Don't call me that!

Options

Replies

• stablesong
    stablesong Posts: 224
    Options
    Fair to say I get called Leigh sometimes (acceptable, we are twins after all), even by my parents.. in which case I just ignore their request until they look at me properly and realise I'm not Leigh!

My twin sister's name is Natalie and she absolutely despises being called Nat. We do get called each other's name a lot, and even the names of my cousins, mom, etc.
  • EchoOfYourPast
    EchoOfYourPast Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Sandy....do not like it...never had..not even when i was little....i think i was in Kindergarten when i cried over it!!! My family and close friends know this...hubby calls me San alot.....i don't mind that .....i guess it makes me think of dirt ??? When i meet new people and they call me, Sandy, the first thing i do is correct...i guess with a tone because normally they only call me that once :)
    My actual name is Sandra, lol.
    San :)
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    My name is Christine...I love Chrissie but really hate when people call me Chris.

I'm also Christine - and I *only* want to be called Christine. My brother calls me Chris, and I let him - but anyone else who calls me a different variation of my given name will get a polite correction.

Of all the variations, Christina annoys me most. haha
  • lion_queen
    lion_queen Posts: 37
    Options
    I always present myself as Vicky. But my full name is Victoria. In polish, there is one, really pissing me off shortening to my name... but I dont know how to write it in English ;D
  • FitBlitz
    FitBlitz Posts: 146
    Options
    Yup. Nothing irks me more than being called Jami/Jamie. It's Jamian. Call me Jam, if you MUST shorten it. D:
  • lumina0o0
    lumina0o0 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    YES! I can't stand being called Jenny/Jennie/Jenni and I hate it when people spell out JEN with two N's (Jenn) drives me nuts...
  • manasunshine
    manasunshine Posts: 130
    Options
    lol most peeps on here said when theyre called out with their name they feel theyre in trouble. where as i HATE having any sort of nicknames of a shortened name, infactttt i find it intimidating when someone uses my FULL NAME to call me lol weird but its like that =)
  • ElementalEscapee
    ElementalEscapee Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    My real name is Dominique, but NO ONE calls me by that...they call me by Nicci, and some people (namely professors) think they're smart and call me 'Nicole'....NOT MY NAME MOTHERF@CKER!!! >:CCCC *ignores* Also, I dislike pet names like 'baby' lol...I'm not a baby so don't call me one...
  • jgondor
    jgondor Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    My name is Jessica, I get called Jessie, Jess, and sometimes Jennifer. lol. I don't mind any of it but Jessie and Jess is what I got called as a kid so kinda feels weird sometimes to be called that as an adult.

omg me too! I get called Jennifer allllllllll the time and i hate it! I prefer Jes (with one "s") or Jessi, but only Jessi by my family or long-time friends. I would rather not be called Jessica, but I'll deal with it as long as its not Jennifer!
  • ednawhatnot
    ednawhatnot Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Pretty difficult to shorten Dawn, but some of my friends call me Dawnie or Dawniebabes, which I quite like. I used to have a creepy boss who called me Dawnalicious, which just made me shudder and feel sick.
  • ElementalEscapee
    ElementalEscapee Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    My name is Chase, it's pretty hard to shorten it.

My personal pet peeve is when people purposely name their kids one thing so they can call them something else... like "We're naming him Alexander so we can call him Alex." Why even bother with the long name?

YES!! Why have my name be Dominique and then call me Nicci? Parent logic...
  • Rosa1213
    Rosa1213 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    My name is Rosa, and I would like people to call me that.
    Only my mom gets away with "Rosi", and maybe a bit off-topic, but I HATE it when couples call each other "Babe".

It's like "Babe this" and "Babe that"... "Babe" is the pig in the city, not your significant other!! It drives me up the wall!

My boyfriend calls me "love" sometimes, or "mi amor" when he's feeling particularly bilingual, and I don't mind those.
  • Brea_81
    Brea_81 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    My name's Breanne, but I go by Brea, pronounced Bree. I know the spelling makes no sense, but it's how my mom always spelled it and I was probably 20 before I realized it should should've been Bre or Bree. :ohwell: I get Bree-uh a lot. I correct clients once or twice, but after that I just let them go with Bree-uh, lol.

I can't stand when people call me BreannA, though. Not my name, and I will correct that one every time.

Kinda funny - my sister-in-law will only call me Breanne. I asked her about it once, and she said she couldn't call me Brea b/c it sounded like a 12 year old's name. Her name is Nikki. Sounds SO much more mature, right? hahaha!
  • Brea_81
    Brea_81 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    My name is Chase, it's pretty hard to shorten it.

My personal pet peeve is when people purposely name their kids one thing so they can call them something else... like "We're naming him Alexander so we can call him Alex." Why even bother with the long name?

YES!! Why have my name be Dominique and then call me Nicci? Parent logic...

We named our daughter Joelle, knowing we would call her Joey 95% of the time. Joey is the name we wanted for her, Joelle is the longer version we liked. I wanted her to have a girly name to use if she hated Joey as she got older. Also gives her the option to go by Elle or Ellie. She's 8 now and introduces herself as Joelle to most people, but prefers being called Joey (or one of her other nicknames - she has a ton).
  • Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    My name is Cameron and I HATE being called dipsh*t.

(really bugs me).
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    Don't call me MADAM :explode:

I don't know what it is. I really don't but I hate being called Madam :grumble:

Grrr! I'm with you on that. I used to have a co-worker who used to call me Madam and I finally told her not to call me that because I didn't like it. Actually, I hated it!

I had another co-worker who used to call me "Woman". I couldn't stand that either. I used to tell him my name is Betty (which he knew anyway) so just to torment me he'd call me "Betty Woman". :grumble:

When I was a kid, my older brother nicknamed me "Stovepipe" because I was so skinny. That nickname stuck with me until after he and my mom died. She used to call me that too even after I became an adult and fat. :laugh:

My older brother also used to call me Bets which I didn't mind.

I used to have another co-worker at one time who called me Betty Lou. It always seemed a little odd to hear because nobody ever called me by my first and second name except my mom. I don't really like my middle name but I let it slide when my former co-worker called me Betty Lou because she was such a sweet person. :smile:

Betty
  • JoanneStone
    JoanneStone Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    My friends and family call me Jo and I'm OK with that!
  • BrionyTallis
    BrionyTallis Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    My parents had 3 children of which I am the oldest. They named me Terri (first name), the short term of Teresa, and called me Terri. My two younger brothers were called by their middle names. My mother has no middle name and is very sensitive to the fact if anyone tries to call her by the name that got left off of her birth certificate.

In my early twenties I decided I had enough of people calling me Teresa as that was not my name and decided to go by middle name Lynn. Not long after my youngest brother decided he no longer wanted to go by his middle name but by a nickname for his first name. He has since changed to going by his full first name and I have gone back to using my first name.

Amongst family members it is extremely rude to call other family members by any name other than the name than they have been asked to be called.

As for strangers, co-workers, friends and the like ... as long as I can figure out that they're talking about me ... I answer. If the relationship is going to last longer I ask politely to be called by my first name. As long as the name isn't derogatory or rude, then I insist that it stop.

And even though I ask there are those that just can't help themselves and must shorten your name. And then the derogatory/rude rule is where I draw the line.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Clifton is the name....Cliff for short. Never liked Clifford..Mom yelling out back door " Clifford get in here". So I ignored her a while. Then go in and get popped upside the head for it...Also this was a cool sneaky way to find out everybody's name...way to go OP haha
  • Darkskinned88
    Darkskinned88 Posts: 1,177 Member
    Options
    My name is Tristan but i always get Justin, Christian, Tristian, or Christen but the one that took the cake was when my boss called me Tyrone on the first day. Idk who told my neighbor to call me T-dog or T-bone (yes, t-bone *face palms*), but the absolute worst is when ppl who dont know my name at all call me like big guy or big man.