Female body types

Options

Replies

• Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    IMO it is overly simplified (and not to the benefit of most women). What about pear? What about hourglass? What about short with no hope of ever looking long and willowy like the "normal" :laugh: Or while we're at it, what about tall with no hope of looking petite? There are way more body types than those shown, and I don't think that "normal" is the normal.

My goal is to be in the best shape I can be for me. I fall into the short, never-going-to-look willowy, and slightly pear-shaped category (I can work all I want but my butt and thighs will always be significantly larger than my chest), and while I can aim for athletic, it's going to be different from the model shown.

Let's stop perpetuating the idea that women (or men, for that matter) need to fit into one of a few, limited, ideas of "body type." It's not healthy for our society or for us individually.
  • butterflymarks
    butterflymarks Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    For those who say that this isn't hurting body image in women. You're just ..wrong..

I currently have an eating disorder and trying to recover. People keep telling me that putting on weight is healthy. But when those pictures openly and easy just goes from beautiful as curvy to FAT.. I mean.. come on...
    How doesn't that hurt your feelings and make you feel like ****?
  • TheAnie
    TheAnie Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Why don't we line men up based on their weight and judge them accordingly. I mean, really, have you ever seen this for men?

This whole scale promotes disordered eating and body image. I can't believe someone with so much training posted this.

Yep. I have seen this for men.

I honestly don't see this as promoting any sort of distorted body image. The "chubby" woman is in fact above the healthy range of body fat no matter how you choose to look at it. You can try to make yourself feel better all you want but at the end of the day you're only fooling yourself.
    I'm not actually going to debate chubby vs. not chubby with anyone, as really it IS in the eyes of the beholder. And everyone is entitled to their opinion. I will however disagree completely with you about the "chubby" woman being above the healthy BF% range. She is certainly thinner than I am and I am well within the healthy BF%. I'm actually just barely over what they consider the "fitness" BF%. You do not have to be in the athletic or fit BF% to have a healthy BF%. At all. So I'm unsure who is fooling who in your scenario.
  • butterflymarks
    butterflymarks Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I'm getting the feeling we all have body issues.

I think it's called being a woman in a high class culture... gah
  • eig6
    eig6 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    *THAT* is what you call "chubby"? Are you kidding me? That girl looks fine, except she's got a stomach. Sheesh, are we unrealistic or what?! :noway:

Agreed
  • LoveActually
    LoveActually Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Currently, I'm a "Curvy Athlete" according to that chart. And when you have boobies like mine, you'll never be out of the "curvy" category. Fine by me! And the hubs. :wink:
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    I like athletic and that is my main goal.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I'm aimin' for the "Athletic"
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I like Normal and Athletic....either would be great!!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    currently fat and curvy but i'll be curvy athletic once i'm at my goal weight.
  • eig6
    eig6 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Why don't we line men up based on their weight and judge them accordingly. I mean, really, have you ever seen this for men?

This whole scale promotes disordered eating and body image. I can't believe someone with so much training posted this.

Yep. I have seen this for men.

I honestly don't see this as promoting any sort of distorted body image. The "chubby" woman is in fact above the healthy range of body fat no matter how you choose to look at it. You can try to make yourself feel better all you want but at the end of the day you're only fooling yourself.
    I'm not actually going to debate chubby vs. not chubby with anyone, as really it IS in the eyes of the beholder. And everyone is entitled to their opinion. I will however disagree completely with you about the "chubby" woman being above the healthy BF% range. She is certainly thinner than I am and I am well within the healthy BF%. I'm actually just barely over what they consider the "fitness" BF%. You do not have to be in the athletic or fit BF% to have a healthy BF%. At all. So I'm unsure who is fooling who in your scenario.

Me too, I think I look like the "Chubby" girl and my BF% is smack dab in the middle of the healthy range.
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    As a woman who is working toward a healthy weight at the same time as I am working toward a healthy body image, I found the original post and many of the responses to it disturbing and sad.

As long as women are objectified and subjected to labels that define them solely based on their body type / weight, we foster a culture where appearance is what matters most. Youth and beauty fade for everyone and health is sometimes an elusive state.

Having seen these photos, I know nothing about these women other than how much meat they have on their bones. Are they intelligent? What sort of character do they have? What are their problems? What are their accomplishments and talents? What is their personality like? Let me know the whole person before I form an opinion of them, and even then, let it NOT be merely labels, but rather a sense of who they are, not what they look like today.
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    FAT! Curvy is bland on that pic!
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I'm currently between curvy and chubby, not a flat tummy yet! I think I want to be between curvy and athletic.i want low enough bf to see muscles, but high enough that I don't lose my lady bits!
  • thatsnumberwang
    thatsnumberwang Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Guys, I kinda think he might've been joking. Chit-chat, fun, and games, anyone? :tongue:
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Curvy-Muscular.

I WANT to be thick. But I want low body fat. I want the boobs, the hips, the butt, and the defined arms! =)

I agree. None of those pics depict what you have described! LOL
  • kittenwhiz
    kittenwhiz Posts: 16
    Options
    Fit curvy!
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    As a woman who is working toward a healthy weight at the same time as I am working toward a healthy body image, I found the original post and many of the responses to it disturbing and sad.

As long as women are objectified and subjected to labels that define them solely based on their body type / weight, we foster a culture where appearance is what matters most. Youth and beauty fade for everyone and health is sometimes an elusive state.

Having seen these photos, I know nothing about these women other than how much meat they have on their bones. Are they intelligent? What sort of character do they have? What are their problems? What are their accomplishments and talents? What is their personality like? Let me know the whole person before I form an opinion of them, and even then, let it NOT be merely labels, but rather a sense of who they are, not what they look like today.

This site is pretty much for improving fitness and aesthetics, so it itsn't out of shallowness that it is body-centric. And labeling something doesn't have any negative connotation. If anything, this post is all about the many forms of the female body and that you have the power to pick yours. My body isn't where I want it, but I still love it. I feel strong and powerful, I love me!
  • jkleon86
    jkleon86 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    from 7 to 3 to make me a 10 LOL but you would NEVER catch me in a tiny bikni:blushing:
  • weighlossforbaby
    weighlossforbaby Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    I would want to be Curvy!