Would you run a race knowing you would finish last?

Options

Replies

• OLFATUG
    OLFATUG Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Yep. I did. My very first 5k, to years ago. I came in about 10 from the last in a field of 400. I was just glad I finished.
  • lindsayboop1983
    lindsayboop1983 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    of course i would its not about where u finish its about giving it your best shot .
  • DarcieC2389
    DarcieC2389 Posts: 146
    Options
    Some people may disagree, but isn't important what place you get, but the fact that you completed a goal. Remember, the slow turtle that wins the race?
  • reaolliemama
    reaolliemama Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I would...I'm doing Warrior dash this weekend and I fully expect to finish last, as I have been sick and unable to train for a while, but I've got the go ahead to do it and I WILL FINISH!
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Hell yeah! It a matter of accomplishment not where I place. I like to get out there and prove that I can do it!
  • liog
    liog Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Oh...and to answer, yes. I would. I'm training for my first half this coming fall. I'm extremely slow - an absolute snail. I just want to finish. If I'm last and I've still made it across the finish line, I still get to take home my finisher's medal that shows what I've accomplished.

This is me too. I will be running a half next February. I don't care if I'm the last one to step across the finish line. I will be proud of myself regardless.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Your honest opinion

I used to do a lot of track and field athletics and when I was around 15 years old, there were some races I would be in whereby I was virtually certain I was going to wind up last - because of the grade of the race. I was still there at the starting line though, because it was a league match for my club.

Use each event as "you against the clock" - gradually your times will improve as you beat your personal best each time and with that will come an improvement in race position.

Besides which, how do you know you will come last?
  • stephanie1133
    stephanie1133 Posts: 211
    Options
    Every January the PF Changs Rock n Roll Marathon and Half Marathon comes to Phoenix. Every year many of my facebook friends run it and post about it. Every year I think WOW I want to do that, that's awesome. I never think hmmmmm I wonder what place they took. This year (technically 2013 since it's in January) I'm going to run the half marathon. I don't care one speck what place I take, I just want to prove to myself I can do it. If that means last place, so be it. As long as I finish within the 4 hour time frame I couldn't care less if I'm last, as long as I finish!
  • NiSan12
    NiSan12 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    As long as I finish!
  • barbaradilisio
    Options
    I have finished close to last in the 2 5K's I've done. It didn't bother me one bit. I was doing it for charity and my bad time didn't mean the charities wouldn't get the money.

I signed up for another 5K yesterday. Can't wait for it.
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    absolutely...once i got started, i'd push myself during the race even just to finish next to last though....for me the purpose is bettering myself...if it's my time from the time before or my distance or my pace.....just race yourself and dont worry about anyone else's time...i know its hard but it's the most important thing to remember....same with your weight loss journey - it's yours, you can't base your results on anyone else's...good luck if you choose to register for a race...i'm sure you'll do better than you think....denise
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Yes. I have. Worst part is getting lapped multiple times. You compete with yourself anyways
  • Platnex
    Platnex Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    If I knew I would be cheered or in some way not felt bad about it yes.
  • skruger22
    skruger22 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I have come in 3rd to last, and my mom and my sister and I walked a 10k and we were for sure the last people to finish, and both races were still totally awesome. I mean, SOMEONE has to be last! :) It's not so bad! Plus, it's the idea of doing it for you, not for anyone else- however, all that being said, it's still rather humbling.
    But yay for anyone who's out there DOING it! :)
    -Sonja
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    No.

I'm too competitive for that. Personally, it would be a waste of my money.
    ...but in RL, I don't think I'd ever be in that situation honestly.

No need to be cocky here. I run a sub 22 min 5k and finished last before.
  • faylenechung
    faylenechung Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I ran tack in High School and was the worst. I did it for fun. I can't run right now but as soon as I can I was thinking on doing a 5K and I know I would be last.
  • jmapes9
    jmapes9 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    No.
  • VanessaGS
    VanessaGS Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Yes, I would.
    I ran a 10k and finished dead-last! I felt that I had enough left in me for a final push to the finish line and make myself 2nd-to-last by passing, but I didn't have the heart to do it. It was a little boy, about 7 years old.

That's nice. How cute.
  • skb12573
    skb12573 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! The victory is in running and finishing!
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    Most definately. If I decided it was necessary for me, then yes. Your only true competition is yourself.