Did not ask for criticism

Options
12345679»

Replies

• Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    I'm truly ashamed for some of you and the responses you've made. Can you not disagree with someone without being so snarky? How is being like that helpful in any manner? Does it help boost your own ego to ridicule others? You must be so proud of yourselves. Unreal.....

aaaa-Oh-You-Mad.jpg
  • tina9988
    tina9988 Posts: 369
    Options
    I like the wizard of oz....I like the tin man!
  • opus649
    opus649 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Yeah. I think quibbling about it was just nitpickyness for the sake of being nitpicky.

My BMI was once 30. I didn't appreciate being referred to as "morbidly obese."

So was mine. But I don't jump to conclusions about what other people are saying.

I'm sorry, I guess I'm not as good of a person as you. Then again, I did apologize.... but you're just still piling on.
  • opus649
    Options
    The only person making the assumption that one was tied to the other was you.

Which I apologized for. I'm not sure how else to make you feel better about it. Want to call me champ again? Would that help?
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    The only person making the assumption that one was tied to the other was you.

Which I apologized for. I'm not sure how else to make you feel better about it. Want to call me champ again? Would that help?
    Our comment streams crossed. No worries. :drinker:
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Dissolution of soft tissue and skeletal mass are not ill effects?

The study said, "These increases may be due to dissolution of excessive soft tissue and skeletal mass."

I think the key word is "excessive." So I guess the answer to your question is "no, not when they are excessive soft tissue and skeletal mass."

Can you explain what it would mean to have "excessive skeletal mass"? Does it mean my bones are too strong?
  • chamberlain037
    Options
    hey there, I saw that you posted your mother had a gastric bypass...I'm heading out for my gastric bypass on June 6...I'm scared to death...my doc has me on a 600 calorie diet a day for 2 weeks and it's killing me....how well did she do? did she have a hard time before and after? Hope to hear from you soon....
  • opus649
    Options

The study said, "These increases may be due to dissolution of excessive soft tissue and skeletal mass."

I think the key word is "excessive." So I guess the answer to your question is "no, not when they are excessive soft tissue and skeletal mass."

Can you explain what it would mean to have "excessive skeletal mass"? Does it mean my bones are too strong?

You would probably have to ask the scientists who wrote the paper....
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Yeah. I think quibbling about it was just nitpickyness for the sake of being nitpicky.

My BMI was once 30. I didn't appreciate being referred to as "morbidly obese."

So was mine. But I don't jump to conclusions about what other people are saying.

I'm sorry, I guess I'm not as good of a person as you. Then again, I did apologize.... but you're just still piling on.

Maybe if the boards automatically refreshed there wouldn't be a lag. Sorry for the delay in replying to your reply to my comment.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I'm truly ashamed for some of you and the responses you've made. Can you not disagree with someone without being so snarky? How is being like that helpful in any manner? Does it help boost your own ego to ridicule others? You must be so proud of yourselves. Unreal.....

"Quote button"

A handy tool that allows for proper context.
  • GasMasterFlash
    Options
    Could being "big-boned" actually be possible?! :laugh:
  • opus649
    Options

Ok, in the text of the paper is the following:

"It has been shown (Naeye, 1969) that hyperplasia and hypertrophy, not only of adipose tissue, but also of heart, kidneys, pancreas, liver, and spleen occurs in obese subjects. It is suggested that the increased excretions described may have originated in dissolution of this soft tissue and associated skeletal excess."

In other words, obese people see an *increase* in skeletal mass and organ size that is associated with their obesity. I believe the researchers are making the case that, as adipose tissue decreases, the associated increases to skeletal and organ mass becomes "excessive" and as such also shrinks. At least that's how I read it.
  • GasMasterFlash
    Options
    Ok, in the text of the paper is the following:

"It has been shown (Naeye, 1969) that hyperplasia and hypertrophy, not only of adipose tissue, but also of heart, kidneys, pancreas, liver, and spleen occurs in obese subjects. It is suggested that the increased excretions described may have originated in dissolution of this soft tissue and associated skeletal excess."

In other words, obese people see an *increase* in skeletal mass and organ size that is associated with their obesity. I believe the researchers are making the case that, as adipose tissue decreases, the associated increases to skeletal and organ mass becomes "excessive" and as such also shrinks. At least that's how I read it.
    Interesting.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    eating so few calories (600-800) is damaging to your body. This isn't a criticism its a scientific fact. The damage will cause your brain to release more endorphin to compensate and dull the pain. There is only so much endorphin you can release before it starts to run out and when it does you will feel techy, angry, got at and critisised - you may also behave like this to other people. Again I'm not having a go I'm just telling you the science behind what you are doing I would not be a decent human being if I didn't pass on this information I know. If you want any references to scientific papers to show the absolute truth behind what I am saying I will do what I can to did some out for you. - please let me know. Good luck and take care of yourself.
  • Way_2_a_Healthy_Mel
    Way_2_a_Healthy_Mel Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I'll bite..... and even those of us that was off the chart for the BMI (which I was BMI was once 74.8) from day 1 working with a Nutritionist and my Family Doctor (and Endo Dr. for my type 2 Diabetes) never once was there any discussion of putting me on a Very Low Calorie Diet. The game plan was to eat enough to support a 1 to 2 lb. a week weight loss and after 4 weeks of adjusting my calorie intake and carb counting we settled in on 2500 calories a day and 240 grams of carbs a day... After average 102 lbs. weightloss the past 3 years (3 year anniversary in 3 weeks) I am now eating 3200 calories a day and 340 grams of carbs and still losing weight.... I could not comprehend eating so very little............ and I agree with other, this is a public forum and if you don't want to be criticized then don't post..... I don't think people are being mean, they are just concerned..... Best of Luck

You are my hero!
  • Excellentia
    Excellentia Posts: 182
    Options
    I don't think people were intentionally trying to be critical or judgemental. I haven't read the comments and I know we aren't friends, but from what I've found on this site, most people are genuinely concerned and simply don't want to see you sabatoge either your health or weight loss.

Feel free to add me if you want...
  • kylesmommy89
    kylesmommy89 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Yikes! Have fun with that!!
  • opus649
    Options
    On a side note, the text of the paper also contains the following:

"We have found, like Munro and colleagues (1970), that prolonged supervised therapeutic starvation of the obese patient can be a safe therapy, which is also effective if the ideal weight is reached. There is, however, likely to be occasionally a risk in some individuals, attributable to failures in different aspects of the adaptive response to fasting. Until the characteristics of these variations in response are identified, and show to be capable of detection in their prodomal stages, extended starvation therapy must be used cautiously."

In other words, starvation diets under the supervision of a doctor can be safe... but they can also kill you... so... you know... be careful.
  • Josh
    Josh Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for the locking of this thread.

The forum guidelines include this item:
    3. No Promotion of Unsafe Weight-Loss Techniques or Eating Disorders

a) Posts intended to promote potentially unsafe or controversial weight loss products or procedures, including non-medically prescribed supplements or MLM products will be removed without warning.
    b) Profiles, groups, messages, posts, or wall comments that encourage anorexia, bulimia, or very low calorie diets of any kind will be removed, and may be grounds for account deletion. This includes positive references to ana/mia, purging, or self-starving. Our goal is to provide users with the tools to achieve their weight management goals at a steady, sustainable rate. Use of the site to promote or glamorize dangerously low levels of eating is not permitted.
    c) Photos intended to glamorize extreme thinness will be deleted.
    d) Those seeking support in their recovery from eating disorders are welcome at MyFitnessPal.
    6. No Intentionally Hurtful Topics

Topics which are started with the intent to belittle others, either directly named or through enough descriptive commentary to be possibly identified, are prohibited. This includes stalking a poster through the forums, posting about past events gone sour, divulging personal information, or spreading gossip or rumors. At our discretion, any post referring to the behavior or posts of other users of the site will be removed.

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

At our discretion, this locked thread may be deleted entirely in the near future.

With respect,
    Fish
    MyFitnessPal Forum Staff
This discussion has been closed.