Survey time: Should a guy pay on a first date?

Options
chatnel
chatnel Posts: 688 Member
Just wanting to know everyone's view on who should pay on a frist date. I know equal right and all that but if I guy does not pay for me on the first date I just assume he is a tight a*rse and he not getting a second date.

Sunday night, first date, dinner came to $75 I gave him $50 and he took it and did not offer any change, hmm nice!

Replies

• aprildawn81
    aprildawn81 Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Of course the guy should pay! That's what a gentleman does.
  • Sunscreenandsweat
    Sunscreenandsweat Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    If he wants to then yes or if he invited you but if you ask him then you should offer to pay.
  • ryall70
    ryall70 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Wow! Did he ask you out?
  • gromithere
    gromithere Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    My opinion if a guy doesn't at least offer to pay, he's a cheap a** and not worth your time. Guess I'm old fashioned about that sort of thing.
  • SkinnyTopher
    Options
    If he wants to then yes or if he invited you but if you ask him then you should offer to pay.

As a male feminist, I completely agree with this.

As a gay man, one of the guys always pays, lol.
  • DAMNCHARLIE
    DAMNCHARLIE Posts: 569
    Options
    If he asked me out I would expect him to pay, I may leave the tip or pay for drinks or something else we may do. That dude should have paid for the meal. If a man is having money problems and I suggest the date, I would tell him "I got you, no problem".
  • alyblue
    alyblue Posts: 20
    Options
    i agree as long as he's the guy that asked for the date. if you asked for it, then i'd be willing to go dutch. but it's always a bonus if they pay on those dates too (and they usually do). :)
  • chatnel
    chatnel Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Yes, he asked me out
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I think the guy pays on the first date. After that, there should be a little back and forth, if you're going out a lot and that kind of thing. I was with someone for a while that never ever paid, ever. And, it really got to me after a while. I never said anything, which is totally my fault. But, I guess I didn't know how to bring it up. Just was weird.
  • _trickpie
    _trickpie Posts: 87
    Options
    I guess it depends who asks who? If I ask him, I expect that we'll split the bill evenly. Slightly outdated but I'd feel weird paying for the whole bill (while still in the early days of dating). Either way, I go in ready for a split bill but if he offers to pay, then that's a nice bonus. I'd be miffed about not getting your change from $50, but sometimes there are other factors to be considered, like paid parking?
  • DrewMaxwell
    DrewMaxwell Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    A guy should ALWAYS pay on the first couple/few dates. It's nice and appreciated when a woman offers to help out, but the guy should simply pick up the tab himself. If it was just a casual lunch and she offers to get the tip, I think the guy should agree.
  • lickmybaconcakes
    lickmybaconcakes Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    I'd say split it...
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Yes, every time. I'm all for women's rights, but men get off so easy now. Them paying for dinner (or drinks, or even just coffee) is a must!
  • LovingLisa2012
    LovingLisa2012 Posts: 802 Member
    Options

yep
  • tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    definitely the guy!! at least for the first date!! my boyfriend paid for the first few dates then we started taking turns :)
  • joelovescarmen
    joelovescarmen Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    The guy should pay!
  • anthemforagirl
    Options

Agreed.
  • Montanarush
    Montanarush Posts: 76
    Options
    The guy should always pay ! Chivalry isnt dead yet!
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Yes, he asked me out

Why did you even offer to pay? I wouldnt be surprised if he thought you didnt have a good time and there wouldnt be a second date anyway.
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    If he asked you out...he pays - if you asked him out...you should be prepared to pay. A true gentlemen will pay regardless.