Being bashed on for being 23 and pregnant!! :(

Options

Replies

• SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I was one of those moms who had a kid at 19 and one at 24. My son will be 23 next month and a lance corporal in the US Marine Corps and my daughter is 18 and is also graduating from HS next month. As long as you are a good mother, it doesn't matter what your age is. Ignore everyone that says you are too young.
  • Jugie12
    Jugie12 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    My mom got pregnant with me right after she turned 24, was unmarried and had nothing of her own. The church she attended turned her away because of it!

23 years later, I'm here, my folks are still together and in more love than ever before. They did everything they could to be the best parents they could be and made sure my sister and I got an education like you and were capable and willing to take responsibility for ourselves. It's time like this that test us and we see what we're made of! I'll be cheering you on, girlfriend!!! Anytime you need some encouragement, hit me up!
  • LauraSmyth28
    LauraSmyth28 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I was 19 when I had my first child and 24 when I had my second. My boys are beautiful, happy, healthy and make me proud every single day. They're 7 and 2 years old now, and I'm really glad I had them young.

I'm a great mother if I do say so myself :wink: , age doesn't come into it. You can be a mature 23 year old or an immature 40 year old.

Congratulations :flowerforyou: xxx
  • BeautifulScarsWECHANGED
    BeautifulScarsWECHANGED Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    23 really isn't that young to have a baby. As long as you're happy, who cares right? Congratulations!!
  • graceleigh614
    Options
    I had my first child at 20, second at 22 and third at 26. By the time I was 44, all three were out of the house! I now have grandchilden and am young enough and fit enough to play with them! I wouldn't change anything.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I had my first son at 22, he's just finishing up his doctorate degree at Kent State University..he lives in Ohio with his wife the bio-chemist. I had my second son at 26, he's awesome! Gainfully employed at the same company for 6 years now...works just a couple of blocks away from me, we get together for lunch often! So YES, I think I did something right!! And NO, 23 is not too young!

Congratulations and best wishes:flowerforyou:
  • jamiem1102
    jamiem1102 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Yeah... I'm a little confused about people giving you a hard time about being pregnant at 23. I think it's a pretty reasonable age, and I also think it's all in the mindset. :) Good luck and congratulations!
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    23 is not too young to be pregnant.. that's the norm.
  • Naybelline
    Naybelline Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    So I recently just found out that I am pregnant. I do not believe in abortion, and I am for sure willing to own up to my responsiblity. My boyfriend is very supportive as well, although the thing is.. I recently just left my job to go back to school, it is hard finding another job these days. I know no matter what I will strive to be the best mom I can be, I may be very "young" to alot of people, but I would love to hear any stories from young mothers who are holding up strong with their child today, and who has made it. Please.. I need the support.. Thank you mfp.

I was 19 when I fell pregnant with my daughter and 23 with my son! I'm now 33 and I have survived parent hood quite well !! lol

Ignore them 23 is a perfect age! Congratulations! :)
  • Yasmine91
    Yasmine91 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    23 is considered a great age to have children in many cultures xxx
  • 6heatherb6
    6heatherb6 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Good luck yo you!
    You are fabulous to not have an abortion - this little life loves you for that!
    I was 25, my daughter in law is 22 and my niece is also 22 when we had our first babies.
    Any chance of getting married though??
    All the very best,
    :heart: :heart:
  • vsyates
    vsyates Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    My daughter-in-law is 23 and she's an absolutely fantastic mother to my 3-month old granddaughter AND she's going back to school full-time in the fall. Maturity is the key here, not age.
  • Setof2Keys
    Setof2Keys Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Baby Girl, You are pregnant for 9 months for a reason...it's called maternal instincts. As long as your priorities are straight, you educate yourself about parenting skills, and you are always putting your child first before anyone and anything, being 23 isn't a curse. I had 2 children by 22 and both have Autism. I work a full time government job, became the first home owner in 4 generations, Im an Autism activist and my next goal is complete my degree. If I could tell you to do anything, it would be to complete school. Don't let anyone look down on you because half of them aren't doing so great themselves. You worry about you and your baby now.
  • chocolateandpb
    chocolateandpb Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    My very first friend to get pregnant became so in 7th grade. 23 is NOT too young. The fact that you left your job to pursue additional education clearly shows that you are smart, mature, and care about your future. You will be a great mom. Congratulations. :flowerforyou:
  • mandycasey
    mandycasey Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Hi i had my daughter when i was 21 and my son at 25, it was the best decision ever - you will do a fab job and be a fantastic mum xx
  • TheCats_Meow
    TheCats_Meow Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I was 21 when I had my first baby.

While it wasn't easy, I did, somehow, manage.

Granted, if I could go back & change it, I definitely would've waited until later, but hey, things happen & you can't change them once a decision has been made.

You just have to let the crap roll off your back & do what you gotta do to take care of yourself & your baby. Not to freak you out or anything, just don't ever expect or wait for it to be easy. It never will be! In the end, though, it just makes you a stronger person!

Good luck!!!!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • rlmcnay
    rlmcnay Posts: 62
    Options
    the thing is, i am unemployed now.. but JUST started going back to school. I am scared I won't make it but I know I would NEVER go through abortion.

Trust me your mother instincts will kick in and go into overdrive. You will find anyway possible to make sure your child has everything he or she needs. It will be hard no doubt but you can do it. Now is the time to make sure all your priorities are in line because if not they will be in 9 months or less ;-). Keep your head up you can do it!
  • CookieCrumble
    CookieCrumble Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    It's a shame that you're experiencing negativity surrounding your pregnancy. Perhaps it's out of concern for you at having left your job and just starting back in education rather than your age? 23 isn't young to have a child, it's probably a very good age. Anyway, whether people think it's a good idea or not, it's none of their business and perhaps you should think of a phrase that you can dismiss these people with - something like, "Goodness me, did you mean to be so rude?"...

Take no notice, it's your life and you have the absolute right to live it as you choose.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I had my first child at 20, second at 22 and third at 26. By the time I was 44, all three were out of the house! I now have grandchilden and am young enough and fit enough to play with them! I wouldn't change anything.

^^^^This!!! Isn't it wonderful having them young! By the time they are out of the house we're still young enough to enjoy life to the fullest!!!!!
  • tmaksparkie
    tmaksparkie Posts: 279
    Options
    You are not to young to have kids, I was 18 with my first and 20with my second and was a stay at home mom, and now am a daycare provider for lots of wonderful kids. Althought my own two kids are now 15 & 12yrs old. It is not easy but I think when people are young and have kids they always believe that person is selfish and puts themselves before their child and I think at any age people can be that way. Just do your best for your child and not worry what others may think.