Would you run a race knowing you would finish last?

Options

Replies

• robsgurl
    robsgurl Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    if I decided to run in a race I would try my best even if I knew there was a chance I would most likely finish last..I would be happy I finished at all...=)
  • DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, you don't have an option.
    Way back when Olympic sprinter Johnny Jones was in high school, I officiated one of his football games.
    He caught a pass near the line of scrimmage (close to midfield), and I was about 10 yards in front of him.
    When he crossed the goal line, I was about 10 yards BEHIND him.
    He was rather fast.
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    A little OT but every year my tri club sets up a cheering station for the marathon and half marathon for Race Weekend in Ottawa (the club is around KM10 for both routes) . As you can see from the picture it wasn't a beautiful day but we stayed out to the bitter end and cheered through the last of the walkers.

251042_10150629708645422_823355421_18664305_4506408_n.jpg]

I can tell you from the looks on their faces being dead last was the farthest thing from their minds.
    that is AWESOME! such a good idea!
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Raced and finished last, and I knew I was going to finish there. Still loved doing it. If you enjoy what you're doing, it doesn't matter how that stacks up with everyone else.
  • jenalderman
    jenalderman Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I'm running my first half in the fall. I may finish dead last but my only goal is to finish in the alotted amount of time. As long I do that, I will have won on sooooo many levels. A year ago I couldn't run for 30 seconds with someone chasing me with a knife!
  • ribye
    ribye Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Been there done that and yes I'd do it again, running is about challenging yourself and even finishing last there were good people at the end cheering me on
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    YES. Finishing and not quitting IS winning.
  • SkettiGurl
    SkettiGurl Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. My first 10K that I ran I was last. I thought I was going to be last on the 5km I did in April as it was my first time back to running after 5 years...and I was not last which was great! (I wasn't far off it though...)

Even if you are last you are miles ahead of those people who won't even try. And heck...someone has to be last...
  • DEEDLYNN
    DEEDLYNN Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I did exactly that. My first race....(walk) was Thanksgiving Day, 2005. It was a 10K and I was at my highest weight. There were more than 11,000 people in that Turkey Trot, Cincinnati, Ohio. I came in DEAD last. DEAD LAST. I didn't think I'd finish. Everything was hurting. I didn't prepare for the race, I thought...hmmm just walking, I can do that. It was everything I could do to put one foot in front of the other. BUT, I DID FINISH!. It was bitter sweet.

The next year, I did the Turkey Trot again....but I had been exercising at that point. There were 13,000 people in that Turkey Trot, and I came in the top 50%, so I was pretty happy about my progress.

Unfortunately, I fell off that wagon and am now trying to get on it again. I will do the Turkey Trot again this year....but right now, in May 2012, I know that I don't want a repeat of 2005!
  • cavewoman15
    cavewoman15 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    i ran my first 5k last year in just under 40 minutes. First I was passed by the barefoot runners, then the old people, then the walker/runners, then the injured people. it was kinda rough on my spirit, but i finished without stopping and felt great afterward. Never thought I could do it!
  • BrunetteWife
    BrunetteWife Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    Yes I would. I'm in them for the experience mostly Also for the competition, but against myself. If I can keep beating my previous time, that's all that matters.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    When I finish my races they give me a medal. That means I "win" all my races right?
  • jnhu72
    jnhu72 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I would and I have! I did a 5k in a small town so there were about 150 participants, and I happened to be the slowest!
  • Wendy595
    Wendy595 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. I'm aiming for a 5K at the end of August and I'm a beginner runner. I know I will finish close to the end if not last but I finally have the confidence and courage to go out and do it. And who knows if they can see my overweight body do it maybe it will encourage them to be brave enough to try!
  • MamaKeeks
    MamaKeeks Posts: 234
    Options
    Hey, someone's gotta be last.... and I'm someone!!! :tongue:
  • Can't say honestly that I would go into a race with the mentality that I'm going to finish last. Even if the odds were slim that I would finish first, I would keep telling myself that I am going to finish first...even if others have crossed the finish line before me. If I go in with the "I'm gonna finish last mentality" then the odds are that I'm not going to push myself nearly as hard as I would if I'm trying to win. How we deal with actually losing demonstrates our strength of character more than how we start...in my mind anyway. Don't know if this makes much sense to anyone else, but I personally compete against myself more than against anyone else. IMO, if I start with, "I'm going to lose" then I've lost before I ever started...to be all zen about it. :p
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    A little OT but every year my tri club sets up a cheering station for the marathon and half marathon for Race Weekend in Ottawa (the club is around KM10 for both routes) . As you can see from the picture it wasn't a beautiful day but we stayed out to the bitter end and cheered through the last of the walkers.

251042_10150629708645422_823355421_18664305_4506408_n.jpg]

I can tell you from the looks on their faces being dead last was the farthest thing from their minds.
    that is AWESOME! such a good idea!

Golden, you are awesome. That is all.
  • Insangelous
    Insangelous Posts: 33
    Options
    no.
  • ipsamet
    ipsamet Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    not only would I, the date is Aug 12th. Oak Ridge TN, Secret City triathlon. I entered as motivation to workout.

Hey, me too! Though mine is July 15th. If I can get myself across the finish line, I'll be damn proud of myself. I'm fully expecting to be at the end, though.
  • geeksrule
    geeksrule Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Absolutely, and one of my MFP friends had it on their profile - doesn't matter how fast you go - your still lapping everybody sitting on the couch!!!