The most annoying 'compliment'?

Options

Replies

• rwindover
    rwindover Posts: 20
    Options
    That along with, you're so skinny! You don't need to lose any more weight. Yes, I do. I haven't even reached my healthy BMI yet. And any compliment which is followed by their excuses as to why they cannot eat healthy or exercise.

This comment really gets under my skin and really makes me feel guilty for feeling really great about what I have accomplished. I may be oversensitive, but this feels like a backhanded compliment and leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Keep up the good work!!!!
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Also, once they find out my age and that I've had kids, they say, "oh, you look good for being a mom and for being (insert age)..." Um, thanks??:angry:

UGH yes! I hate that! Why can't they just leave it at "You look good"??

Yeah - makes me wonder what the heck they would say if I were younger and childless. Hmmm....:tongue:
  • Fit_Forever25
    Fit_Forever25 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    " you are now size 0" -> really annoying coz I am not even close to that

"You look like African malnutrition kids " -> pisses me off O.o
  • Lady_Bane
    Lady_Bane Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    When people see my wedding photos or my drivers license: "You were so pretty"...
    I love the unintended past tense.
  • vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    When we went out for dinner with work once (this is long after I reached my goal) and I got up to go to the washroom before our meals came and one of my co-workers said "oh she's going for a quick run to burn off calories before dinner!". Like I'm some eating disorder riddled person.

A compliment that I am in shape and take care of myself, but it felt like a shot.
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Yes, telling someone they have lost weight is not necessarily a compliment unless you know they have been working to lose some weight in a healthy way. If you don't know, then I wouldn't say "oh youve lost weight, you look great!" They might be sick, you don't know. I think the best way to compliment someone is to say maybe.... "have you been working out? you look good" or you know, something along that line. Or a simple, "you look great"!
  • Susabelle64
    Susabelle64 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Well you may be fat but your face ain't too lined, but then wrinkles don't show on a balloon do they?? I was speechless!!

OMG are you freaking kidding me? No court of law in the south would have convicted you, this person qualifies for the "because he needed killin'" defense!!
  • lilcupcake213
    lilcupcake213 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    mine was "you dont look too bad considering youve had a child..."

THIS !! I get that all the time .. "wow, you look good for having 3 kids" ...or "you look good for a mom". How about just .."you look great" ?
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    When we went out for dinner with work once (this is long after I reached my goal) and I got up to go to the washroom before our meals came and one of my co-workers said "oh she's going for a quick run to burn off calories before dinner!". Like I'm some eating disorder riddled person.

A compliment that I am in shape and take care of myself, but it felt like a shot.

That's terrible, how insensitive!!! haters, haha
  • SandysNewLife
    SandysNewLife Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    From a friend of mine

You are looking better ! How much have you lost ? How much did you weigh before? Are you a size 12 yet ? (no, I sure am not) tell me when you are a size 12 cuz that is my size. Whats your goal ? When will you get there ? You can still eat cake cant you ???
  • Nicoleo1
    Nicoleo1 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    "OMG! Are you sick?"
  • Curvy1taliana
    Curvy1taliana Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    "You're getting too skinny... you don't need to lose anymore... do you want to be a skeleton?" (still technically "obese" per BMI for 1 more point - just carry my weight well!!)

"Your face is getting so thin" (as if I lost all 85 lbs in my face)

"Your belly went down alot" (oh, gee, thanks!)
  • Newfunlander
    Newfunlander Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    From a friend of mine after I had lost 50 pounds : " You look great....but it's so easy for you to lose weight." Huh ? It was easy for me to gain weight ...not to lose it !!!!! LOL
  • 1SAB31
    1SAB31 Posts: 2
    Options
    lol !!im using that one for sure!!
  • zonah
    zonah Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    get off me i cant breath

Very funny!!!
  • Curvy1taliana
    Curvy1taliana Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    and one more:

"that's great, I hope you can keep it off!"

thanks for the vote of confidence!!!:mad:
  • MissSpuggz
    MissSpuggz Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    My mum always says. "If you get any slimmer you'll fall down a drain!" Um...cheers?

She seems to think it's a compliment but it sounds like I'm stupidly thin which I'm not!
  • lanfred01
    lanfred01 Posts: 17
    Options
    * "You're a nice size now, you should stop".
    *Wow, you look good, now you're growing up.
    *I can really tell in your face.
    *You weren't fat before but now you look really good.
    *I guess I didn't realize how fat you were.
    *You're boring on a diet.
    *So what size are you trying to get to (said in front of all of my co-workers by some woman)
    *How much do you weigh now? (Then they try to guess)
    *You're so skinny. (um....nope. I ain't)
    *Wow, you don't even need to wear spanx anymore. (1. I will always wear spanx 2. co-worker said this while patting my belly at work).
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I just wondered if anybody else had some really annoying 'compliments' that they get from people after some weight loss.

My favourite is 'you're wasting away!' - no. I'm clearly not, am I? I don't know why, but this one really annoys me.

The whole "You don't need to lose anymore weight" one.

Yes, I do.
  • Caiii
    Caiii Posts: 27
    Options
    My English teacher in high school is a 40 something year old man, and doesn't know when to shut his mouth. For 2-3 months when I was steadily losing weight, he would comment every time I saw him. "My GOD you've lost weight! How much now? 10? 15?" or "More? You've lost MORE weight?!" It was getting ridiculous because it obviously made me really uncomfortable. -_- I'm just a teenager, and he's a teacher--it was totally unprofessional.