Book Nerds --UNITE!

Options

Replies

• jlenz74
    jlenz74 Posts: 30
    Options
    Nora Roberts is an excellent romance writer! She also writes under J.D. Robb which offers more suspense/romance! Of course I have heard alot of buzz about the 50 shades of grey series. I havent read those yet but they are on my list!
  • sisierra
    sisierra Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    You should check out Simon R Green his Nightside books are awesome so are the books in the Forest Kingdom. Also they are a short but good read the Percy Jackson Series is great.

I've totally read a couple of books in the Nightside Series! You should check out The Fallen series by Thomas Sniegoski, its not as dark as the Nightside series but great nonetheless!
  • SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I've enjoyed anything by Patricia Briggs. Her Mercy Thomson novels are better than the Alpha and Omega ones IMO. I also read the Anita Blake series by Laurell Hamilton and the Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris.
  • sisierra
    Options
    Nora Roberts is an excellent romance writer! She also writes under J.D. Robb which offers more suspense/romance! Of course I have heard alot of buzz about the 50 shades of grey series. I havent read those yet but they are on my list!

I've read Master of the Universe, its by the same author of 50 shades, and apparently they are VERY similar if you have an ebook reader I can e-mail you the PDF!
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    I'm told Kelley Armstrong's books are good. They're teen paranormal romance. I just got done with Mockingjay and a zombie book called Dog Blood, and I'm working on In The Woods by Tana French and Fortress Of Solitude by Jonathan Lethem, neither of which are paranormal or romance.

Oh, and I recommend any book by Christopher Moore. They're all supernatural/horror, all contain romance, and are all hilarious.
  • PonyTailedLoser
    PonyTailedLoser Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    So many great reads. Juliet Marillier's Daughter of the Forest Trilogy. Jacqueline Carey's Kushiel series. Anything by Stephen R Donaldson. Patricia Cornwell. The Pendergast Series by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child to name a few :)
  • aki7chien
    aki7chien Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Another great series (to me) are the Clan of the Cave Bears series by Jane Auel.
  • ajhr
    ajhr Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Hi!

A few of my favourite books:
    Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte
    Watership Down - Richard Adams
    The Book Thief - Marcus Zusak
    Middlesex - Jeffrey Eugenides
    A Man in Full - Tom Wolfe

I also enjoy reading young adult fiction, and particularly love the His Dark Materials trilogy by Phillip Pullman, and the Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling
  • sisierra
    Options
    Fellow book nerd here! Not much for romance but I do like Shakespeare :). And horror

I love Shakespeare!!!!!!!!!! Have you read Truman Capote's In Cold Blood?

Yep, had to read it for an English class back in high school. It was really good!!

Sisierra, Dracula was another book I had to read for school, lol. Also very good! I love vamps and weres and stuff like that. I'm in the process of writing my own series right now :3

Writing your own series?! You are such a BAMF!!! But I would definitely recommend Sherrilyn Kenyon to you. I don't if you want to try out the Paranormal Romance but the action in there is absolutely divine!
  • anabell31
    anabell31 Posts: 268
    Options
    I'm told Kelley Armstrong's books are good. They're teen paranormal romance. I just got done with Mockingjay and a zombie book called Dog Blood, and I'm working on In The Woods by Tana French and Fortress Of Solitude by Jonathan Lethem, neither of which are paranormal or romance.

Oooh, zombies. Cherie Priest has a great series of zombie books set in the Civil War era. The first one is Boneshaker I believe, and Dreadnaught was really good.
  • sisierra
    Options
    I really liked The Gravediggers Daughter by Joyce Carol Oates. I usually don't read much fiction, and it was the only one I have read by that author, but I liked it. I have been trying to read some of the old classics as of late. Really interesting stuff!

I am currently reading the Divine Comedies by Dante. I'm up to Paradise, and I like it, but not nearly as interesting as the Inferno. :)

Next in my Nook cue, Metamorphosis by Ovid!

Try the Portrait of Dorian Gray! I really enjoyed it!
  • ajhr
    Options
    Another great series (to me) are the Clan of the Cave Bears series by Jane Auel.

I loved those books, but felt the last two were not as good as the first four.
    (and it's Jean M. Auel, by the way, but I know exactly who you mean!)
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I read mostly nonfiction these days. I like european history. I even learned a couple of ancient languages just so I could read the primary sources for myself. That took a little while.
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    ...backs quietly out of the thread

nooooo come back! we can talk about...about...SHAKESPEARE! yes shakespeare! I've read Antigone and the one about her dad lol

LOL

I'm more into science/speculative fiction, and horror,

Shatterday - Harlan Ellison ( some of his best short stories)

The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress - Robert Heinlein (great science fiction)

I, Robot - Isaac Asimov (nice collection of shorts, far different from the movie)

The Dresden Files - Jim Butcher (paranormal/fantasy which might appeal to you - I liked the first few, and then meh)

Books of Blood - Clive Barker
  • sisierra
    Options
    I've enjoyed anything by Patricia Briggs. Her Mercy Thomson novels are better than the Alpha and Omega ones IMO. I also read the Anita Blake series by Laurell Hamilton and the Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris.

ahhhh! You're reading the Anita Blake series but not the Merry Gentry series?! You're killing me here woman!! But I approve that you are reading Hamilton. I haven't read much Briggs, but I'll check her out! Try Sherrilyn Kenyon, she is a GODDESS!
  • anabell31
    anabell31 Posts: 268
    Options
    Writing your own series?! You are such a BAMF!!! But I would definitely recommend Sherrilyn Kenyon to you. I don't if you want to try out the Paranormal Romance but the action in there is absolutely divine!

Yeah... It's a long way from being finished. So much research to do!! And I will for sure check her out. I'm not completely opposed to romance, it's just not the first thing I reach for
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Tales of Mystery and Terror Edgar Allan Poe
    The Ship that Sailed to Mars
  • ajhr
    Options
    I've called you all here for a very important reason. I NEED NEW BOOKS! Give unto me your recommendations! Or we can have a lively discussion about things we've read. Any genre is welcome!

My personal favorites are Paranormal Romance though ;D

My absolute favorite authors include: Sherrilyn Kenyon, Katie MacAlister, Lora Leigh, J.R. Ward, Christine Feehan, Jaid Black and J.D. Robb

You might enjoy the Sookie Stackhouse novels by Charlaine Harris. I find them kind of trashy and fun :)
  • sisierra
    Options
    I read mostly nonfiction these days. I like european history. I even learned a couple of ancient languages just so I could read the primary sources for myself. That took a little while.

Fascinating! Which languages?

I'm partial to East Asian, Roman and Egyptian history myself. So I've read a couple of books about China and Japan and have seen a good number of specials about them all
  • Jeanne78832
    Options
    Currently Lisa See is a favorite author of mine.