whats the worst "food myth" you have heard?

Options

Replies

• Alyx128
    Alyx128 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I don't think this is necessarily a common myth, but a girl at work said she couldn't eat olives because they had 50 calories a piece.
  • ashleyacee
    ashleyacee Posts: 118
    Options
    ' It is easier for men to lose weight than women."
    This blew my mind because I believed it until I saw on Dr. Oz
  • pantsdailyon
    pantsdailyon Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    "fruits are bad because they are full of sugar"
    Are you sure that wasn't just a homophobic rant?
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    ' It is easier for men to lose weight than women."
    This blew my mind because I believed it until I saw on Dr. Oz

That's not a myth, its a fact because men naturally has more calorie burning muscles than women because of the male hormone testosterone which is also responsible for those fat releasing enzyme. In contrast, we women have more fat & our hormone estrogen favors more the fat storing enzyme.
  • dejatyja
    dejatyja Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Being told growing up that I needed to sit up straight and use my knife and fork properly so when the queen cam to dinner, I wouldn't embarrass the family... b!tch never came :sad:

I'd been told this one too.....let's just say, I'm still waiting for her!!!
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    My personal trainer asked me if I was eating "good calories" or "bad calories" ...

Whew that made me laugh so hard... hahaha

Technically a good calorie would be food. A bad calorie would be something that isn't food- like paint or hardwood flooring.
  • BeccaAnderton
    Options

Oh my days this! I've been hearing it so much recently and it winds me up so much!
  • Nebrie
    Nebrie Posts: 56 Member
    Options

My trainer says this all the time. He also told me I'm fat because I eat carbs and will continue to be fat until I stop eating them. Apparently doing cardio 3-4 times a week, strength training 3 times a week and staying at or under my caloric needs doesn't mean anything and nothing will change until I cut out carbs. Carbs. The source of all evil. The reason I'm fat....apparently.

I don't talk to him about nutrition anymore.
  • emanismom
    emanismom Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    The carbs you eat after going to the gym don't count....Huh?!
  • Jugie12
    Jugie12 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    "It's SO freaking easy to lose weight - just stop eating! if I wanted to, I could lose all the weight you need to lose in a month or two, tops! THREE months and I'd be in BADASS shape!" ---yes, that's actually verbatim, lmao

"Diet soda tastes just like the regular kind!"

"you're going to get cancer from eating steak and it will stay in your intestines for almost 20 years."

"Drinking Muscle Milk for your breakfast every day will make you fat AND bulky like a guy."

lmao... I giggled just typing these out!
  • spinqueen72
    spinqueen72 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    if you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding. how can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?

Yep Yep!!
    Gotta quote the Floyd!!
  • spinqueen72
    Options
    "It's SO freaking easy to lose weight - just stop eating! if I wanted to, I could lose all the weight you need to lose in a month or two, tops! THREE months and I'd be in BADASS shape!" ---yes, that's actually verbatim, lmao

"you're going to get cancer from eating steak and it will stay in your intestines for almost 20 years."

"Drinking Muscle Milk for your breakfast every day will make you fat AND bulky like a guy."

LOL!!!!
    I guess those people talking about the Muscle Milk, actually think the "milk" makes your muscles bigger!!! They must not know that it actually doesn't even contain milk! Muscle Milk is lactose free!! LOL
    Diet soda is just NASTY!!! What exactly IS the point of Diet soda anyways? So those people can eat a Big Mac, a Large Fry, and have a Diet Soda to make them feel better? LOL
  • Starsighter78
    Starsighter78 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    My trainer says this all the time. He also told me I'm fat because I eat carbs and will continue to be fat until I stop eating them. Apparently doing cardio 3-4 times a week, strength training 3 times a week and staying at or under my caloric needs doesn't mean anything and nothing will change until I cut out carbs. Carbs. The source of all evil. The reason I'm fat....apparently.

I don't talk to him about nutrition anymore.

Cheese and rice, I wouldn't talk to him about nutrition OR give him any more money as my personal trainer. Find another one who isn't such an *kitten*, geez! :)
  • spinqueen72
    Options
    eating egg yolks will give you high cholesterol

I know,this statement drives me crazy. Unless u eat 10 eggs a day, please people, eat the whole egg, not just the whites. Works for me , sofar

When I'm in the mood for eggs....I have 3 egg whites, and 2 whole eggs scrambled together with some cilantro, hot sauce, parsley, Mrs Dash, curry, oregano....yummy!
  • ttaylor68913
    ttaylor68913 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    My personal trainer asked me if I was eating "good calories" or "bad calories" ...

umm they were good.. quite tasty thanks!:laugh:
  • ttaylor68913
    Options
    diet sodas are equivalent to water since it has zero calories

facepalm:noway:
  • Jugie12
    Jugie12 Posts: 282 Member
    Options

LOL!!!!
    I guess those people talking about the Muscle Milk, actually think the "milk" makes your muscles bigger!!! They must not know that it actually doesn't even contain milk! Muscle Milk is lactose free!! LOL
    Diet soda is just NASTY!!! What exactly IS the point of Diet soda anyways? So those people can eat a Big Mac, a Large Fry, and have a Diet Soda to make them feel better? LOL

HAHA!! THANK YOU! Just so you know, I am friending you because you're awesome. Yeah some dudes were telling me that about my MuscleMilk RTD - they said all the protein and calories and all that would bulk up my muscles and I'd gain weight from the carbs! Never mind that we worked a job that required 12+ hours of running around a resort with no breaks (yeah i know, illegal!) and then I'g go to the gym after all that. Ugh and don't start me on diet soda - nastiness!! And no, the 'diet' doesn't count when you sit there and drink 3 liters!!
  • rachmass1
    rachmass1 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    if you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding. how can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?

ROTFL

Good one!
  • Audddua
    Audddua Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    You can thank my mother for these gems:
    If it's fat free or low fat you can eat all you want
    Since a potato is a vegetable it's perfectly okay to have it be the only vegetable in your diet
    Avocados & nuts are fattening and should be avoided at all costs
    Veggie omelets aren't good because of the cholesterol (mind you she had ordered a double-decker club sandwich with onion rings and a coke when she said that to me :grumble: )
  • ttaylor68913
    Options
    "there are starving children in ___________________________so eat your food.".......... WHAT THE HELL DOES ME CLEANING MY PLATE HAVE TO DO WITH THE STARVING CHILDREN OF THE WORLD nothing... they are still hungery and now I'm struggling to lose all those years of "clean your plate".... I actually told my mom once " well then pack up what I don't want and send it to them"