Who initiates in your house??

Options

Replies

• SirZee
    SirZee Posts: 381
    Options
    Someone mentioned "negotiation tool". I'd take that any day over "weapon of logic". "Well I am right because if I am not, then you aren't getting it tonight--(this being the one she put off from the previous night)". True story, not joking.
  • Fit4Evolution
    Fit4Evolution Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    god 4 or 5x a week geeeze , after 5 weeks i am like hey u better get your *kitten* ready tonight .. ive asked every weekend and keep getting the 2 letter answer! i would say he is quite the lucky guy
  • chantalb20
    chantalb20 Posts: 132
    Options
    i initiate maybe 8/10... and get rejected maybe half of that time.
    it's ridiculous; i'm the one up with the baby/nnot getting much sleep and i want to do it!
    he reckons he can't be bothered.
    it does wonders for my confidence and self esteem :|
    what i wouldn't give for him to initiate a bit more...
  • Fit4Evolution
    Fit4Evolution Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    god 4 or 5x a week geeeze , after 5 weeks i am like hey u better get your *kitten* ready tonight .. ive asked every weekend and keep getting the 2 letter answer! i would say he is quite the lucky guy
  • kristalfrissy
    kristalfrissy Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Someone mentioned "negotiation tool". I'd take that any day over "weapon of logic". "Well I am right because if I am not, then you aren't getting it tonight--(this being the one she put off from the previous night)". True story, not joking.

I'm sorry but I can't believe some of the stuff she has said to you--she sounds like a major b!tch!
  • seattle_chick
    Options
    I used to be the initiator 100% of the time. But, after being rejected 100% of the time, I stopped initiating.

My husband and I have had a lot of conversations about it. It's actually really hard for me to talk about because I start to get really teary over it. The response I get from him time and time again is that sex just isn't important to him. Honestly, I think he'd rather play a board game or hide out in his office planning his next Dungeons and Dragons encounter. He'll usually use the excuse that he's too tired but then he'll stay up for hours after I give up and go to bed.

Even though you acquiesce to your husband's needs, I can see where he's coming from. In the beginning, my hubby would still have sex with me once in a while (not nearly what I'd come to expect from previous relationships) but at least it was something. When you're the initiator 100% of the time, even if your partner is willing, it starts to sting.

At first, I wondered if it was me. I'd ask him all the time what I could be doing to make him desire me but he couldn't answer. I'm a very open-minded lover with a kinky streak so I tried and tried to see if maybe he was into something weird that he was ashamed to talk about. No dice.

I started to feel cheap each time I'd ask for sex. Rejection hurt but even when we did have sex, I'd feel this overwhelming sense of shame. Like I was a bad person for "making" my own husband sleep with me. Things would feel pleasurable in the moment and then I'd feel sick and sad and confused afterward because the act was so devoid of the truly passionate, emotional and physical connection I so desperately crave.

The longer we went between sexual encounters, the more I began to ask myself, "What's wrong with ME for needing sex so badly from someone who isn't interested???" I began to get more and more awkward when trying to initiate sex because things kept getting more and more rusty. The little sex we used to have wasn't worth phoning home about because we never got to fall into any kind of rhythm or sense of familiarity. And he could seemingly care less about getting to know what makes my body tick. He's certainly never expressed any curiosity or attempted any iota of foreplay.

It took a long time for me to accept that my husband's lack of desire is not my fault and that there isn't anything I can do to change that. Today, the thought of having sex with him seems almost absurd. I lost my desire for him when I began to see it wasn't mutual in the way I needed it to be. I will still give his ego positive strokes now and then and try to make him feel sexy because I feel that is my obligation as his wife and because I love him. But the part of me that lusted after him for so many years has died.

Unfortunately, that's not to say that my libido died. I feel trapped in a state of near-combustion every day. I have to be careful about who I make friends with because I'm terrified of being tempted by an affair. Particularly now that I have my body back because I'm cute and geeky in a way that makes a lot of guys crazy for me. I get depressed easily. I get moody and frustrated when I'm ovulating. I feel empty and guilty after masturbating because I wish I could turn that part of me off.

I always loved sex and have always needed a lot of physical attention. I thought I could learn to live with out it but it's turned out to be so much harder than I expected. I've actually scheduled an appointment with a shrink next week just to try and process it more.
  • abberbabber
    abberbabber Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    I used to be the initiator 100% of the time. But, after being rejected 100% of the time, I stopped initiating.

My husband and I have had a lot of conversations about it. It's actually really hard for me to talk about because I start to get really teary over it. The response I get from him time and time again is that sex just isn't important to him. Honestly, I think he'd rather play a board game or hide out in his office planning his next Dungeons and Dragons encounter. He'll usually use the excuse that he's too tired but then he'll stay up for hours after I give up and go to bed.

Even though you acquiesce to your husband's needs, I can see where he's coming from. In the beginning, my hubby would still have sex with me once in a while (not nearly what I'd come to expect from previous relationships) but at least it was something. When you're the initiator 100% of the time, even if your partner is willing, it starts to sting.

At first, I wondered if it was me. I'd ask him all the time what I could be doing to make him desire me but he couldn't answer. I'm a very open-minded lover with a kinky streak so I tried and tried to see if maybe he was into something weird that he was ashamed to talk about. No dice.

I started to feel cheap each time I'd ask for sex. Rejection hurt but even when we did have sex, I'd feel this overwhelming sense of shame. Like I was a bad person for "making" my own husband sleep with me. Things would feel pleasurable in the moment and then I'd feel sick and sad and confused afterward because the act was so devoid of the truly passionate, emotional and physical connection I so desperately crave.

The longer we went between sexual encounters, the more I began to ask myself, "What's wrong with ME for needing sex so badly from someone who isn't interested???" I began to get more and more awkward when trying to initiate sex because things kept getting more and more rusty. The little sex we used to have wasn't worth phoning home about because we never got to fall into any kind of rhythm or sense of familiarity. And he could seemingly care less about getting to know what makes my body tick. He's certainly never expressed any curiosity or attempted any iota of foreplay.

It took a long time for me to accept that my husband's lack of desire is not my fault and that there isn't anything I can do to change that. Today, the thought of having sex with him seems almost absurd. I lost my desire for him when I began to see it wasn't mutual in the way I needed it to be. I will still give his ego positive strokes now and then and try to make him feel sexy because I feel that is my obligation as his wife and because I love him. But the part of me that lusted after him for so many years has died.

Unfortunately, that's not to say that my libido died. I feel trapped in a state of near-combustion every day. I have to be careful about who I make friends with because I'm terrified of being tempted by an affair. Particularly now that I have my body back because I'm cute and geeky in a way that makes a lot of guys crazy for me. I get depressed easily. I get moody and frustrated when I'm ovulating. I feel empty and guilty after masturbating because I wish I could turn that part of me off.

I always loved sex and have always needed a lot of physical attention. I thought I could learn to live with out it but it's turned out to be so much harder than I expected. I've actually scheduled an appointment with a shrink next week just to try and process it more.

This makes me so sad....I understand what it's like, but the hurt is just so obvious in your post. I'm so sorry you're having to go through this, it's so not a good place to be. Especially when you're someone who responds to physical love and you're not getting that.
  • seattle_chick
    Options
    Wow. Just having someone acknowledge that is making me want to cry. Thanks for the validation. This whole thread, actually, has really helped me to see that it's ok for me to want sex and that I shouldn't have to feel ashamed all the time.
  • brittanymt19
    brittanymt19 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I am the one that always jump my husband bone. It make me mad and he turn me down sometime because i want it too much. I would suggest that you go at it with him. He is still attractive to you seeing how he make the move all the time so just let your stress go and when u get in the bed take him down! Married for seven years!
  • abberbabber
    abberbabber Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Wow. Just having someone acknowledge that is making me want to cry. Thanks for the validation. This whole thread, actually, has really helped me to see that it's ok for me to want sex and that I shouldn't have to feel ashamed all the time.

Oh honey, I just wanna give you a big ole hug. Of course it's ok for you to want sex! It's a perfectly natural desire. Has your husband talked to a doctor to see if there's some sort of hormonal issue going on that's killing his sex drive? Maybe the two of you could go to counseling together, so that your husband can understand better how important intimacy is to a relationship.

There is NOTHING wrong with you. You're a young, beautiful, healthy woman with healthy wants, needs and desires.
  • sunnie326
    sunnie326 Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    Usually me, but it requires negotiation, usually related to promising to buy her something the next day. I hurts my feelings, and makes me feel pretty cheap and worthless.

Ouch!!! It would hurt my feelings too. :cry:
  • seattle_chick
    Options

Oh honey, I just wanna give you a big ole hug. Of course it's ok for you to want sex! It's a perfectly natural desire. Has your husband talked to a doctor to see if there's some sort of hormonal issue going on that's killing his sex drive? Maybe the two of you could go to counseling together, so that your husband can understand better how important intimacy is to a relationship.

There is NOTHING wrong with you. You're a young, beautiful, healthy woman with healthy wants, needs and desires.

Thanks for the hugs! I'm hoping me finding a therapist to talk to will be the catalyst to couples counseling. Just want to get my thoughts and feelings in order first.
  • seattle_chick
    Options
    Usually me, but it requires negotiation, usually related to promising to buy her something the next day. I hurts my feelings, and makes me feel pretty cheap and worthless.

Ouch!!! It would hurt my feelings too. :cry:

Yeah, I'd take my miserable situation over that any day. :(
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    he has some underlying issues if he's going to drop you after 16 years for THAT.

To answer your question, I typically want it at the most inopportune times (usually when I'm ovulating, or when I'm menstruating) and he typically initiates other than that.

for me it has to do with the fluctuation in my hormones, which have been all over the place the last 5 or 6 months. But sex isn't everything, and I would never want it to be such a huge part of our relationship as it seems to be on your husbands end...
  • markyp33
    markyp33 Posts: 25
    Options
    He needs to learn the difference between sex and love. If your partner hugs and kisses you and tells you she loves you - that makes you feel wanted. Sex is a celebration of that love - not the be all and end all.

I initiate 100% of the time, with a 20% success rate. Want it eveyday if poss but get it once or twice a fortnight.

I'm not happy with the sex side of things but I can't force her (can I ???????? lol - joking)
  • sunnie326
    sunnie326 Posts: 721 Member
    Options

My heart aches for you. We all have the right to feel loved and appreciated and wanted. I hope that you are able to get through this with your counseling. I wish you luck. I don't think I could stick it out in a relationship like yours. I can tell just from your words that you are so very hurt over this. I cannot imagine living that hurt every single day of your life.
  • 4caramel
    4caramel Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Step up chic! make him feel wanted.....before sombody else does
  • starrynightskys
    starrynightskys Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hold up...... men turn women down for sex??!
  • smkafka
    smkafka Posts: 134 Member
    Options

My husband has turned me down for years! We have been married for 12 years and no longer have sex. He won't talk about it either. I love him so what can I do? I miss sex a lot and think about it a lot. I am hoping that when I lose the weight he may come back to me. So yes...men turn women down. And it does hurt!
  • kimtpa1417
    kimtpa1417 Posts: 461 Member
    Options

My husband has turned me down for years! We have been married for 12 years and no longer have sex. He won't talk about it either. I love him so what can I do? I miss sex a lot and think about it a lot. I am hoping that when I lose the weight he may come back to me. So yes...men turn women down. And it does hurt!
    [/quote

Its very frustrating being turned down