Looking for Feminist Friends

Options

Replies

• ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    The only thing that is outdated is the control that others have over a woman when she hasn't any options; get her pregnant, and take away her ability to prevent future pregnancies, and you've got a woman under your thumb for life.

Then don't spread your legs. Bam...ball's back in your court. YOU have the control.

I strongly agree with this statement.
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    That's it. I've had enough.

I'm calling the League of Men and having this thread shut down. BTW - that 'site down for maintenance' message from earlier... that was us! :glasses:

Giggidy.

Oh no! Patriarchy rearing it's ugly head again! :laugh: Stop trying to oppress us poor women, you evil men! :laugh:

You might want to look up 'internalized misogyny'.
  • abberbabber
    abberbabber Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    This whole thing makes my head spin :laugh:

As an American woman, I'm not oppressed in the least. Well...I lie. I married a man who met me at my weakest and attempted to pigeonhole me into his idea of what a proper wife should be. But, because I'm an American woman...I have the right to leave him without fear and with plenty of ways to provide for myself.

Is our society perfect? No, but I'm still not sold on the evil patriarchy thing, either.
  • heaterkj
    heaterkj Posts: 5
    Options
    Count me in too! Just finally getting to the point that I call myself a feminist! But I am proud of the label!
  • iceqieen
    iceqieen Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    The only thing that is outdated is the control that others have over a woman when she hasn't any options; get her pregnant, and take away her ability to prevent future pregnancies, and you've got a woman under your thumb for life.

Then don't spread your legs. Bam...ball's back in your court. YOU have the control.

Well we WANT to spread our legs! :P Sex is fun for women too. Its just unfair that the childbearing has to be ours to worry about and not the mans.

Not in the US though - so if I want contraceptive pills or shots, I just go to my GP and tell him/her and it costs about as much as an asprin (last time I checked)
  • ishallnotwant
    Options
    That's it. I've had enough.

I'm calling the League of Men and having this thread shut down. BTW - that 'site down for maintenance' message from earlier... that was us! :glasses:

Giggidy.

Oh no! Patriarchy rearing it's ugly head again! :laugh: Stop trying to oppress us poor women, you evil men! :laugh:

You might want to look up 'internalized misogyny'.

Oh, I don't have time for all that. I'd rather make my husband a nice meal and show him how much I love him...if you need me, i'll be in the kitchen. I rather enjoy being in my own home, serving my family. It's my job.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Geez, lighten up Umeboshi. I get that you are passionate about the topic, but that doesn't mean people are not allowed to attempt to diffuse a tense environment with humour.

I'm a MAN, its my right to do so! :laugh:
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Sorry, either the MFP server crashed, or my internet simply wouldn't allow me to connect.

If you go back through, and read all of these posts made by these self proclaimed feminists...you'll see that my point has been made. The fact that your thread is still in place speaks volumes about the rights you DO have (I stand by my statement that if I had made a post begging for friends of the opposite opinion...it would be shut down NOW...this has happened, a young woman posted a thread seeking the opinion of anti-feminists, and she was straight overrun with feminists bashing her and her ideals...and Miss Umeboshi was a part of it). Note, I didn't say equal rights...because we, as the 'majority'...don't have the right to speak without fear of repercussion.

Again, reread the posts...pretend they're about baseball...or if that's too 'masculine' for you, women's softball...or if that's too 'patriarchal' for you (I mean, we put them out there in those tight pants for a reason, right?), pretend it's about botany. Reread what was written, and you can blatantly see the blind activism, the narrow mindedness, the refusal to accept anothers point of view, in the 'feminist' side of the argument.

Ask any reasonable, modern man or woman (this would be the majority by the way), what a woman's place in soceity is...and though you may get a joke or two, the core answer will be 'any place she wants'. If you people are too narrow minded to figure that out, I'm very sorry for you.

Have a good night.

I love how the fact that we're allowed to speak our minds at all is somehow seen as this magnanimous concession to women's equality.
    The 'joke or two' is misogyny. The fact that women are allowed outside the kitchen and to work does not negate the various other ways women are oppressed.
    Educate yourself.

I'm far beyond educated little girl. A joke, is a joke. Just because you can't handle it doesn't mean it's a negative. Grow up, and stop pushing your ideals on others.

You didn't acknowledge your part in getting the other young ladies thread shut down, either...nicely played. She asked specifically for anti-feminist opinions...yet you felt the need to stick your nose in and BASH...not disagree, straight out insult and belittle her as well.

Also...the day you realize that the fact that you ARE allowed to speak your mind, and I am NOT allowed to speak mine without fear of being labled and belittled, is the first step you'll make towards having an opinion worth hearing.

Educate yourself.
  • ishallnotwant
    Options
    Geez, lighten up Umeboshi. I get that you are passionate about the topic, but that doesn't mean people are not allowed to attempt to diffuse a tense environment with humour.

Would you like a sammich? :laugh:
  • abberbabber
    Options
    Mmmmm....sammiches.....
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options

I'd love one, thanks. Although I am quite capable of making my pwn thankyou... and am happy to make you one while I am in the kitchen...

of course feel free to mow the lawn and take out the trash for me :)
  • focus4fitness
    focus4fitness Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Sorry, either the MFP server crashed, or my internet simply wouldn't allow me to connect.

If you go back through, and read all of these posts made by these self proclaimed feminists...you'll see that my point has been made. The fact that your thread is still in place speaks volumes about the rights you DO have (I stand by my statement that if I had made a post begging for friends of the opposite opinion...it would be shut down NOW...this has happened, a young woman posted a thread seeking the opinion of anti-feminists, and she was straight overrun with feminists bashing her and her ideals...and Miss Umeboshi was a part of it). Note, I didn't say equal rights...because we, as the 'majority'...don't have the right to speak without fear of repercussion.

Again, reread the posts...pretend they're about baseball...or if that's too 'masculine' for you, women's softball...or if that's too 'patriarchal' for you (I mean, we put them out there in those tight pants for a reason, right?), pretend it's about botany. Reread what was written, and you can blatantly see the blind activism, the narrow mindedness, the refusal to accept anothers point of view, in the 'feminist' side of the argument.

Ask any reasonable, modern man or woman (this would be the majority by the way), what a woman's place in soceity is...and though you may get a joke or two, the core answer will be 'any place she wants'. If you people are too narrow minded to figure that out, I'm very sorry for you.

Have a good night.

I love how the fact that we're allowed to speak our minds at all is somehow seen as this magnanimous concession to women's equality.
    The 'joke or two' is misogyny. The fact that women are allowed outside the kitchen and to work does not negate the various other ways women are oppressed.
    Educate yourself.

I'm far beyond educated little girl. A joke, is a joke. Just because you can't handle it doesn't mean it's a negative. Grow up, and stop pushing your ideals on others.

You didn't acknowledge your part in getting the other young ladies thread shut down, either...nicely played. She asked specifically for anti-feminist opinions...yet you felt the need to stick your nose in and BASH...not disagree, straight out insult and belittle her as well.

Also...the day you realize that the fact that you ARE allowed to speak your mind, and I am NOT allowed to speak mine without fear of being labled and belittled, is the first step you'll make towards having an opinion worth hearing.

Educate yourself.

Grow up, and stop pushing your ideals on others.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options

I strongly agree with this statement.

So men can enjoy the sex, since they can't physically get pregnant, but women can't, because they can only do it for procreational purposes. BUT the women are so much more superior, because hey, out of their lack of enjoyment comes the power to not get pregnant.

That seems fair. I'm sure that works out really well for married couples living together who want to have sex more than a few times their entire marriage.
  • ishallnotwant
    Options
    Mmmmm....sammiches.....

I have plenty to go 'round...I just hope the darned chain that attaches me to my stove is long enough to reach so I can pass you one... :tongue:
  • Umeboshi
    Options

Have a good night.

Educate yourself.

Educate yourself.

A joke isn't just a joke if it's oppressive and harmful.

I have no idea what thread you're talking about, as I've never outright attacked anyone on here.

You are labeling and belittling and being condescending towards me for speaking my mind, so don't act like there's some huge unfair bias here.
    And again, the fact that I'm so graciously 'allowed' to speak my mind does not negate the huge amounts of oppression women face.

When I say educate yourself, I mean do some reading and find out what feminism is really about and read about the very real oppression women still face, instead of hiding in your little male privilege bubble.
  • TiffanyDeanee
    TiffanyDeanee Posts: 158
    Options

or

Call me silly but is a sammich and a sandwich the same thing? When ppl offer sammiches or Mmmmm them, I'm completely lost. So what is a sammich?
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Man. I have a husband who I adore, respect, and defer to... and I'm a housewife. I don't take out my trash because it's gross and totally his job. I also cook, clean, bake bread, make lavish meals, ferment things, and I would love to make soaps and candles and go back 200 years ago and kick *kitten*.

...but I'm still a feminist. If a woman chooses to be unlike me, shave her head, wear men's clothing, not wax her mustache, she's not going to have as easy of a time in life as I am. In plenty of other countries, if a woman chooses to have a mouth like I do- she gets stoned. That's why.. both problems suck and both can only be fixed by people who are actively aware of these issues... with the first, change starts by raising children who aren't judgmental and who have freedom of expression.

:(
  • ishallnotwant
    Options

I'd love one, thanks. Although I am quite capable of making my pwn thankyou... and am happy to make you one while I am in the kitchen...

of course feel free to mow the lawn and take out the trash for me :)

Now, now, everybody knows taking out the trash is clearly men's work-maybe you men should start a movement for equality in household chores...:laugh:
  • Umeboshi
    Options
    Man. I have a husband who I adore, respect, and defer to... and I'm a housewife. I don't take out my trash because it's gross and totally his job. I also cook, clean, bake bread, make lavish meals, ferment things, and I would love to make soaps and candles and go back 200 years ago and kick *kitten*.

...but I'm still a feminist. If a woman chooses to be unlike me, shave her head, wear men's clothing, not wax her mustache, she's not going to have as easy of a time in life as I am. In plenty of other countries, if a woman chooses to have a mouth like I do- she gets stoned. That's why.. both problems suck and both can only be fixed by people who are actively aware of these issues... with the first, change starts by raising children who aren't judgmental and who have freedom of expression.

:(
    Yes.
  • abberbabber
    Options
    Mmmmm....sammiches.....

I have plenty to go 'round...I just hope the darned chain that attaches me to my stove is long enough to reach so I can pass you one... :tongue:

I'm a wimminz, so I'll just join you in the kitchen. I'm not much of a cook, but I can wash dishes :laugh:
This discussion has been closed.