Looking for Feminist Friends

Options

Replies

• Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Whoa, lets not turn this into an attack on feminism, I don't think this thread is the place for that. I'll leave this thread after this comment so as to avoid further issues...

Wait, what's that? You want to hear my views on feminism? Oh, ok. :wink:

Personally, whilst I see there was a great need for the feminist uprising (labelled as such), I personally believe that this is an outdated term and just reinforces the mental image of an opressed woman trying desperately to seek independance and equality.

Whilst I grant that this is still a valid plight in many parts of the world, I believe that the majority of users of this forum have cast aside the shackles of male oppression, and indeed have more power than us mere males in many aspects of life. I fully support equal right (including equal pay and opportunities etc) for women and men, but the tag of feminism is counterproductive to the cause in my humble opinion.

There are a number of groups that are not given entirely equal rights in the world, including a range of ethnicities, and people from various religious and socio-ecomonic backgrounds. Surely we should be striving to be at a point in society where 'feminism' in its original sense is no longer relevant, but that we should instead be spruiking 'equal right for all'?

Anyway, my 2c... hopefully I've demonstrated that I'm not some uneducated yokel, and that my comment was meant entirely as humerous and not malicious.

:flowerforyou:

All true and one of the freedoms I am glad to have is the freedom to call my self any dirty word I like... even a feminist... I love my militant sistas and would never shy away from the label because I worry they reflect badly on me. As for other issues of oppression, it is my experience that good, empathetic people have room in their heart to care about the whole wide world and there are others who care for only themselves. My guess is that the OP (like you) care about a whole slew of human rights issues around the world... however sexism is the only discrimination that I've seen lots of examples of on MFP. If there were heaps of openly racist people I'd probs be looking for non-racist friends too:)

plus you're from adelaide so what would you know :tongue:
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    "Feminism has fought no wars. It has killed no opponents. It has set up no concentration camps, starved no enemies, practiced no cruelties. Its battles have been for education, for the vote, for better working conditions.. for safety on the streets... for child care, for social welfare...for rape crisis centers, women's refuges, reforms in the law." (If someone says) 'Oh, I'm not a feminist,' (I ask) 'Why? What's your problem?'" - Dale Spender, author of For the Record: The Making & Meaning of Feminist Knowledge, 1985

Well technically no "movement" has done those things it is the people behind the movement that is lead by a specific intent that has done those things. The Nazi movement was a movement towards the eradication of non nazis, the feminist movement s a movement towards whatever it is a movement towards nowadays. It is sensationalism to say that the movement has never done any thing bad.... The same thing could be said about every other non violent movement.

I think woman have a problem being objectified by a "movement" that its very ideals are very confusing.

I practice a religion that involves Goddess worship, I hold women in very high esteem but I have met some feminists who are on the opposite end of the spectrum who are rather vitriolic and aggressive about their "anti man" views. I believe there is a balance and in my experience "feminists" tend to be on the opposite masculine aggressive spectrum.
  • abberbabber
    abberbabber Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one not seeing rampant sexism? O.o
  • Nataliaho
    Options

Oh...and a definite requirement to have your sense of humor forcibly removed.

What... when... how.... i swear it was in there yesterday...
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    haha, I'll take that with the good humour with which it was intended.

oh and Cris, keep going mate. You'll have that target back on you in no time.

It may be my upbringing as an educated and overly-fortunate white male, but I don't get the hatred thing. Let's just acknowledge, accept and embrace diversity. Love one. Love all.

You label yourselves as femenists, I get that on some level, but call yourselves people. Equal to every other person (except me of course, I'm way more awesome!)
  • Nataliaho
    Options

It may be my upbringing as an educated and overly-fortunate white male, but I don't get the hatred thing. Let's just acknowledge, accept and embrace diversity. Love one. Love all.

You label yourselves as femenists, I get that on some level, but call yourselves people. Equal to every other person (except me of course, I'm way more awesome!)

you know the biggest problem with Cris?? shhhhhhhh I reckon he's really a feminist.... he just lives in denial :flowerforyou:
  • Alexandria_JB
    Options
    So, I'm just going to mostly ignore the entire debate on the forum and say -- I identify as a "feminist" to people who are sensitive and subtle enough to appreciate the difference between being feminist and being misandrist (as most dissenters on this thread appear to be missing). I used to even be okay with the "radical feminist" label until I realized the outdated, first-wave transphobia endemic to the movement.

And yes, people, feminism has waves... and even within the waves, there is plenty of disagreement. So anyone who says "I dislike 'feminism' because it is x, y, or z" is already kind of working from a flawed assumption, because there is no single, Official Definition of Feminism.

As for the relationship between weight loss and feminism, I always find it interesting that I tend to begin weight loss projects from a place of insecurity, but so long as I am serious about the exercise side of things, any body image issues get sort of transvaluated, because the sense of athletic achievement you get from training hard is just so ****ing amazing.

Adding you now! :)
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I'd like any of y'all to feel free to add me. :flowerforyou:
  • blnorman29
    blnorman29 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Feminist here. Just loving all the typical backlash going on in this thread. I've never understood the desire to deny the need for an idea like feminism.

I am constantly struggling with judgement towards others and myself in regards to weight. It's probably one of the biggest feminist issues I have problems with, trying to accept myself and other people without connecting their weight to their worth, or mine.
  • abberbabber
    abberbabber Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Feminist here. Just loving all the typical backlash going on in this thread. I've never understood the desire to deny the need for an idea like feminism.

I am constantly struggling with judgement towards others and myself in regards to weight. It's probably one of the biggest feminist issues I have problems with, trying to accept myself and other people without connecting their weight to their worth, or mine.

Backlash?
  • blnorman29
    blnorman29 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Yes, backlash. Someone asks for feminists friends, and people come out of the woodwork to make bad jokes, deny the need for feminism because hey, things are so much better now!, and say it's outdated and all feminists are pretty much man-haters anyway. Ta Da!
  • justaspringhaze
    Options
    I guess I shouldn't be surprised that there would be so many anti-feminist comments here.

I started this thread to meet other like-minded people, not to provide an elementary definition of feminism or to point out why feminism is important. If you don't see the rampant misogyny and hatred of women's bodies and voices, then you're not paying attention. It's that simple.

Feminist/activist energy is a limited resource, and I'm not going to waste mine on feeding the trolls. That said, if anyone is GENUINELY interested in learning more about feminist thought or incorporating feminist values into his/her/hir life, I'm happy to share resources!

To the awesome feminists who have commented on this thread - hello! It's great to see that there are so many of us here :)

(edited to fix spelling)
  • jamonthelam
    jamonthelam Posts: 21
    Options
    if anyone's still looking for feminist/progressive mfp budz i'm a queer, trans-positive feminist o:
  • bilzprincess
    bilzprincess Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Well, honey I'm lousy at commenting on each and every human i friend, but do keep ur eye on the prize. Fat kills. Slowly. Ive lost enough (some here, some prior to joining) to see my cholesterol shock my doc into saying "did I put u on medicine?" I answered nope and he said "what are u doing to get those kind of numbers?" my bp medicine is now on its third reduction, and doc and I are working on eliminating it altogether. Taking care of my health MYSELF is so empowering. It's the definition of all things feminist. This is my body, my responsibility, and strong is Who I Am! Yeah. Being able to dress better and artfully is fun. And its hard to do in a body wrapped in chub first. So I'm enjoying the single digit dressing--art has many mediums and a well-put together outfit is just one of them. No need to wrap that into a man pleasing idea. Take charge of ur life and take charge of ur body and health! How cld men NOT find that appealing? Just a by-product of ur hard work here.

Progressively and ironically, bilzprincess (I'm treated like royalty at home. What's a gal to do?)
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options

Oh...and a definite requirement to have your sense of humor forcibly removed.

What... when... how.... i swear it was in there yesterday...

Well my dear, unless there's a whole other part of your personality I'm totally unaware of...I do believe you're a 'humanist'...not a 'feminist' :).

That means you're allowed to keep your sense of humor...from my understanding.

you know the biggest problem with Cris?? shhhhhhhh I reckon he's really a feminist.... he just lives in denial :flowerforyou:

I absolutely, 100% undeniably am (by YOUR definition). I don't deny it in the least. I love, cherish, respect, and honor all women (except the ones who are rude to me...call me controlling and use my traditional values as edged weapons against me of course...oh...wait, every one of those I've come across are self proclaimed feminists! This is not to say all self proclaimed feminists have done so of course...you are a beautiful example) equally! There isn't anything I wouldn't do to uphold your rights...LONG before my own.

Honestly, I don't get what the big freaking issue is. But there you have it. They come in, use all of these words that NO ONE outside their circle of belief even cares to learn (I've picked up a few tonight...off to research I go), and then look down their noses (or weapons) at all of us who do not share their militant, and/or passive/aggressive value system.

No thanks, if that's being feminist, I'll pass...and just go on being someone who feels all people should be treated as they treat others.
  • CuteAndCurvy83
    CuteAndCurvy83 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Happy Housewife and stay at home mom. I was made to raise babies and make my hubby and sammich..hehe
  • deadbeatsummer
    deadbeatsummer Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I love feminists! No-one does dishes and laundry as well as a feminist!!

NOT FUNNY

If you can't see thae sarcasm and (intended) humour in my post, then I genuinely feel sorry for you.

I think she did, it just wasn't a funny joke. Boring!
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    I love feminists! No-one does dishes and laundry as well as a feminist!!

NOT FUNNY

If you can't see thae sarcasm and (intended) humour in my post, then I genuinely feel sorry for you.

I think she did, it just wasn't a funny joke. Boring!

It was hilarious lol...it even had half the women laughing. Well, the ones not sighting in on that target on his back, lol.
  • led6777
    led6777 Posts: 268
    Options
    <- Gender and sexuality studies grad. Add me!
  • deadbeatsummer
    deadbeatsummer Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I have been thinking the same things since I've been on here too OP, I would love to be a feminist friend of yours. I used to go along to Fem Soc at University :) x
This discussion has been closed.