Do you donate blood?

Options

Replies

• valerie521
    valerie521 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I started a few years back (wish I had started when I was younger). But, I have been dedicated to it since I
    started.

I am O- and they tell me that my blood goes to premie babies and cancer patients first !!! I have so much
    to give at a time that someone needs it desperately its a no brainer for me. Although, until you try it, you
    have fear. I say "give it a shot" - excuse the pun. Its the one thing that I can do to pay it forward

Just received my One gallon award... and I love wearing the t-shirts I get from them when I go walking around
    the neighbood. Makes me feel extra proud and hopefully makes some newbies consider giving it a try !
  • jasharp021
    jasharp021 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I try to! The past 2 or 3 times I've gone my iron count has been too low. So I get the "thanks but no thanks"

I'm B- so I am very thankful for all that can and do donate!!
  • fels123
    fels123 Posts: 44
    Options
    I reckon if you'd take it you should be prepared to give it. That goes for blood, organs, bone marrow...
    That said, I haven't donated that many times. Got banned for a bit for fainting!
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    No did one time when I was 17 and have been blackballed by the Red Cross. They thanked me as I was leaving but asked that if I felt inclined to give blood again I was to go to a hospital not to them. Evidently I have small veins and it took me 3 hours to pump that one pint with the equipment they use.
  • imnotyourpal
    imnotyourpal Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I sell mine for research. :)
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    I used to donate every few months for years until my mom got sick and needed a transfusion. We all donated for her and I stopped donating for the 3 years she was sick just in case she needed it again. She passed in '04 but I just haven't donated since then..must be a mental thing. I really should start donating again. I'm O+ but donating is donating and should be done!
  • shiseido_faerie
    shiseido_faerie Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    what i dislike the most is being turned away if my temp is a little high, or my weight or iron a little low.
    i love the little kids with leukemia that get my blood.
    oh and the free snacks are a plus :D

I was a little kid with leukemia who received blood....so Thanks all!

(I do not donate blood due to the previous leukemia and blood transfusion received - I tried, they don't want it.)
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    I've always wanted to since my mom used to give blood before her health deteriorated but by the time I was old enough to donate I had so many health problems and was on just about 2 dozen medications so I wasn't able to and I pretty much never will be. It's sad because I love helping out when I can, but this is just one thing I can't help with.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    What I like most:
    Feels good to help others.
    The treats they give you after.
    Free mini physical.

What I like least:
    Having to fill out the same damn form every time. "No", I've never slept with a prostitue, used a needle to take drugs, etc...
    It's time consuming.
  • pianokeyteeth
    Options
    I've tried twice... first time my BP was too low and second time my iron was too low D: Lamesauce.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I try to! The past 2 or 3 times I've gone my iron count has been too low. So I get the "thanks but no thanks"

Some people struggle with iron. Women, particularly so. You might want to look into raising that number, because it might help with your health overall as well (iron is a vital component in red blood cells, and a chronic lack of it can affect your blood's ability to transport oxygen).

Eggs (with the yolks intact) are a great source of iron, as are beans, nuts, and red meat. You'll have a much more effective absorption of iron if you have a little vitamin C at the same time.

So for a couple of days before donation, have a small helping of steak-and-eggs for breakfast with a small glass of orange juice. :)
  • RoseRoiz
    RoseRoiz Posts: 95
    Options
    I would love to however , when I went to donate they told me I do not weight enough!!
  • Boonster001
    Boonster001 Posts: 62
    Options
    I used to donate, but now they have the rule that if you lived in Europe for more than 6 months during certain times - you are not eligible. Some day maybe they will allow it again, it is so important.

For all of you that donate - thank you! You are all amazing!
  • BGabbart
    BGabbart Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I give everytime my time comes around. I am 0- so they love it when I give. I love the feeling of knowing I am helping someone. I also hate the finger stick but it has gotten better.
  • proudtexan71
    proudtexan71 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Yep, 4 times a year.
  • avafrisbee
    avafrisbee Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I'm not allowed to donate anymore. The last time I went I felt fine, until I stood up. I lost all sense of balance and coordination and fell back into the chair. The nurse called all medical staff over. I had 3 nurses and 2 doctors around me. I still to this day (that was about 8 years ago) do not know what happened. They just kept telling me not to close my eyes to keep my eyes open. One doctor kept saying things like let me see your eyes, oh, blue very nice, oh let me see it looks like you have bits of brown and green too, let me take another look. I don't remember anything except for everyone telling me to keep my eyes open between the time I fell back into the chair and some time later when I remember sitting at a table with loads of ritz crackers and cheese and grape juice and a nurse telling me to eat and drink more.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Nope. Gays can't donate blood here...

... coupled with a SEVERE fear of needles. I get huge panic attacks and just could never will myself to deliberately have myself stabbed with a needle unless absolutely necessary.

If these two things didn't apply, I would most certainly donate.
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I donate as regularly as I can. I had a low iron issue, and now I have to wait until July because of the grace period after getting a piercing. Since I don't have a problem with needles or anything, and I'm O-, I might as well!

Also, I'm pretty vain, so I'd rather donate my blood than my hair. IMO, blood saves lives, wigs don't..
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    Not yet, but I always say I am going to!
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options

Some people struggle with iron. Women, particularly so. You might want to look into raising that number, because it might help with your health overall as well (iron is a vital component in red blood cells, and a chronic lack of it can affect your blood's ability to transport oxygen).

Eggs (with the yolks intact) are a great source of iron, as are beans, nuts, and red meat. You'll have a much more effective absorption of iron if you have a little vitamin C at the same time.

So for a couple of days before donation, have a small helping of steak-and-eggs for breakfast with a small glass of orange juice. :)

I kept getting deferred. Now I take a multi-vitamin as well as an iron supplement and haven't been deferred since. I've questioned and researched getting too much iron but have not come anywhere close to being in danger of it. This is something I went out of my way to do to donate, with the added side effect of feeling a bit more alert. :smile: