Survey time: Should a guy pay on a first date?

Options

Replies

• Rizabees
    Rizabees Posts: 80
    Options
    I like this selective sexism thing women have going on.

You agreed to go on the date, you knew money would be spent. Maybe next time, to avoid confusion why not just ask him who's paying before you go out? It may seem rude, it may seem like it should be unnecessary, but apparently it's something that needs to be worked out before someone leaves the date in a huff.

If you're wanting a relationship, and wanting it to be equal, then why not start out that way?
  • brian90
    brian90 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    the guy should pay. no question.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options

How is it sexist if he asked her out on the date? Its not like you just go on a date to get a free lunch. He's expecting her to make time out of her day to spend it with him whom she doesn't even know that well. The least he can do is pick up the check. I'm sure if she was just hungry she can always go to the supermarket.

I guess some girls just don't get asked out often. It's kind of sad you think a date is just a meal.

And the guy knows her all that well? He is not taking time out of his day? Yes, a date is not just about a meal. It's hopefully about two people enjoying each other's company.

Of course he doesn't know her well, but if he just wanted to be her new buddy he should ask her out to the park or to go shopping maybe.

And you would want him to buy her all the stuff that she wants too. Once again, you're looking for a transaction and not a date (or are those 2 mutual nowadays?)

I never said anything about him paying for that. I go shopping with my girlfriends all the time and we pay for our own stuff. What I'm saying is if a man wants to act like one of my girlfriends then he can't possibly expect a date.

ok so if you go out with him to shopping, you don't expect him to pay even if he asked you out but if he asked you to a dinner, you expect him to pay?

Just say it. You want a free meal. Nobody will judge you (ok maybe some will but who cares...you got a free meal!!)

If he asked me out on a date which happened to be dinner then yes he should pay. I don't expect every man I cross to pay for me. If its just as friends and we're hanging out then I'd pay for myself.

Do you expect him to pay for all subsequent dates as well?

No, it usually balances out to an even give or take kind of thing. When I ask, I pay for the whole thing and when he asks he'll pay. I like to cook too so I make dinner often as well.
  • sunnyday789
    sunnyday789 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Yes, every time. I'm all for women's rights, but men get off so easy now. Them paying for dinner (or drinks, or even just coffee) is a must!

....for women's rights but men must pay all the time, explain that to me please?
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    Um YES OF COURSE. Just because men and women should have equal rights doesn't mean chivalry has to jump out the window. A man should still want to impress his potential lady, treat her well and show her that he can provide.

Any guy who doesn't is a douche.
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    It's sexist to expect the man to pay just because he's a man. If it's the first date or the 30th, it doesn't matter. He's no more obligated to pay the whole bill than you are.

This is just ingrained sexism, and I'm actually kind of surprised that women still expect this behavior. Considering it was born from a time where women weren't allowed to carry their own money, I see no reason to perpetuate it. And the claims that "gentlemen pay for the meal" is just shaming men into acting in a way that perpetuates and encourages sexism (against BOTH genders).

How about stop being so entitled, and just split the bill. We're equal.

This whole thread is just a terrible disappointment.

I like you :)

Let me guess, you believe men shouldn't give up their seat to a woman on a bus, right?

I don't expect a man to take out a line of credit or shower me with expensive gifts just to date me; but if he invited me out, he pursued me, and has a desire to take me out on a date- he should pay. If I was pursuing him, asked him out on a date, I would be prepared and happy to pay for our meals and anything else I had planned for the day.
    If a man chooses a restaurant, picks a time, picks me up from my house, of course I expect him to pay. What if I can't afford the restaurant?He made the plans. He is taking ME out, giving me a gift, treating me. It goes both ways and should go for lesbian and gay couples as well. If you plan a date, why would you expect or ask them to chip in half? If my husband takes me out on a date that he planned, he still pays. If we are just going out to eat, sometimes I get the tab, sometimes we split it, etc. I also plan dates for us too, and always pay.
    It is not sexism, it is common courtesy. You invited someone out, you offer to pay.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Yes, every time. I'm all for women's rights, but men get off so easy now. Them paying for dinner (or drinks, or even just coffee) is a must!

....for women's rights but men must pay all the time, explain that to me please?

She wants to be treated equal to a man. Except when the issue of money coming out of her pocket comes or asking her male friends (friendzoned men) to help her move or something comes up. Thats when its the gentlemen thing to do for men to offer to help her out for nothing...
  • j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options

If he asked me out on a date which happened to be dinner then yes he should pay. I don't expect every man I cross to pay for me. If its just as friends and we're hanging out then I'd pay for myself.

No, it usually balances out to an even give or take kind of thing. When I ask, I pay for the whole thing and when he asks he'll pay. I like to cook too so I make dinner often as well.

This is all good in my book.. I get where you're coming from w/ the first date thing, probably just a better way of phrasing it :)

I'm extremely wary and will not date the woman that expects me to pay for everything all the time. Her bank account is not going to get bigger at my expense. It's a deal breaker.
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options

Let me guess, you are both men that would also not give up your seat to a woman on a bus, right?

FYI. Hraggle is female.
  • ProjectTae
    ProjectTae Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    The general rule is the person who asks someone out on a date male or female pays, but men are typically the ones to ask girls out on dates and that is why they usually get left with the bill.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options

This is all good in my book.. I get where you're coming from w/ the first date thing, probably just a better way of phrasing it :)

I'm extremely wary and will not date the woman that expects me to pay for everything all the time. Her bank account is not going to get bigger at my expense. It's a deal breaker.

Oh thats totally understandable. I'm not advocating that women be totally selfish at all lol.
  • j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    It's sexist to expect the man to pay just because he's a man. If it's the first date or the 30th, it doesn't matter. He's no more obligated to pay the whole bill than you are.

This is just ingrained sexism, and I'm actually kind of surprised that women still expect this behavior. Considering it was born from a time where women weren't allowed to carry their own money, I see no reason to perpetuate it. And the claims that "gentlemen pay for the meal" is just shaming men into acting in a way that perpetuates and encourages sexism (against BOTH genders).

Let me guess, you believe men shouldn't give up their seat to a woman on a bus, right?

I don't expect a man to take out a line of credit or shower me with expensive gifts just to date me; but if he invited me out, he pursued me, and has a desire to take me out on a date- he should pay. If I was pursuing him, asked him out on a date, I would be prepared and happy to pay for our meals and anything else I had planned for the day.
    If a man chooses a restaurant, picks a time, picks me up from my house, of course I expect him to pay. What if I can't afford the restaurant?He made the plans. He is taking ME out, giving me a gift, treating me. It goes both ways and should go for lesbian and gay couples as well. If you plan a date, why would you expect or ask them to chip in half? If my husband takes me out on a date that he planned, he still pays. If we are just going out to eat, sometimes I get the tab, sometimes we split it, etc. I also plan dates for us too, and always pay.
    It is not sexism, it is common courtesy. You invited someone out, you offer to pay.

Oh now it's directed towards me huh?

So a little background, I always pay for first dates, never once have I split one even if it didn't go well. I don't expect to pay for every date long-term though and believe in 50/50. No reason for a woman to pad her bank account at my expense just because of outdated gender roles.

And common courtesy such as giving up a seat on a bus is nowhere in the same realm as paying for a date. So yes, I'd give up my seat. I even hold open doors. ha
  • sunnyday789
    sunnyday789 Posts: 309 Member
    Options

She wants to be treated equal to a man. Except when the issue of money coming out of her pocket comes or asking her male friends (friendzoned men) to help her move or something comes up. Thats when its the gentlemen thing to do for men to offer to help her out for nothing...

lol, that's what i thought she said, just not computing in my brain
  • Bikerjewelz
    Bikerjewelz Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    When I went on the first date with my bf, it happened to be close to my payday and he had no cash. I knew this because he was a friend before we started dating. I said, let's go out, I could tell he was uncomfortable so I said, hey.. Don't worry about it, I got it. After a really nice night, he thanked me and said he had never had a woman take him out. He is grateful to this day.

When we were first together, we pretty well split everything almost evenly at my advance. He took me out afew times, and i would take him out sometimes. I was just out of a horrible 12 year marriage where money control was only part of the abuse. He had nothing to but leeches for ex gfs who never carried their weight financially. It was a w lcome change for both of us. We now live together, and my finances aren't the strongest, but I still insist on splitting all joint bills and rent in half, but everything else is just, whoever has it at the time. I will still pay my own stuff sometimes cause I'm stubborn, but he knows that and let's me.
    It works really well for us. Last month he came into some money and covered everything.

So I guess everyone is different. For us, we have reasons for wanting some amount of financial independence that has nothing to do with our relationship... So it would be hard for me to decide whether he was in orth a second date, just based on that. Maybe he's been scoured, but he's a great guy? Or maybe he thought you'd be insulted if he didn't take it? Or maybe he's just a cheap as :)
    I think as a woman, always be prepared to offer, and in the case of the 50, I would have said... Oh, all I have is a 50,do you have $15(or whatever amount) dollars change?
    If he refuses the money, bonus.. But there are less old fashioned men out there so I would always be prepared :)

Long winded.. Sorry
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I paid every time the entire time (7 years) I knew my ex-husband.

It would be nice if the next guy I date at least picks up the tab occasionally.
  • nakedsun
    nakedsun Posts: 115
    Options
    I prefer splitting things 50/50. I tend to go for quieter guys and make the first move asking out, so I'm always prepared to pay for everything as well. If a guy offers to pay I will inquire about going dutch, if he offers again I will usually strike up a deal to pay for whatever else we have planned for that night. Ie. If we went to dinner and a movie I would want to pay for the movie ticket and snacks. I'd be tickled pink he offered however but I'd feel guilty.

I'm also notorious for ordering one of the cheapest things on the menu (without being obvious about it), going with water and no desert just incase he insists on paying. I don't want to suck up all his cash.

That being said: All my first dates haven't been dinner. I tend to end up leaning towards dates that are more casual and thus the whole money issue is elminiated. My current parter actually asked what I was up to one night (super last minute), I told him I was attempting to build a kitchen table so he came over and helped me build it and afterwards we watched old school Xmen. So no money issue at all. And after that we just started each coming up with a date idea and then paying for it in turns. Problem solved.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I am so confused.

Most women want equal rights... but then I hear many women saying a man is not a "gentleman" if he doesn't pay on dates and is not worth seeing again? Am I getting this right?
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options

Oh now it's directed towards me huh?

So a little background, I always pay for first dates, never once have I split one even if it didn't go well. I don't expect to pay for every date long-term though and believe in 50/50. No reason for a woman to pad her bank account at my expense just because of outdated gender roles.

And common courtesy such as giving up a seat on a bus is nowhere in the same realm as paying for a date. So yes, I'd give up my seat. I even hold open doors. ha

It was directed towards both of you, and clearly you didn't read what I wrote. If you did, you'd realize we are more on the same page. We apparently both believe in common courtesy. I agree, relationships should be as 50/50 as they possibly can; but this was about the first date.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I am so confused.

Most women want equal rights... but then I hear many women saying a man is not a "gentleman" if he doesn't pay on dates and is not worth seeing again? Am I getting this right?

I was told "You're a backminded foreigner who doesn't think women are capable for doing anything on their own. Maybe in your country women will take that but not in America!". This was said to me after I offered to help this tiny petite girl I knew with lifting up this heavy TV. I woulda done the same for any male too.

Conclusion: I give up on understanding women
  • Alma_Sana
    Alma_Sana Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Im old fashioned about that stuff, so yes