after poor service do you still tip good ???

Options

Replies

• k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I agree that having a bad day is a cop-out... I too have worked in food service and customer service for many years... Just grin and bear it... while many might be empathetic or at least sympathetic, at the end of the day people aren't there to see you have a melt down... they are there for the services and products your establishment provides...
  • mayerel
    mayerel Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I had the worst service at a restaurant and they gave us the bill with a lot of attitude (you'd freak out too). I politely said "you don't have to be so rude, we are going to pay" Next thing she raises her voice and well.. it went all downhill from there and had my adrenaline pumping and the whole restaurant was looking towards my table.

Left $0 tip but the gratuity was still added on my card :explode:

Place had good food too but if your service really sucks that badly you don't deserve my money

Is this legal for them to add it in if you put $0?

Definitely not legal to arbitrarily add a tip against the will of the payer. But if they included it in the bill but also provide an additional tip line, then it would be legal since it was listed ahead of time.

Correct. Additionally, when places automatically add gratuity, for a large party or whatever, you can ask them to reduce it if it was not warranted.
  • lour441
    lour441 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    yep.. i tip..and I still tip 20% .... i married a bartender...these are just the rules folks, everyone has a bad day!

Everyone has bad days. Most of us don't get paid for them. If you have a bad day it sounds like a you problem and not a me problem. I will still give 10%. Normally 20% though.

Oh and if it is really bad service I leave 25% and unscrew the salt and pepper shaker tops.
  • FloraLyons
    FloraLyons Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I would just lower the tip. That would speak volumes on the service she provided.
  • gtwin
    gtwin Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I always leave the minimum. Waiters / waitresses make their money off of tips, and for all I know they could just be having a bad day.

Bad day or not...don't bring your personal stuff into the workplace. Bad days aren't an excuse for poor service or work performance...I know none of my bosses would ever take that as an excuse for slacking off or dropping the ball on something.
  • aba160
    aba160 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I struggled with this on mothers day. I took my mom out for a nice meal and for the 2 of us it ended up being $70. The service was absolutely awful! I've been a server before so I know there's off days, but seriously not one single plate was cleared the entire meal, no refills, very nonchalant attitude and was more into flirting with the waitresses than making sure we were taken care of.

I always tip 20% or more, but was tempted to tip 10%. But, having worked in the industry before, I felt bad tipping 10% so I did 15%. I debated for a while though.

So, I guess I tipped low, but low for me not what the industry considers low.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    I leave a tip no matter what. I always keep in mind that it is hard times, and the person is working for a reason. It is hard sometimes especially when the service is not great, but hey...they can't be perfect all the time.

Mr. Pink: I'm very sorry the government taxes their tips, that's f*cked up. That ain't my fault. It would seem to me that waitresses are one of the many groups the government f*cks in the *ss on a regular basis. Look, if you ask me to sign something that says the government shouldn't do that, I'll sign it, put it to a vote, I'll vote for it, but what I won't do is play ball. And as for this non-college bullsh*t I got two words for that: learn to f*ckin' type, 'cause if you're expecting me to help out with the rent you're in for a big f*ckin' surprise.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I never tip less than 20%, ever. Maybe because I was, at one point, a waitress?

I was a waiter back in the day. What does that have to do with anything??

I've noticed former waitstaff tend to be more forgiving.

Personally, I tip based on the work/service. If I'm at a high end place and order a cheap meal or no drinks, I tip a higher percentage. If I'm at a diner or cafe, and the service is great, I tip a much higher percentage. I give a crappy tip for crappy service.

That said, if I notice another patron behaving inappropriately, I'll give the manager another perspective. I was at one place where a patron was ripping on the waitress for putting whipped cream on the chocolate chip pancakes (yep, they're supposed to come that way, always do at this place). The waitress IMMEDIATELY apologized and offered a fresh order, and the customer went on and on and then complained LOUDLY to the manager about how incompetent and rude the waitress was. You bet I flagged down the manager and told him what I saw.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    And who decides what service jobs get tips, anyway? My wife and I owned a cleaning business for several years, too, and only one house we cleaned ever gave us a tip.

You don't tip owners -- the guidelines in women's magazines, Smart Money, etc are consistent on that. That said, my self-employed cleaning person gets a holiday gift equal to a week's cleaning fee, which is the norm for my area. I'm told that in Manhattan it's a month's worth.
  • kit_katty
    kit_katty Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    It depends on why there was poor service, if they're overworked and trying hard I don't hold it against them, however, I've had servers chatting with other workers or other patrons and ignoring me, in those cases I leave very little tip, depending on how mad I am, I've left a few pennies to get the point across. If the service is adequate I tip 15%, but I do tip more with a particularly good server.
  • kit_katty
    kit_katty Posts: 994 Member
    Options

That said, if I notice another patron behaving inappropriately, I'll give the manager another perspective. I was at one place where a patron was ripping on the waitress for putting whipped cream on the chocolate chip pancakes (yep, they're supposed to come that way, always do at this place). The waitress IMMEDIATELY apologized and offered a fresh order, and the customer went on and on and then complained LOUDLY to the manager about how incompetent and rude the waitress was. You bet I flagged down the manager and told him what I saw.

Good for you! Great of you to step in!
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Ive served and bar-tended in high end and low end places.

First, I always leave 'something'. However, by something is typically no lower than 10%.

Second, When I receive good service I tip 20-25% (depending on bill price). If the bill is $15, I typically type at least $4. If the bill is $200, they get the even 20% if the service was great.

Third, who ever started this "you dont tip on alcohol" crap needs to me SMACKED! Companies track to make sure their employees are inputting their tips properly (so they themselves dont get KNOCKED). This number is BASED off of their SALES(foods, drinks, everything)! People can and have lost their jobs for not 'reporting' enough. Also, these servers and bartenders have to tip people out based of sales (how much in food sales to tip the buser, how much in bar sales to tip our the bartender, etc) - SO WHY IN HEAVENS NAME WOULD YOU NOT TIP ON YOUR ALCOHOL?!?!!?!?
  • directorj
    directorj Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I had the worst service at a restaurant and they gave us the bill with a lot of attitude (you'd freak out too). I politely said "you don't have to be so rude, we are going to pay" Next thing she raises her voice and well.. it went all downhill from there and had my adrenaline pumping and the whole restaurant was looking towards my table.

Left $0 tip but the gratuity was still added on my card :explode:

Place had good food too but if your service really sucks that badly you don't deserve my money

Is this legal for them to add it in if you put $0?

Definitely not legal to arbitrarily add a tip against the will of the payer. But if they included it in the bill but also provide an additional tip line, then it would be legal since it was listed ahead of time.

Correct. Additionally, when places automatically add gratuity, for a large party or whatever, you can ask them to reduce it if it was not warranted.

Wow that's great to know! Yes the tip was one of those "For parties over XX you need to pay XX amount"
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but if you can afford to go out to dinner, you can afford to leave a decent tip.

Don't like it? Eat at home.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but if you can afford to go out to dinner, you can afford to leave a decent tip.

Bin-go.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    Ive served and bar-tended in high end and low end places.

First, I always leave 'something'. However, by something is typically no lower than 10%.

Second, When I receive good service I tip 20-25% (depending on bill price). If the bill is $15, I typically type at least $4. If the bill is $200, they get the even 20% if the service was great.

Third, who ever started this "you dont tip on alcohol" crap needs to me SMACKED! Companies track to make sure their employees are inputting their tips properly (so they themselves dont get KNOCKED). This number is BASED off of their SALES(foods, drinks, everything)! People can and have lost their jobs for not 'reporting' enough. Also, these servers and bartenders have to tip people out based of sales (how much in food sales to tip the buser, how much in bar sales to tip our the bartender, etc) - SO WHY IN HEAVENS NAME WOULD YOU NOT TIP ON YOUR ALCOHOL?!?!!?!?

Well if I'm sitting at a bar and a bartender really quickly pops off a bottle cap, I don't think that warrants a 20% tip on the cost of that beer.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options

Bin-go.

Very true. I wouldn't care if not tipping screwed over the restaurant, but it screws over the individual worker which is why I am very fair in my tipping practices. But still, the tipping model IS designed to reward good service, so it is valid to tip less when service is bad.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options

I'm sorry, but if you don't like your job as a server, then find a new job (perferably one that doesn't require interpersonal interaction)... don't take whatever personal problems you are having that day out on innocent costumers... Yes, there are going to be jerks that don't tip properly... but on the same token, there are people that do actually want to tip properly and perhaps above and beyond what is normal... however, if you are doing a half *kitten* job for any other reason other than being new (and even then it's a stretch), then you really don't deserve a tip.

Like I said before, my husband and I have been known to tip on the upwards of 50%.... but a server won't get that if they are being rude, have a bad attitude, don't inform us on what is going on, etc.

Part of your job is to make our experience at your restaurant pleasurable... it's not pleasurable if we have to ask another server to refill our drinks or to find our order.
  • Stardiva37
    Stardiva37 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I think you did right.It is no excuss for bad service.Today I order food from an resturant before i went to work. I had called ahead so it would be ready. Well when i went to go get it,i saw the guy behind the glass texting i said hello 4 times. And he kept standing there texting so i said forget it and l walked out. How rude to not even acknowledge me. I just took my business elsewhere
  • dictations
    dictations Posts: 199
    Options
    Bad service? No tip. If the service is THAT sh*tty, they don't deserve my money.