide to become familiar and call me Kathy or Kath. My ex-husband's divorce lawyer did that at our big sit-down meeting, and I didn't say anything, but both my lawyer and my ex did, lol.
  • heyydanie
    heyydanie Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    My name is Danielle, and I hate being called that. I prefer Danie.

I also hate being called (I'll have to do this phoenetically because otherwise it won't be different) Dan-yell-EE. I get that quite a bit from telemarketers. Also Daniel.

Daniel. Danielle. TWO DIFFERENT NAMES.

My dad calls me Doodle or Doodlebug. That doesn't bother me. The rest of my family calls me Dax-4 as a sort of family joke. When I was little, 4 or 5, my uncle (who I only see once every couple years) asked me if I knew how to write my name. I told him I did so he got me a pen and paper, and I wrote Dax-4. And now I get called that all the time. -______-
  • Luvmesumkenny
    Luvmesumkenny Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    ♥ My name is Michelle...
    My closest friends call me shell.. Which I don't mind
    my middle name is Lynn so put those two together..
    MICHELIN
    I HATE THAT!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm not a damn tire!!!!
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    Hey,

My boyfriend just called me Rach, and for some reason I really don't like being called only Rach.. the names Rachael!

Anyone else dislike having their named shortened, or even prefer their shortened name to their full name (feel like you're in trouble if you're called by your full name?)

What nicknames or pet names do you love or hate?

I think people should be called what they've asked to be called, once they've stated this. Before that, I don't believe there's any room for offense.
  • finallyFIT_ForMe
    Options
    My name is Angela and I hate it when people assume they can call me Angie without even asking.
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    My name is Chase, it's pretty hard to shorten it.

My personal pet peeve is when people purposely name their kids one thing so they can call them something else... like "We're naming him Alexander so we can call him Alex." Why even bother with the long name?
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options

I love your name!

My name is Christine, used to be called Christy. My family still does, and I answer it to. When I was a kid, I decided I wanted to go by Christine. I answer to Chris, Christine, Christy, anything that sounds remotely like it. I tell little kids my name is Christy though - it's easier.
  • FadedFreckles
    FadedFreckles Posts: 81 Member
    Options

My personal pet peeve is when people purposely name their kids one thing so they can call them something else... like "We're naming him Alexander so we can call him Alex." Why even bother with the long name?

My name can't be shortened either.

My let peeve is when people name their kids the shortened versions of the traditional names. For example Ben instead of Benjamin or Maddy instead of Madeline. Goes to show you can't please everyone! Hehe.
  • mmtiernan
    mmtiernan Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    My name is MIchelle and I just hate Shell or Shelly. Or worse, when someone mispronounces it as "Mitchell"! When I was little, my family called me Micki, which was cute then, or Missy which was shortened from LIttle MIssy Muffett ( a name my maternal grandmother gave me when I was a baby, apparently!). I was okay with Micki, but didn't like Missy very much however no calls me by either of those names any more.

I did have a co-worker that called me "Belle", from the song (Michelle, ma belle) and also because he thought that I looked like Belle from Beauty and the Beast. He was a sweet guy and a good friend, so I didn't mind.

I named my daugther Katherine, a family name, and we both absolutely hate it when someone calls her Kathy! I called her Katiebug as a baby/toddler but she insisted on Katherine over Katie when she hit the first grade. At the fifth grade, she changed schools and her friends started calling her KitKat, which got shortened to Kit, and that really fits her and so she prefers Kit or Katherine.
  • courtcourtfnp
    courtcourtfnp Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    My name is Courtney and pretty much everyone call me Court Court or just Court & it doesn't bother me at all. I actually like it. I also have been called Corky too, which I don't really like, but it doesn't bother me too bad.
  • FlyByJuly
    FlyByJuly Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Yup. Dominique is often shortened to Dom or Dumb. Hate that! I like my FULL name. thank you very much. By the way, my daughter's name is Rachael! Love that name - means "quiet as a lamb"

Well, this is interesting! My name is Doneva. The most often misproununciation of it is as if it is spelled with a U. Duneva. Fkn hate that!! So when you say your name is often shortened to sound like "Dumb" it makes my skin crawl and my teeth itch, just like when ppl call me "Duneva." I've always considered it to be very lazy of them to "shorten" my name that way. Why don't they get it?!!!! Dom, Dum....Don, Dun. Ugh!!! Many, many times when I've introduced myself to somebody..."Hi, I'm Doneva." and they will repeat right back to me "Duneva." Gah! I give somebody only 3 chances to get it right, then I write it up as they are either an idiot or just too lazy/unconcerned to get it right. End rant! :ohwell:
  • _Bob_
    _Bob_ Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I go by Bob, used to go by Robby until some clever girl though it would be funny to call me Bob. I didn't mind Bob so it stuck. But I do have a sister named Bobbie so if you must Call me Bobbie, do it with a Y like this "Bobby" :wink:

"Don't call me white. The connotations wearing my nerves thin,Could it be semantics generating the mess we're in? I understand that language breeds stereotype But what's the explanation for the malice, for the spite?" - A hip band :tongue:
  • Kupe
    Kupe Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    My name can't be shortened - Brett, however, I have friends who have lengthened it to Brettski or Brettels not sure which I dislike more. However I know it is meant as a term of endearment so I just let it slide.
  • Microfiber_wechange
    Options
    Don't call me MADAM :explode:

I don't know what it is. I really don't but I hate being called Madam :grumble:
  • echoica
    echoica Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    My real name is michelle and I get mitch, mitchell, shell and m the most - not a big deal. People sing that song michelle my belle all the time too which is the most annoying thing ever :P For some reason I have had a few boyfriends who like to refer to me as baby which I find particularly degrading.
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    My NAME is Katie.

The government thinks its Kathryn but its not!! Hell no.

I have gone so far as to have the school change it to Katie from Kathryn because I absolutely despise that long version. Makes me feel like a super formal person or older. Which I'm not either!! Ergh gets on my nerves soooooooooo much.

Katie is my name. I cannot stand Kathy either. Sounds frumpy? lol!!! I also don't like any other names you can come up with... Kat is too goth/punkish for me... Katelyn is not my name at all... And anything else you can think of.

My parents also called me Katie. It stuck. And hasn't changed since.

I also have a strong connection with my full long name. It goes really well together. :smile:
  • sandrajune72
    sandrajune72 Posts: 550
    Options
    My name is Sandra, and I HATE it if anyone calls me Sandy. Grrrrrr!!! :laugh:
  • Sockimobi
    Sockimobi Posts: 541
    Options
    I hate my name being shortened to "Foal". Last time I checked , I wasn't a baby horse!!

And in some parts of England, the accent makes it "Fowal" (Midlands accent if anyone knows it) - just makes me criiiiinge!
  • mzdina
    mzdina Posts: 2
    Options
    My name is Dina ( pronounced Deena ). In school, they'd always assume i missed a letter and said Diane or Diana...totally didnt like that.:mad: My grandmother called me Deenie until Junior year when I had my Mom tell her to stop. When I started dating my husband, he immediately starting calling me "D". I thought it was cute. NOW I have relocated from Ohio to New Orleans.......EVERYONE id either "Baby" or "Dawlin". If you come here, you will have an instant nick name:smile:wink:
  • Jules0336
    Jules0336 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    My name is Julie, but I have been called "Jules" over the years from boyfriends. I don't mind it coming from a boyfriend, but other people...no thanks. It kind of creeps me out a bit for some reason