Meat eating vs. Vegan debate

Options

Replies

• Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    I love meat too much to refrain from eating it. I don't care if anyone else chooses not to eat meat, that is their personal decision.
  • Phrak
    Phrak Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    If humans weren't designed to eat meat and digest it, then care to explain the Paleolithic era? I don't know about you, but I don't remember reading many cavemen that didn't eat meat.

Not going to start an argument with anyone as I completely respect vegans and vegetarians IF they are doing it for the right reasons.

If you're a vegan or a vegetarian that is doing it cause you think it's "healthier" not to eat meat products...well then I have news for you that might hurt your feelings. =)

You could also say, modern humans arnt designed to digest leafy greens. We lack a certain functioning organ to digest them. The appendix used to be much larger, like the one found in gorillas/apes, and now is just evolutionary baggage.
  • ItsMandeeBitch
    ItsMandeeBitch Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    The biggest thing about being a vegan is balancing your protein content. Most non-meat sources of protein are an incomplete protein, however this can be balanced by selecting a variety of vegetable sources that compliment each other. With this in mind, also take a dietary supplement as vitamins like B12 I believe can only be obtained from meat sources or a supplement. Oh - I am not a vegan :smile:

One complete source of vegan protein that I read about is hemp protein, but this contains a far amount of carbohydrate. Sorry, buying this in the health food store will give you the same effects as what some people smoke.

For what is worth, this subject can be objectively answered by science so there is really no reason for a debate. I hope this is helpful to you.:wink:

Yeah, any scientific evidence is greatly appreciated here! I'd just like to hear what others have found! I heard about having to select a range of plant foods to get the full benefit of some macronutrients that we get from meat.
    The only problem with science, I find, is that you can come across research that says one thing and then get something else that disproves it! It's all very circular.

What science do you need?

Complete proteins contain all the essential amino acids that the body can't produce on it's own.

Incomplete proteins (plant proteins) do not and lack one or more of the 9 essentials.
  • hallie_b
    hallie_b Posts: 181
    Options
    I'm vegan, both for ethical reasons as well as health reasons. This lifestyle choice is something I made personally and I do not expect others to necessarily make the same choice themselves, and that's fine.

My issue comes with the CONSTANT (and I do mean constant) commentary on my diet. I am the last person you'll find to deny that there are some very pushy veg*ns out there, but if I am out for friends, rarely a meal passes where someone does not feel the need to make a comment on my plate. They are not always rude comments, but they are always laced with the implication that what I am doing is "crazy" or "weird."

I have personally done a lot of research on my diet. I've read a lot of sources both for an against veg*nism and have reached my own conclusion. Contrary to what the public believes, I do not feel the need to "convert" every omni I meet. My only wish is that I could order my animal-product free lunch just once without someone making a comment about it. I will gladly explain, really! I'm happy to tell you how I reached the particular conclusion that I did, but labelling me as preachy when I'm responding (rather kindly, most of the time) to japes like "well, um, cavemen ate meat! Look, we have canines!" in a sarcastic tone is a little ridiculous.

I had to add- I get the opposite reaction when ordering food. I wish people did not treat me like I am some kind of judgemental b***h or stuck up just because I ordered something sans bacon. If an pushy person gave you crap about your meat eating, I'm sorry. I'm not that person, please don't treat me like it.
  • BrokenButterfly
    Options
    If humans weren't designed to eat meat and digest it, then care to explain the Paleolithic era? I don't know about you, but I don't remember reading many cavemen that didn't eat meat.

Not going to start an argument with anyone as I completely respect vegans and vegetarians IF they are doing it for the right reasons.

If you're a vegan or a vegetarian that is doing it cause you think it's "healthier" not to eat meat products...well then I have news for you that might hurt your feelings. =)

You could also say, modern humans arnt designed to digest leafy greens. We lack a certain functioning organ to digest them. The appendix used to be much larger, like the one found in gorillas/apes, and now is just evolutionary baggage.

Just like the whales pelvis!
  • luckylou19
    luckylou19 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    If the science is of question, talk to a registered dietician not a doctor. Doctors do not have the same level of education, training and experience as does a registered dietician. Notice the good hospitals have dietitians on staff - this is why. It is difficult for a lay person to fully interpret the science, especially when there is apparent conflicting information. But as a dietician, they have the skill to judge the credibility of these studies. I am not a dietician, but am working with one. Oh one more point in that dietitians are paid more closely to what school teachers are paid so they are in this for the love of their field not to get rich. Again, hope this is of help.
  • luckylou19
    luckylou19 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    The essential amino acids is basic stuff but to objectively to answer further science questions it gets deep quickly. I have a background in food chemistry and had classes with the nutrition students hence why I have such a healthy respect for their insights.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    The essential amino acids is basic stuff but to objectively to answer further science questions it gets deep quickly. I have a background in food chemistry and had classes with the nutrition students hence why I have such a healthy respect for their insights.

My friend you don't need to keep telling us your resume. ;-)

Enlighten us.
  • TheWinman
    TheWinman Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan, both for ethical reasons as well as health reasons. This lifestyle choice is something I made personally and I do not expect others to necessarily make the same choice themselves, and that's fine.

My issue comes with the CONSTANT (and I do mean constant) commentary on my diet. I am the last person you'll find to deny that there are some very pushy veg*ns out there, but if I am out for friends, rarely a meal passes where someone does not feel the need to make a comment on my plate. They are not always rude comments, but they are always laced with the implication that what I am doing is "crazy" or "weird."

I have personally done a lot of research on my diet. I've read a lot of sources both for an against veg*nism and have reached my own conclusion. Contrary to what the public believes, I do not feel the need to "convert" every omni I meet. My only wish is that I could order my animal-product free lunch just once without someone making a comment about it. I will gladly explain, really! I'm happy to tell you how I reached the particular conclusion that I did, but labelling me as preachy when I'm responding (rather kindly, most of the time) to japes like "well, um, cavemen ate meat! Look, we have canines!" in a sarcastic tone is a little ridiculous.

I don't want to sound mean because I don't know you or your friends, but maybe you need to rethink some of those friendships. Good friends support your choices even if they don't really agree with them. It's one thing to make a joking comment, but to make rude comments is not acceptable.

I don't care either way, people can choose how they want to eat. :)
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    The biggest thing about being a vegan is balancing your protein content. Most non-meat sources of protein are an incomplete protein, however this can be balanced by selecting a variety of vegetable sources that compliment each other. With this in mind, also take a dietary supplement as vitamins like B12 I believe can only be obtained from meat sources or a supplement. Oh - I am not a vegan :smile:

One complete source of vegan protein that I read about is hemp protein, but this contains a far amount of carbohydrate. Sorry, buying this in the health food store will give you the same effects as what some people smoke.

For what is worth, this subject can be objectively answered by science so there is really no reason for a debate. I hope this is helpful to you.:wink:

Yeah, any scientific evidence is greatly appreciated here! I'd just like to hear what others have found! I heard about having to select a range of plant foods to get the full benefit of some macronutrients that we get from meat.
    The only problem with science, I find, is that you can come across research that says one thing and then get something else that disproves it! It's all very circular.
    The basic problem with science is in the type of studies which generally are ecologic studies comparing food consumption data and disease rates....basically these are correlation studies that are fraught with inconsistancy and much of these studies are financed to find correlations which as we know can be shown to be just about anything, both sides lose.

When I was looking over longevity studies (centenarians), which are many btw, it became apparent that diet was only a small part of why these people lived that long. The diets were diverse, none were totally vegan, which was interesting, but again vegan hasn't been around very long, so it's hard to judge consistanly. Other studies show that it might not be a good idea to rear infants on a vegan diet, and other studies comaring, again ecological studies, show that ovo lacto vegetarians and pescatarian lifestyles to best vegan diets.....the two former diets are not or should not be considered vegetarian, of course this is only my opinion and to me a vegan diet is the only diet that should be classified as vegetarian, and yes I use to be one many moons ago.
  • Elliemage
    Elliemage Posts: 25
    Options

I had to add- I get the opposite reaction when ordering food. I wish people did not treat me like I am some kind of judgemental b***h or stuck up just because I ordered something sans bacon. If an pushy person gave you crap about your meat eating, I'm sorry. I'm not that person, please don't treat me like it.

Sorry if you took it that way, but I'm not implying that I treat anyone like they're "that person." I'm just relating my experiences. I generally try NOT to talk about the way that I eat to people without them asking first and as I know how it feels, I generally don't comment on other peoples' food choices at all.
  • BrokenButterfly
    Options

My friend you don't need to keep telling us your resume. ;-)

Enlighten us.

Please do!
  • VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I'll just say without meat eating and cooking, humans wouldn't be the humans they are today. We'd resemble something that looks more like a tree sloth, have little brain capacity, etc.

Only technology has made it possible to go against what would be natural for humans
  • BrokenButterfly
    Options

The basic problem with science is in the type of studies which generally are ecologic studies comparing food consumption data and disease rates....basically these are correlation studies that are fraught with inconsistancy and much of these studies are financed to find correlations which as we know can be shown to be just about anything, both sides lose.

When I was looking over longevity studies (centenarians), which are many btw, it became apparent that diet was only a small part of why these people lived that long. The diets were diverse, none were totally vegan, which was interesting, but again vegan hasn't been around very long, so it's hard to judge consistanly. Other studies show that it might not be a good idea to rear infants on a vegan diet, and other studies comaring, again ecological studies, show that ovo lacto vegetarians and pescatarian lifestyles to best vegan diets.....the two former diets are not or should not be considered vegetarian, of course this is only my opinion and to me a vegan diet is the only diet that should be classified as vegetarian, and yes I use to be one many moons ago.

The centenarians studies sounds interesting. I suppose it's going to be a while until we can really see the benefits of being a vegan or if there are benefits over eating meat. Even if there are correlations in favour of vegans, we don't know how much of that is due to other variables in their lives.
  • BrokenButterfly
    Options
    Another thing I thought about was, what would happen if in the future everyone DID stop eating meat and animal products? Baring in mind something like 95-99% of the population eat animal produce, with an ever-expanding human population, where on earth would we find the room to cultivate and grow so much food?!
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    Bacon, brisket and venison. And bacon.
  • BrokenButterfly
    Options
    Not tried brisket or venison! My life feels incomplete :(
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    Not tried brisket or venison! My life feels incomplete :(

I wish I had better news for you, but, well ... it is.
  • khagador
    khagador Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan and I've had this debate far too many times with my boyfriend's family. Even criticized pretty much every holiday dinner and they never make anything even remotely vegan, it's like they do it on purpose just to be inhospitable. However, I've grown accustomed to it and defer any questions because I'm sick of discussing it. I've always had a to-each-their-own philosphy about pretty much everything in life. Everything is a choice.

The one thing I truly don't understand and find absolutely disgusting is wearing fur and leather. I understand the durability of leather and the warmth of fur, but there are synthetic materials out there that do the same. Also, people don't realize that leather is not a by-product of the meat industry but actually it's own industry. I'm not someone that would go up to a stranger and start berating them, but I don't think it's right at all.