Fat Acceptance

Options
1141516171820»

Replies

• bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    So I have ready plenty of the posts on this thread, and most of you people are even more disgusting that the "fat" people you hate so much. You either hate fat people because you are fat and hate yourself, or you used to be fat and hated how people and society viewed you. This website is for those of us that are trying to become healthier and lose weight, yet there are way too skinny people on here trying to tell me how to live my life and judging me. Do you have any idea how many people are admitted into the hospital every year for malnutrition, anorexia nervosa, and anorexia athletica all because society give us unrealistic body images(I am an EMT and I DO see it all the time). I get it, I am overweight and I am actively trying to change this. But I carry health insurance, have great BP, HR, and low cholesterol, so I am tired of people saying we are all soooo unhealthy. You people should be ashamed of yourselves trying to make overweight people feel worse than I am sure they already feel. They are already on this site to change their lives, so maybe we need to stop calling people "fat" and "disgusting" and instead, support them in their weight loss journey.

I bet you my first born that there are more people being admitted for obesity related issues than there are for anorexia or malnutrition.

Society never gave me an unrealistic body image, I decided that the couch and Cheetos were a way of life for a year or two and THAT is why I'm fat. The never ending excuses is a lot of the reason that people have a hard time respecting fat people.
  • forevereuphoric
    forevereuphoric Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't the fat acceptance movement question your very notion of "fat" being a rude term?
  • naomi8888
    naomi8888 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't the fat acceptance movement question your very notion of "fat" being a rude term?

Exactly!

But looking at the pic now I realise that's your girlfriend / wife, but what would she prefer? Overweight? Large?

And maybe she has offended some "crackhead" on here. Maybe they prefer another term such as "crack enthusiast".
  • bm99
    Options

Exactly!

But looking at the pic now I realise that's your girlfriend / wife, but what would she prefer? Overweight? Large?

And maybe she has offended some "crackhead" on here. Maybe they prefer another term such as "crack enthusiast".

It's all about PEOPLE FIRST terminology now. So it would be "person who is enthusiastic for crack"

Some people are so rude.
  • naomi8888
    Options
    Ooops my bad! :laugh: Sorry to any person who is enthusiastic for drugs, or sober-challenged, vertically challenged, horizontally challenged...

:flowerforyou:
  • fraser112
    fraser112 Posts: 405
    Options

Exactly!

It's all about PEOPLE FIRST terminology now. So it would be "person who is enthusiastic for crack"

Some people are so rude.

now now

Your implying people who partake in crack have a choice. I mean sure they could just stop taking it but then it would be their responsibility for the problem.
  • AmyParker979
    AmyParker979 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    just as a side: I love it when obese people guzzling diet coke tell me that smoking is bad for me; then they get in their SUVs and dial a friend for the drive home.

Ironically, the opposite just happened to me. A smoker wanted to preach about how people need to stop being overweight and get healthy.

I'll admit - I've only read about 1/2 of the posts here because the thread is just too long... however -

The thing is, it hasn't been easy for me to get on the right path. There are so many different view points on eating right and the do's and do-not's of dieting and working out, etc etc - it's overwhelming. I am fat - I know how I got here, but until recently I didn't know the best way to get out. I've done Weight Watchers and been to several weight loss clinics. Weight Watchers doesn't truly teach you HEALTHY and all THREE of the clinics I went to wanted me to go all protein and put me on Phentramine. o.O Neither of those options are the healthiest way to proceed, IMO. I didn't learn, nor did my parents learn, the math behind calories in/calories out - the effects of carbs/fat/sodium - what happens to a fat person's metabolism after they lose the weight... I'm STILL learning every day. All of these things I should have learned in school.

No - I don't think that people should be judged based on weight but I definitely don't think that consessions should be made because people are fat. What then is the push to make a change. A MAJOR reason I wanted to change is because I can't go on a rollercoaster, movie theaters are tight seating, flying is ridiculously uncomfortable, etc. If I weren't uncomfortable, would I be so motivated to lose the weight? I'm not sure I would.

In regards to health care costs and insurance - I'm in insurance *and* I'm uninsurable for most life insurance so I see both sides. I rarely go to the doctor and am fairly healthy while I know skinny people who are always in and out of the doctor for one reason or another. Are my healthcare costs higher than most? Doubtful. Could they be eventually? Maybe. The real rise in healthcare costs, honestly, goes beyond medical issues and moves to more social issues - people without insurance going to the ER for common colds because they have no coverage. When it comes to changing insurance/health care costs, I don't believe that hitting the 'fat people' first before fixing the other issues is the best course of action. Again, just my opinion.
  • naomi8888
    Options

Exactly!

Some people are so rude.

now now

Your implying people who partake in crack have a choice. I mean sure they could just stop taking it but then it would be their responsibility for the problem.

Aaaand as so many people have pointed out, they may not be suffering from high BP, cholesterol, they can probably run a mile (from the cops) so it's their business and no one else's.
  • bm99
    Options

Exactly!

Some people are so rude.

now now

Aaaand as so many people have pointed out, they may not be suffering from high BP, cholesterol, they can probably run a mile (from the cops) so it's their business and no one else's.

:laugh:
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    In regards to health care costs and insurance - I'm in insurance *and* I'm uninsurable for most life insurance so I see both sides.
    This is not meant to be offensive, but the fact that you are uninsurable should tell you something. Even smokers who skydive 50x a day are insurable. Life insurance companies will underwrite ANYTHING they think they can make a profit on.
  • mjhedgehog
    mjhedgehog Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    bump
  • AmyParker979
    AmyParker979 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    In regards to health care costs and insurance - I'm in insurance *and* I'm uninsurable for most life insurance so I see both sides.
    This is not meant to be offensive, but the fact that you are uninsurable should tell you something. Even smokers who skydive 50x a day are insurable. Life insurance companies will underwrite ANYTHING they think they can make a profit on.

Actually - that was VERY offensive. I AM trying to do something about it, that's why I'm here. Maybe I should have phrased it that I am uninsurable at a decent rate. And, as a matter of fact, not all smokers or sky divers are insurable - depending on the writer. I only write with A rated companies, not those that are likely to fail in the next year or so.
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    [The only acceptance that I have come to with my weight is that I did this to myself and only I CAN fix it.]

[/quote]

that's an interesting thought....having been the fat kid all my life, shopping in the 'husky' department at penneys, i don't think i had any say in the matter. I don't blame anyone, maybe I should,, but I don't. it's just the way things were.
  • Bennettjade
    Options
    A person is more than their weight. They have thoughts, feelings, desires, and emotions just like a skinny person. To me, "fat acceptance" isn't saying being fat is healthy, or ideal, or idolized. Its accepting that the adjective "fat" isn't the sole defining characteristic of a person. Fat people deal with a lot of assumptions made about them - they're lazy, dumb, slow, low-class. You see a person, and judge them immediately, simply because of their weight. That is unfair, and dehumanizing. We all have an inner life that lives on regardless of how our exterior appears.

Fat people know they're fat. They're not blind. To me, fat acceptance is recognizing the person within the person, and treating them with the same humanity we should treat all others. Be kind, as everyone is carrying within them a struggle.

Well said!
  • aoikirin
    aoikirin Posts: 143
    Options
    If you come to Denmark they just make unhealthy food crazily expensive instead...

total opposite in the U.S

Yep.. Dollar Menu, anyone??

LOL yeah. I'm hesitant to fully place the blame on fast food though. People do make choices.

It's also on foods with a more than 2.5% saturated fat content extra tax is placed.

Do you have any fat people over there??

We need to do this in the U.S. We wouldn't need "Obama Care" if we took care of ourselves.
    I don't know about Denmark, but unhealthy food is just as expensive if not moreso than healthier alternatives in Norway and in several stays there I've only seen a handful of people obese or even overweight. It's a startling contrast to here in the UK even.

Meat is subsidized in the US. It is a huge industry. Meat in Europe is quite expensive due to the lack of subsidy.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I think there is a difference between accepting "fat (choose your preferred term if you don't like "fat") people and saying that it is healthy to be very overweight. I'm finding this hard to express, so maybe I'll give an example of two scenarios.

If I had a job going for a receptionist in my office, I'd want the right person for the job. I don't care if the person who applies is fat, thin, brown, white, purple, moustachioed, red haired, has a large bum etc. I want the right person for the job who can communicate well with the people who walk throug the door and call in on the phone.
    In this situation, it would be absolutely wrong to discriminate based on size (or gender, or sexuality, or race, or disability etc).

If I was a doctor and had someone walk through my door and ask me "doc, I'm worried that I'm not very healthy, I want to be able to run around and play with my kids, and I don't want to die an early death of a heart attack like my father. What can I do?", then weight is definitely a factor that I would want to discuss. This is discrimination, this is care.
    In this situation I would be negligent if I didn't take weight into consideration, along with a whole lot of other factors.

So, I think my point is that you can accept people (we are all different) but not condone being unhealthy (OK, OK, I know not all fat people are unhealthy, but I'm talking about the majority of people like me who are much healthier at a lighter weight).
    I think the same thing about smoking - I can accept it without condoning it.
  • StarkLark
    StarkLark Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    So first we had this:
    So I have ready plenty of the posts on this thread, and most of you people are even more disgusting that the "fat" people you hate so much.
    And then we had this:
    They are already on this site to change their lives, so maybe we need to stop calling people "fat" and "disgusting" and instead, support them in their weight loss journey.
    So to summarize your well-thought out post... most people in this thread are disgusting, and maybe we need to stop calling people disgusting. Thanks for that Aaron257.