for all the hopefull "wanna be" runners out there - trying t

Options

Replies

• strawberrigyrl
    Options
    I'm in too! I am encouraged by this post as I have just began running again, from my on and off attempts. I pushed myself to run for a certain amount of time and actually ran longer. I feel great. Motivated and looking forward to my next run.:happy:
  • nicolee516
    nicolee516 Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I'm in too! I am encouraged by this post as I have just began running again, from my on and off attempts. I pushed myself to run for a certain amount of time and actually ran longer. I feel great. Motivated and looking forward to my next run.:happy:

cool! me too! what distances are you running right now? what days of the week are you running?:smile:
  • JPriceGA
    JPriceGA Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Ok, foiled by rain again this morning. So, tomorrow, it's run come heck or high water - I might have to learn to run in the rain. I registered for Saturday's race today, and on the website where I registered there was a discussion about running in the rain... apparently, I won't melt.
  • Gogo
    Gogo Posts: 9,942 Member
    Options
    Yay me!! I ran 1.5 miles on the treadmill last night!! It took me 22 mins:grumble: but hey, I'll did it!

I think I need new running shoes.....mine are dead.
  • vdpal
    vdpal Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I am a little late, but I would like to join this group. I keep saying I need to get out there and start running more, but I find every excuse in the book as to why I can't today.
    I need this motivation to get me going. I used to run at a 6.7 pace for 3 miles, now I am doing good to run 2 miles at a 6.0 pace. I hope to run for longer periods of time at a faster pace, maybe this thread will help me get there.
    Thanks!
  • nicolee516
    Options
    Ok, foiled by rain again this morning. So, tomorrow, it's run come heck or high water - I might have to learn to run in the rain. I registered for Saturday's race today, and on the website where I registered there was a discussion about running in the rain... apparently, I won't melt.

I find that it is alot easier to start running and then if it rains on me, then so be it, than to start in the rain! I feel you pain! Sometimes though, ya just gotta do it!:smile:
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I have nothing interesting to report about todays run. Except that I did it, and didn't make any un-expected walks.

There were no skunks, armidillo's, raccoons, stiff north winds, or rain to deal with. Sorry.
  • tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I have nothing interesting to report about todays run. Except that I did it, and didn't make any un-expected walks.

There were no skunks, armidillo's, raccoons, stiff north winds, or rain to deal with. Sorry.

LOL How boring! There was a little snow here today, but I didn't run it in!
  • JPriceGA
    JPriceGA Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    After three consecutive rainy mornings - I gave up and ran at the gym tonight on the treadmill. I picked up the pace, but had to walk a couple of times. Finished the distance 3.1 in 45:38... just 38 seconds over my goal time for Saturday's run!
  • nicolee516
    Options
    No armadillos or skunks? bummer! Good for you Jan! Good luck this weekend!

vdpal ....welcome!
  • nicolee516
    Options
    well, I ran 3 miles today on the track. In the middle I did some repeats. Boy, this getting into shape again thing is tough! I keep trying not to think about what my old times were! Just focus on the now......:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • aeswan
    aeswan Posts: 66 Member
    Options

I don't wanna gross you out, but it could be bacteria or fungus - you might be starting to cultivate athlete's foot. I've also read on coolrunning.com about how runner's feet are usually really gross - black toenails, etc... because they are hard on their feet and they sweat a lot, and are very warm thereby becoming a perfect media for fungus and bacteria to grow.

However there is a very easy and cheap way to fix this!! I know you'll think I'm nuts but this honestly works, read about it somewhere online, and have been doing it for about 8 months now. Take a cheap spray bottle and fill it with white vinegar. Keep it by your shower. When you get out of the shower and towel dry your feet then spray them with the vinegar - top of toes and bottom of foot. Let it air dry.

Vinegar is very acidic, and bacteria and fungus can't live in it. This will actually heal the thick yellow toenails that you can sometimes get - it takes 4 or 5 months for the toenail to grow out, but it works, that's why I started using it. no more thick yellow toenails - nice clean normal toenails.

Your feet won't smell either. :) hee hee. It seems nuts, but it's part of my daily routine and it works.

Hmmm... my toes really only itch during my run, not at other times. But it probably is related to sweaty feet--I probably should try some new socks. If that doesn't work though, I'll try the vinegar! Thanks!
  • kimss
    kimss Posts: 1,146
    Options
    I just found your thread today, I have been increasing my run time for the last few months. the last 3 weeks I went from a 20-30 min. run, to an increase to finally hitting the 6,2 miles. I walked for 3 intervals that totaled 8 min. and finished in 75mins.
    I was right were you all were not long ago, I just wanted you all to know that it does get easier. I'm not sure how, but one day your running along and thinking that you need toc stop, but then you think, just 2 more min's and then just 3 more min's... and so on and so on..... the next thing you know your running 4 mile, then 5 miles......:happy: I increased my milage of 3 miles to 5 mile in 3 weeks. I know you all can do it. just keep pushing yourself a little farther every day. I run on the treadmil, so I find that easier than outside, but that's just my opinion. good luck to you all, I'd like to keep posting here if there's room for new friend?
    I am planning on running my second 6.2 miles today.
    I am planning on running with the NIKE run day on Oct 24th. I wish I could run the race in person, but I will just be doing it for myself, but thats enough motivation for me.
    Unless any of you would like to join me and see if you can push yourself. try for a 5K or 10K, anything that is farther that your normal.
    hope to here someone wants to
  • kimmay
    kimmay Posts: 26
    Options
    I have recently fallen in love with running. And I will admit...it is more of jog/walk. But, 2 or so weeks has passed since I have taken my jogging routine seriously and I find my endurance building and I am super excited about it. I prefer to run outside. The fresh air feels great and I the scenery keeps me from getting bored. Also, I find motivation in passing other joggers. I will often feel like giving up and then another jogger will pass me. And all I can think is...look how great they look. It is really not that bad...there are worse feelings I could be encountering right now...keep going keep going. haha.

There is a 5k run in Huntington Beach, CA in February. My goal is to be able to run that without feeling like I am going to die. So, if anyone is from the SoCal area you should join me :]
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    I completed week 2 of C25K! :] I am well on my way to being a 5K runner.
  • nicolee516
    Options
    I just found your thread today, I have been increasing my run time for the last few months. the last 3 weeks I went from a 20-30 min. run, to an increase to finally hitting the 6,2 miles. I walked for 3 intervals that totaled 8 min. and finished in 75mins.
    I was right were you all were not long ago, I just wanted you all to know that it does get easier. I'm not sure how, but one day your running along and thinking that you need toc stop, but then you think, just 2 more min's and then just 3 more min's... and so on and so on..... the next thing you know your running 4 mile, then 5 miles......:happy: I increased my milage of 3 miles to 5 mile in 3 weeks. I know you all can do it. just keep pushing yourself a little farther every day. I run on the treadmil, so I find that easier than outside, but that's just my opinion. good luck to you all, I'd like to keep posting here if there's room for new friend?
    I am planning on running my second 6.2 miles today.
    I am planning on running with the NIKE run day on Oct 24th. I wish I could run the race in person, but I will just be doing it for myself, but thats enough motivation for me.
    Unless any of you would like to join me and see if you can push yourself. try for a 5K or 10K, anything that is farther that your normal.
    hope to here someone wants to
    There is definitely room here! What is the Nike day run? IF you look at my profile, I used to run all of the time! I even dabbled in Triathlons , but I didn't put it in my profile. I just want to get back into running! My favorite distance to race is 10 miles! SO.......a 10k is awesome! How often do you run?
  • m2kjenn
    m2kjenn Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    Made it out for my first run in over a week - wow did I miss it. However, the break was good, ran 10 minutes longer than I had been before for a total of 40 jogging, 20 walking (warm up and a few hills) Also my first time out in weather under 50 degrees, ok, I know that's not really even chilly but I tend to be a wimp with the weather - so proud of myself for getting out there. REally need to invest in some wicking ls tops,
  • kimss
    kimss Posts: 1,146
    Options
    [/quote]
    There is definitely room here! What is the Nike day run? IF you look at my profile, I used to run all of the time! I even dabbled in Triathlons , but I didn't put it in my profile. I just want to get back into running! My favorite distance to race is 10 miles! SO.......a 10k is awesome! How often do you run?
    [/quote]

it is flashing periodically on the top of this site.... it has a timer ticking down the days-hour-mins for it. it is Oct. 24. you can go to the Nike website and get all the info. I can't go to the actual race, but if you have a nike chip in your shoe and Iphone you can link up your runs with others. I don't ,but i just wanted to have something to motivate me, and this did it. They are running here at the University of San Diego, but it is at Midnight, and I have kids and a hubby and I can't get away for that . when I heard of this 3 weeks ago, I had just ran my first 3.1mile. and I really was pretty happy about it, but then I decided that maybe I could do the 10K if I really worked hard. and I did it. Today is my second time of completeing it in 75 Min. I still have to go nonstop, I stopped for 2min's today to help my daughter, but that was it and I started up and finished.
    I try to run at least 4-5 days a week. and I treadmil. I would like to run outside, but i have a toddler that keeps me close to home. I run while she is napping.
    I quite smoking, after 28 yrs, in Dec. 08 and I started walking in Mar. 09 and have worked up from there. I would like to get comfortable with this distance and then , play with it and make it faster and then go farther. I just do it for fun and am liking the results. I think my body changed a bit over the last couple weeks, no weight loss, but things are amoving.
    nice to meet you all... I'll check in again.
  • aeswan
    aeswan Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Jan, good luck Saturday! I'm sure you won't melt if it's raining (unless there's something we don't know about you...).

And m2kjenn, good job on getting out there--I was actually thinking last week when it was colder than it had been, that I like wearing my colder weather running gear--makes me feel like more of a real runner than cotton t-shirts or tank tops that I tend to wear in the summer. Plus, I do not like hot weather, so I've been loving the cool fall.

BUT... today is supposed to be a running day for me, and I let the rain talk me out of it. :cry: Will try to get out tomorrow morning, but I am not much of a morning exercise person--we'll see how that goes.

Welcome to the newcomers--it's always nice to have more buddies. :flowerforyou:
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    Reporting in..... did 3.1 miles today - pushed myself to increase speed and worked up a good sweat! Tackled some hills in there as well...... all in all, not bad.

Happy to have a place and peeps to report in to, it will help me keep going.

Jan - good luck on Saturday - you're gonna feel AMAZING!