Options
    "You don't look like you've had kids!"
    "You are perfect the way you are"

:explode:
  • jem33199
    jem33199 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    "The Harder I Work, the Luckier I Get" - Samuel Goldwyn

The last time I lost weight I let the repeated, "You look SO much better." comment really, really bother me. This time, I'm trying to focus on the intention behind the compliment. If they are stumbling yet genuine, I thank them. I am in this to become healthier every day, not to impress anyone else.

I've also heard the, "You're wasting away.", "You look SO different." etc. Lately I've had a a few people ask me for advice and then fade away and become distracted when I tell them, "Exercise, drink lots of water, eat nutrient-dense foods and log my food." I think they were hoping for an easier answer. :)
    As long as it's meant to be a compliment, I tend not to mind. It's the compliments veiled in sarcasm or jealousy that I cannot forgive. If you can't be supportive of my efforts, don't say anything at all.

But just to put something specific out there, I have a comment - which is not complimentary - that I cannot effing stand to hear. It's when someone says, "You're so lucky you've been able to lose weight." I'm lucky? Does running 15-30 miles per week, going to Curves 5-6 times per week, doing the JM 30 Day Shred video 6-7 days per week and counting every calorie I eat sound like "luck" to you? I'd say it sounds more like hard work and dedication, but I'm not here to pat my own back - more like to kick my own a**! I guess the lucky part is that I don't mind the work - I actually like it, but everyone on here knows we didn't start out loving it. It took some positive results and some kicka** endorphins to realize it's also kind of fun.
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    I loved this one....My granddaughters teacher came to me and said....you have lost a lot of weight....did you mean to?? What the hell does that mean?? Yes I have been working at it. I don't look to skinny, just thinner!! I went from 232 pounds to 134
  • LauraSmyth28
    LauraSmyth28 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    mine was "you dont look too bad considering youve had a child..."

I was told by an old friend who hadn't seen me for years "you look well for someone with two kids". I told him "I want to look well, full stop". That was before I started losing weight though.

An ex-colleague hadn't seen me since before I got pregnant with my second and when she did we were in a packed nightclub. She walked right up to me, put a hand on either side of my face and said "you got so fat". She's from a country where the women HAVE to be skinny and she eats one meal a day, but I still wanted to slap her.

It was my birthday too. :sad:
  • Sunscreenandsweat
    Sunscreenandsweat Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    "You look so great now"
  • LauraSmyth28
    LauraSmyth28 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    From a friend of mine after I had lost 50 pounds : " You look great....but it's so easy for you to lose weight." Huh ? It was easy for me to gain weight ...not to lose it !!!!! LOL

My best friend says this all the time "you find it so easy to lose weight". No, I don't! I find it extremely hard, I just do it anyway!
  • wendyjo3
    wendyjo3 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    get off me i cant breath

Favorite!
  • hallie_b
    hallie_b Posts: 181
    Options
    "You look good, I wish I could afford to spend that much time at the gym." Like I negected all resposiblity and spent all my time and hubby's money at the gym... get real, I spend his money other places haha j/k.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    "I love your eyes" "you have a pretty face"...

It just doesnt 'do' it for me and tends to get on my nerves because it makes me feel like that is the only thing beautiful about me...
  • nordina
    nordina Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    omg had a few laughs and probably heard many of those already posted...I am always surprised by.."you look great, how did you loose all that weight"....... ,my reply..."it's a huge secret, ok i'll tell you DIET AND EXERCISE!!!!HARD WORK" Then i smile!
  • DrJackson6
    DrJackson6 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I can't wait to get annoyed with compliments. :bigsmile:

Hasn't happened yet. :ohwell:

I know you all have worked hard for it. :drinker:

Maybe someday for me?:blushing:

Same here, I look forward to annoying compliments.
  • eal12_00
    eal12_00 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    mine is :" u r wasting away stop losing.." Really people i am not wasting away lol
    the other is "how do u plan to stay that way" come on people i have done this for an entire year of exercising and changing the way i eat i pray everyday i keep it going.

My favorite is" i did not think you were gonna stick with it" my reply THANKS and KMA lol
  • eal12_00
    eal12_00 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    this is my most annoying compliment..Really people i just want to tell them to get off their A%% and lose weight....and kiss mine good by lol
  • SaraADaigle
    SaraADaigle Posts: 51
    Options
    What kills me the most about these "compliments" is that I see most of them as a passive agressive attack on someone out of jealousy or worse, envy. I get these a lot ... I used to be 210 lbs and I lost 50 lbs already and the more I loose the more "wasted away I get" or the more "sick I look" ..... I try hard just to pray for those that can't control their tongue ... :) haha... and I say back usually "by American standards, I do look wasted away because the majority of the population is either over weight or obese." They usually leave me alone at that point ....
  • Chameleone
    Chameleone Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    "You got small!....you're boobs are gone!"

Because that's what everyone girl wants to hear. It's not like I lost weight around my stomach, thighs or arms...ALL 20 something pounds fell right off my boobs!
  • SaraADaigle
    Options
    well that is a pretty crappy compliment ....
  • SaraADaigle
    Options
    From a friend of mine after I had lost 50 pounds : " You look great....but it's so easy for you to lose weight." Huh ? It was easy for me to gain weight ...not to lose it !!!!! LOL

O...M...G..... I really hate this .... Yes is was soooooo freakin easy .... No it wasn't easy... it was a lot of hard work .... nothing tastes as good as skinny feels .... maybe you should tell that person that ...
  • KatFierce
    KatFierce Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    mine was "you dont look too bad considering youve had a child..."
    YES THIS!!!! I always get"you look good for having two kids" WTF?? SO basically I look like crap, thanks
  • LindaCWy
    LindaCWy Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    My MIL was staring at me then said "wow you really have lost alot of weight and (Husband) is right, your boobs are gone"..

I don't remember what I threw at my husband when she said that but all I heard him say was "Ah S*it!"
  • Chameleone
    Chameleone Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    A week after easter my mom told me that my uncle called and asked if I had been sick. He said I had a nice sturdy body before and now I looked like I had been sick....My mom said no, you know these girls just don't want to be fat...

I had only lost 15 pounds at this point and was still about 10 away from my goal...