whats the worst "food myth" you have heard?

Options

Replies

• crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Hmm...This isn't a "diet" myth necessarily, but my aunt believes that the only healthy people in the world (aside from her, and she is quite overweight for her size) are skinny people....oh, and i hate when people hate on carbs/sugar/salt....and when my brother says things like "you should start eating paleo, I lost 8 pounds in a month eating a pound of bacon every day"--I think my arteries clog just from hearing him speak....

See, I am not all together certain eating bacon makes your arteries clog. I think that one is a big myth too.

Exactly.
  • luvsherhubby
    luvsherhubby Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    hmmm ... so many. sodium is the devil and sugar is the devil's evil little henchman. but you can't eat artificial sweeteners, either, unless you want to grow an extra appendage before dying from cancer.
    totally true, kind of.
  • boggsmeister
    boggsmeister Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Broken biscuits don't count, because they aren't whole biscuits.
    Biscuits that you eat in the dark don't count, because you can't see them.
    Really thin biscuits don't count if you eat them side-on, I guess because they are really thin and therefore you kind-of can't see them either...

Anyone seeing a recurring theme here?!

I also read on here somewhere the other day - if you eat too much fat your liver turns it into insulin so that will make your insulin resistance worse.

Also I feel a need to comment on some other things I've seen, though I haven't read the whole way through this thread.
    Fruits are full of sugar which is bad, IF you eat a lot of them IF you are, for example, diabetic. High blood sugar is not conducive to weight loss.
    Dietary fat clogs your arteries. Someone said this is one of those myths. If not from your diet, where do you think that circulating fat comes from? Why do you think things like the Atkins diet that encourage people to eat more fat result in statistically higher rates of heart disease and atherosclerosis? It is absorbed from your gut, metabolised by your liver and packaged into lipoproteins to be transported around your body for storage. Too many lipoproteins of a certain kind get eaten up by other cells and sit in the walls of your blood vessels. Ergo, fat clogging arteries.
    FALSE as far as the fat clogging artery portion...OMG people have no clue when it comes to cholesterol
    I am going to stop reading this post now, reading some of this non-sense is raising my Blood pressure (False, you can't actually feel blood pressure, hence hypertension is known as the "silent killer" in the medical world)

I would love you to explain to me how you think the fat gets there.

Cows don't eat fat. Cows are full of fat. Your body makes fat all on it's own. It's true. It's science.
  • kekl
    kekl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Popcorn is filled with proteins.
    Dark chocolate won't make you fat because of the antioxidants.

(^ both of these were from the same lady... smh lol)

Other gems:
    Dairy slows down your metabolism
    You have to eat every few hours or your muscles will start eating themselves
    Your body can only digest 600 calories at a time, if you eat any more than that in one sitting it will turn straight to fat

Oh and then something about apple cider vinegar. I remember taking a shot of that evey day because I thought it was good for me and it was the nastiest tasting thing on the planet.
  • tldust
    tldust Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Bump. These myths are just too good. Have to save them for later.
  • avenathus
    avenathus Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    That you should never go more than a few hours without eating. What, so you get up in the middle of the night to eat handfuls of almonds??? Just silly.
  • dward2011
    dward2011 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    if you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding. how can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?

^^ awesome
  • FrostyFour
    FrostyFour Posts: 262
    Options
    That you should never go more than a few hours without eating. What, so you get up in the middle of the night to eat handfuls of almonds??? Just silly.

Not supporting this myth, but when I get up in the middle of the night with the baby I'll just have a quick couple of egg whites. Sounds silly but I just like a lil midnight protein boost!
  • FrostyFour
    Options
    if you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding. how can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?

^^ awesome

I knew I was missing something so I googled it. Oh. Well, now I don't feel old anymore...
  • AABru
    AABru Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    peeking through my window and seeing me shirtless spoon slaping flight of the bumblee will cause you to go blind
    I've played flight of the buble bee... spoon slapping (even shirtless) would be a tremendous feat!!!!:drinker:
  • MsMuniz
    MsMuniz Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    'Red Bull gives you wings'

so disappointed when I found out this was a myth.
  • siobhano_
    siobhano_ Posts: 101
    Options
    That diet and lite and low fat "foods" are actually good for you. No. A sugar free/low carb/low fat/diet chocolate bar is still unhealthy.

Oh and "fattening foods". Apparently nuts and cheese have calories which are "fattening" but things like pasta and bread don't. hmm

I hate when people claim drinking water makes them too bloated, water actually helps that sorta thing.
  • FrostyFour
    Options
    That diet and lite and low fat "foods" are actually good for you. No. A sugar free/low carb/low fat/diet chocolate bar is still unhealthy.

Oh and "fattening foods". Apparently nuts and cheese have calories which are "fattening" but things like pasta and bread don't. hmm

I hate when people claim drinking water makes them too bloated, water actually helps that sorta thing.

I gotta admit, after years of gorging myself on soda, it took a long time to sell me the idea of guzzling water. I bought a quart-sized water bottle, drank 3 and the next day I'd gained 8 pounds... scared the heck out of me!

I'm okay now though :)
  • stargazer008
    stargazer008 Posts: 531
    Options
    Dietary fat makes one fat
    Carbs make you fat

Only an excess of calories makes one gain weight
  • KristalDawnO
    KristalDawnO Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Crust makes your hair curly! :noway:

I love me some crust lol
  • sollyn
    sollyn Posts: 179
    Options
    "Legumes are poisonous" Heard it on MFP from a Paleo fanatic.

Some people have peanut allergies, if they eat them they could die. Peanuts are legumes therefore you can extrapolate to legumes are poisonous ;P

Are they really? Is this true or a myth?
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    "fruits are bad because they are full of sugar"
    Are you sure that wasn't just a homophobic rant?

This made me LOL!
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    "Legumes are poisonous" Heard it on MFP from a Paleo fanatic.

Some people have peanut allergies, if they eat them they could die. Peanuts are legumes therefore you can extrapolate to legumes are poisonous ;P

Are they really? Is this true or a myth?

It's a myth lol. That was internet sarcasm.

Wait, I should probably clarify. It's a myth other than the part that peanuts cause people with peanut allergies to have possibly life threatening reactions, obviously.
  • nancyaaa
    nancyaaa Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    "fruits are bad because they are full of sugar"

My trainer says this all the time. He also told me I'm fat because I eat carbs and will continue to be fat until I stop eating them. Apparently doing cardio 3-4 times a week, strength training 3 times a week and staying at or under my caloric needs doesn't mean anything and nothing will change until I cut out carbs. Carbs. The source of all evil. The reason I'm fat....apparently.

I don't talk to him about nutrition anymore.

I think that is true for some people. If you are prediabetic (make excessive insulin and probably somewhat insulin resistant) eating carbs will cause calories to be stored as fat, as insulin will prevent sugar from being used as energy in your cells.
  • jackieatx
    jackieatx Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Mushrooms are contain more fat than any other vegetable. ridiculous...

Huh??? Never heard that myth before.

Mushrooms tend to absorb more flavor and fat than other vegetables when sauteed in butter or oil, which is why they are a great replacement for beef in burgers. But raw, no, most certainly not!