Home school vs public school?

Replies

• jb852013
    jb852013 Posts: 116
    I homeschool my two children, and many of the stereotypes posted here are unfair and not true. Most homeschoolers do very well in social situations. We have gone to events where they tell us that they love it when homeschoolers come because they are so well behaved. The children all play together no matter ages or special needs.

We go to co-op classes, and I was subbing for a teenage class. After all their work was completed they got in a circle to talk. Some of the children did not get in the circle, so the other kids called them into the circle and finally ALL the kids were in the circle together. They didn't want to leave anyone out.

I have also organized a block walk for our precinct and a couple homeschooled teenagers came to help. This wasn't their first time helping in politics. They were very well informed, mature, and "normal'. Everyone was shocked at how intelligent these girls were.

My oldest child is 6 and she gets plenty of time to be around kids. One thing I love about homeschooling is that she is not just around kids her own age that all happen to live in the same area, but she is around many different people. She goes to a creative arts school that is designed for children of all abilities to work together. One of her friends has spina bifida. She also socializes with homeless children when we go to the homeless shelter to pass out cookies to the kiddos.

With my daughter taking classes outside the home (co-op, creative arts, and next year a once a week school where she is there for 3 hours doing science, social studies, lunch and recess), ballet, church, Awanas, homeschool field trips, and play dates she has plenty of time to spend with kids. She has so many friends from so many different activities. All of her friends are so different, but she loves each and every single one of her. For an "unsocialized homeschooler" she sure had a HUGE amount of friends show up at her birthday party this year.

And for needing to be bullied to learn how to live in the real world, she has plenty of that from her cousins down the street and their friends. So don't worry about that.

Just wanted to add that academically she is thriving even though I have only taken about two years of college classes with no degree. She is in kindergarten and is reading at a 5th grade level (according to my school teacher friend) and is going to finish up her 1st grade math curriculum this year. It is a very challenging curriculum where she is learning to visualize numbers. We do most of our problems in our head. Not on paper. And she has learned to read and add four digit numbers. People are impressed by her, and it is all because I am able to find curriculum that fits her learning style, and she is able to go at her own pace. And no, I do not have her do more school work than one hour in a day. She gets to play most of the day.
  • farm_mamaX9
    farm_mamaX9 Posts: 67
    I homeschool my two children, and many of the stereotypes posted here are unfair and not true. Most homeschoolers do very well in social situations. We have gone to events where they tell us that they love it when homeschoolers come because they are so well behaved. The children all play together no matter ages or special needs.

We go to co-op classes, and I was subbing for a teenage class. After all their work was completed they got in a circle to talk. Some of the children did not get in the circle, so the other kids called them into the circle and finally ALL the kids were in the circle together. They didn't want to leave anyone out.

I have also organized a block walk for our precinct and a couple homeschooled teenagers came to help. This wasn't their first time helping in politics. They were very well informed, mature, and "normal'. Everyone was shocked at how intelligent these girls were.

My oldest child is 6 and she gets plenty of time to be around kids. One thing I love about homeschooling is that she is not just around kids her own age that all happen to live in the same area, but she is around many different people. She goes to a creative arts school that is designed for children of all abilities to work together. One of her friends has spina bifida. She also socializes with homeless children when we go to the homeless shelter to pass out cookies to the kiddos.

With my daughter taking classes outside the home (co-op, creative arts, and next year a once a week school where she is there for 3 hours doing science, social studies, lunch and recess), ballet, church, Awanas, homeschool field trips, and play dates she has plenty of time to spend with kids. She has so many friends from so many different activities. All of her friends are so different, but she loves each and every single one of her. For an "unsocialized homeschooler" she sure had a HUGE amount of friends show up at her birthday party this year.

And for needing to be bullied to learn how to live in the real world, she has plenty of that from her cousins down the street and their friends. So don't worry about that.

Just wanted to add that academically she is thriving even though I have only taken about two years of college classes with no degree. She is in kindergarten and is reading at a 5th grade level (according to my school teacher friend) and is going to finish up her 1st grade math curriculum this year. It is a very challenging curriculum where she is learning to visualize numbers. We do most of our problems in our head. Not on paper. And she has learned to read and add four digit numbers. People are impressed by her, and it is all because I am able to find curriculum that fits her learning style, and she is able to go at her own pace. And no, I do not have her do more school work than one hour in a day. She gets to play most of the day.

Just wanted to say that I like your post!
  • Jaloth
    Jaloth Posts: 28
    I was home schooled and the only thing I have to say is tell your parents that your sister needs the social end of it!! Get her out with people even it is to the pool or park she needs other people around her!!!
  • coloradocami
    coloradocami Posts: 368 Member
    I am the mother of four and we have used parochial, public and on-line schooling for my children based on their individual needs and desires. We are lucky to live in a time where there are so many quality options.
    Good for your mom for looking at what is best for her child...education should fit the child not the other way around! :flowerforyou:
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Depends on the school, the parents, and the child.

But I would talk to the school first, especially if the issue is social awkwardness and anxiety. Around 7 or 8, there's a surge of hormones, and kids act a little different for a while. Then it often calms down for a couple of years until puberty. (And sometimes there's non-school things that can be addressed, from home routine, to outside activities, sleep routines, etc).
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member

Then plan to support your children later on in life, when they cannot get into college, or get a decent job because colleges and employers look for such things as transcripts, grades, etc. Good luck with that.
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member

Then plan to support your children later on in life, when they cannot get into college, or get a decent job because colleges and employers look for such things as transcripts, grades, etc. Good luck with that.

Not always. You can still get a diploma. Colleges look for ACT and SAT scores, and many colleges are now actively pursuing homeschooled and unschooled students, as they typically have better critical thinking skills and higher levels of creativity. I personally don't think I would "unschool," but studies have shown that student-led learning tends to be more in-depth, with higher rates of retention than teacher-led learning. I don't really understand all that unschooling is, but I would think that as long as the parent takes an active role in helping the child investigate what he or she is asking about, it can be quite a well-rounded education.
  • impyimpyaj
    I find it unsettling that a professional teacher has such harsh attitudes toward schooling options other than formal schooling. As I said earlier, part of the reason I support homeschooling is BECAUSE of my studies in education. Formal schooling has its place, but it's certainly not the only good option, or the best for every child and every family.
  • VegesaurusRex
    VegesaurusRex Posts: 1,018

Honestly, I really have to wonder where some of you teachers get your information. There are thousands of success stories of unschoolers getting into and thriving in college. Here is just one:

http://lisarussell.suite101.com/grown-up-homeschoolers-and-college-admissions-a211397
  • VegesaurusRex

Not always. You can still get a diploma. Colleges look for ACT and SAT scores, and many colleges are now actively pursuing homeschooled and unschooled students, as they typically have better critical thinking skills and higher levels of creativity. I personally don't think I would "unschool," but studies have shown that student-led learning tends to be more in-depth, with higher rates of retention than teacher-led learning. I don't really understand all that unschooling is, but I would think that as long as the parent takes an active role in helping the child investigate what he or she is asking about, it can be quite a well-rounded education.

AJ, agreed. We use, as I said, the classical home schooling model, but I know of dozens of cases of unschooling that ultimately resulted in college admissions.
  • VegesaurusRex
    I find it unsettling that a professional teacher has such harsh attitudes toward schooling options other than formal schooling. As I said earlier, part of the reason I support homeschooling is BECAUSE of my studies in education. Formal schooling has its place, but it's certainly not the only good option, or the best for every child and every family.

Hear! Hear!
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    The arrogance of "real" teachers is astounding.

Wow.
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member

What's this propaganda bull *kitten* you're spewing?

I don't see why I should put my child through an education that rarely fully caters to their needs, and expects them to follow a set way of learning, when they can learn academically AND creatively at home. Children are constantly learning, and unschooling caters for that. Just an FYI, you should really open your mind and do some research before patronising me.
  • impyimpyaj
    I'd also like to point out the vast numbers of people who go through public school and suffer from "failure to launch." I personally know 3 of them. But I don't blame that on their education, because that would be stupid. I don't understand why people assume that homeschoolers/unschoolers will be antisocial, awkward, weird, and dependent, when there are plenty of those kinds of people who went through public schools their entire lives. There's absolutely no correlation, and certainly no causation. Homeschooling doesn't cause these things, any more than public school cures these things.
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    I'd also like to point out the vast numbers of people who go through public school and suffer from "failure to launch." I personally know 3 of them. But I don't blame that on their education, because that would be stupid. I don't understand why people assume that homeschoolers/unschoolers will be antisocial, awkward, weird, and dependent, when there are plenty of those kinds of people who went through public schools their entire lives. There's absolutely no correlation, and certainly no causation. Homeschooling doesn't cause these things, any more than public school cures these things.

^this

I think people either fear, or make assumptions, about things they don't understand.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member

You totally rock, AJWeekley!! I totally agree with your many well-reasoned and well-stated posts, including this one.
  • smplycomplicated
    smplycomplicated Posts: 484 Member
    I home school my daughter. She went to public school in kindergarten and I loved the school. Our decision to start homeschooling was because of health issues. She has ADHD, and after several attempts at trying to find the right meds to help it caused more harm than good. She is now a happy, Healthy lil girl :) With regular play dates with friends..we are members of a local homeschool group, and we're both very busy with girl scouts.

It completely depends on the child, and the situation. :)
  • smplycomplicated
    smplycomplicated Posts: 484 Member

Thank you. I couldn't have said it better myself <3