Survey time: Should a guy pay on a first date?

Options

Replies

• thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I don't even offer to pay on first dates anymore, because some guys get really defensive about it. I figure I'll just take my free meal.

Of course, once you've been together for four years, who pays doesn't really matter anymore. My boyfriend still pays frequently, but that's because he currently makes more money than me. When he was unemployed, I payed more often. Give and take.
  • junebug1994
    junebug1994 Posts: 13
    Options
    Yes - women should offer and the man should refuse to let her. :))
  • sdoldsMD2013
    sdoldsMD2013 Posts: 128
    Options
    Yes.
  • AshCakes88
    AshCakes88 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I always offer but I never expect to actually pay especially if he asked me out.
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    Why would, or should women offer if they're not intending to pay? Sounds like game playing to me.
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Why is this thread still going?

In my world, yeah, the guy pays for the pleasure of my company. I'm not offering anything, no game playing or pretending to pay.

That's how 95% of prostitute ads on craigslist go.

Must be some company.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    I don't know about "should"; whatever works for other people is their business, but personally I won't and never have let a guy pay. The way I see it, I expect a man to treat me as an equal, so I need to behave like one by paying my own share - otherwise I'd feel like I was taking advantage by trying to have my cake and eat it, too. That's just my personal take, though, like I said, I don't think it's "wrong" or anything if other people prefer to do it differently.

Ahh, this is where it's going to get interesting, and please don't take this as an attack against you, because it isn't. Your post is simply what brought it to mind.

I was called out directly more than once, citing my behavior in wanting to pay for dates as 'controlling' and based on my 'insecurity' as a man.

Here's the thing...isn't the behavior where you absolutely HAVE to DEMAND equal treatment in EVERY situation...just so it's clear you're an equal...a mask of insecurity as well? Doesn't giving actually prove that you are an equal with far more effect than stomping your foot and demanding to be treated as one? I mean, if I know I'm equal...it hurts me not at all to give...even to give often and deeply. That giving takes NOTHING from who I am, nor our respective equality.

If you know you're an equal...and you ARE an equal...what's the big deal about giving, and in the process, receiving?

I think you may misunderstand me; I don't by any means think that the vast, vast majority of men who offer to pay for a first date are doing so because they're plotting ways to be controlling or they're insecure and compensating for something! In my experience, most are either simply trying to be nice without any ulterior motive, or are doing it because they've been raised with the man paying as the social norm and as a result they feel uncomfortable, as if they are mistreating their date, if they don't pay, which still comes from a place of decency and respect, not anything sordid. I have to say - and I don't mean to offend, so hopefully you won't take it that way - but the people who called you out with those accusations sound paranoid and just plain *****y - it's pretty nuts to me to immediately jump to the conclusion that those must be a guy's motivations in that situation, yikes!

That said, I don't see how a calm, friendly, "Hey, I'd prefer to spilt the bill, cool?" qualifies as stomping one's foot or being unreasonably demanding. Perhaps some women are motivated by insecurity, but I think that's as unfair an assumption to gneralise as jumping to the conclusion that a man who wants to pay is motivated by a desire to control or a need to prove some kind of point. For me personally (as I said, no judgement of how others choose to deal with this), I simply don't feel comfortable having someone else pay my way (and FTR, it's not an issue of gender for me - I have never let any of the women I've dated pay on a first date, either, for the same reason). Now, if I'm dating someone on an ongoing basis, that's a different story - I don't mind if he/she treats sometimes, because then I can reciprocate and treat sometimes as well, and it more or less balances out.

That commentart wasn't directed at you...so much as previous conversations. It was just your post that made me think of it from that angle.
    chrisanderson
    you said:
    If you know you're an equal...and you ARE an equal...what's the big deal about giving, and in the process, receiving?

Why wouldn't that work both ways i.e. the woman treating a man to a dinner out?

It does...technically. Just not for me in general. And if she's adamant about splitting on the first date...fine, and there likely won't be a second. That kind of independence, and shout for some imagined equality...either tells me she's not interested in me already, or very soon won't. be...simply because of my natural views on what being 'together' means.

And again, I think we're all guilty of taking an inflexible stance due to the 'debate' nature of the discussion. If an attractive woman that I was interested in said to me after a wonderful date 'Next time...I want to take YOU out, and I'M paying...no argument!', I wouldn't spit in her face, tell her no...take my ball and go home. I'd tease her and tell her I should pay, and if she insisted, I'd gracefully accept. But by the end of the first date (or before, often)...she'd probably have a good idea about how I feel regarding those things. If she wants to proceed, it's going to be with that understanding.

That's ONE date also, and is of course an exception.
  • NU2U
    NU2U Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Why would, or should women offer if they're not intending to pay? Sounds like game playing to me.

I agree...that's exactly what it is!!!!
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options

It is! Thank you.
  • shellebelle87
    shellebelle87 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    bump
  • awadm
    awadm Posts: 252
    Options
    Yes! The women should offer to pay and the man should refuse to let her. :happy: That's how it works people.

amen to that!
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    Yes! The woman should offer to pay though, and then the man should refuse it and pay.
  • asgard825
    asgard825 Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    Yes man should pay
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options

to be polite and not presumptuous. she should be prepared to pay if he says yes, and he should be prepared to never hear from her again if he lets her pay.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options

In my world, yeah, the guy pays for the pleasure of my company. I'm not offering anything, no game playing or pretending to pay.

Must be some company.
    So I see you regularly surf the craigslist prostitution ads huh :huh:

She didn't say the pleasure of her company involved having sex with her
  • foodfight247
    foodfight247 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Two words people....HEAD....DESK...

......oh for Goodness Sake...

That's all.
  • crisanderson27
    Options

Must be some company.
    So I see you regularly surf the craigslist prostitution ads huh :huh:

She didn't say the pleasure of her company involved having sex with her

^^^

That's pretty much what I was thinking lol.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I do not believe in gender roles. I do not feel like a man and I do not feel like a woman. I feel like myself and I do not feel that my gender obligates me to behave in a certain way. Doing certain activities does not make me feel any more like a "man" whatever that means. I feel like me. Just me. Not man, not woman, not american, not pennsylvanian, just me.

Logically speaking I feel that the person who proposed the location/venue should be the one to pay because subconsciously they chose it with their own budget in mind. However that's for normal people...

My idea of a "date" usually is some form of all day event where I could not possibly afford to pay for the other person entirely, such as a day at an amusement park. I could cover their admission and a few refreshments here and there but that's about it... They should be willing to fork over for some things here and there.
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    I do not believe in gender roles. I do not feel like a man and I do not feel like a woman. I feel like myself and I do not feel that my gender obligates me to behave in a certain way. Doing certain activities does not make me feel any more like a "man" whatever that means. I feel like me. Just me. Not man, not woman, not american, not pennsylvanian, just me.

Logically speaking I feel that the person who proposed the location/venue should be the one to pay because subconsciously they chose it with their own budget in mind. However that's for normal people...

My idea of a "date" usually is some form of all day event where I could not possibly afford to pay for the other person entirely, such as a day at an amusement park. I could cover their admission and a few refreshments here and there but that's about it... They should be willing to fork over for some things here and there.

If I couldn't afford to pay for her day at the amusement park with me...I wouldn't have invited her there. That's a great date idea...but you've got to admit it would be quite awkward for you to pay her way in, buy her some refreshments, and then when she wants to go do something that costs extra...say 'Sorry, I don't have the money to pay for us both'.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options

If I couldn't afford to pay for her day at the amusement park with me...I wouldn't have invited her there. That's a great date idea...but you've got to admit it would be quite awkward for you to pay her way in, buy her some refreshments, and then when she wants to go do something that costs extra...say 'Sorry, I don't have the money to pay for us both'.

One thing I like about that is just that, that it forces her to contribute something. I don't like feeling like the other person is taking advantage of me and when they have to contribute something, even if it's just a little bit, like having to pay for their own trips to the concession stand a few times,then I get that feeling I'm looking for. Something just doesn't sit right with me about having them contribute nothing to the date. And maybe this is just because I'm not a naturally social person, but when I don't know you well enough to have already formed a strong bond with you, then your company alone isn't enough to make it worth it.