How did y'all gain your weight?

Options

Replies

• SingerJennXXXX
    Options
    I've always struggled with weight issues since I was 9 years old. I was always about 10-20 lbs overweight, but my mom put me on a very strict diet when I was 11 and I got really skinny. She got scared, took me off of the strict diet where I proceeded to go back up to my comfortable 10-20 lb cushion. Back then I was always told I was fat, even though I look at pictures now and I don't see me being that fat.

I gained more weight after I had my son back in 2002, but then lost 95 lbs of it 3 years later. I then re-fatted AGAIN during my divorce. I ate as a way to cope with the stress of going through divorce, having to explain what's happening to a 5 year old, and trying to put my life back together afterward. I'm now 185 lbs overweight, because I ate like it was my job. Now, I'm ready to lose it again, and I got a great jump start this week with my first loss!
  • pfarley68
    pfarley68 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    A severe hormonal imbalance after a tubal ligation that caused an extreme weight gain and chronic fatigue amongst other horrible things. I had surgery to reverse it in January and now I am fighting to get my body and health back.
  • jillica
    jillica Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    OVEREATING & too much sitting on the sofa watching TV!
  • jderby12
    jderby12 Posts: 1
    Options
    I was 125 before I got pregnant. Peaked at 171 while pregnant, came home from the hospital weighing 145 had it in my head I was fat, just moved 800 miles with my husband who just got back from Iraq and a 3 month old baby. Just never stopped eating, next thing I knew I was 185. Looking back at pictures of me right after I had my daughter i wanna go back and kick myself
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Comfort eating. I was extremely depressed during my relationship with my son's father (it was VERY mentally abusive, and occasionally physically abusive) and I was basically cut off from most of my friends and wasn't allowed to have a full time job so food was my friend. Well, frienemy. It was always there for me, but damn it made me fat!

I finally got out of that relationship and into an amazing one (3 1/2 years now!) but at that time my father's health also began to deteriorate due to AIDS. I was his beneficiary and the one to be in charge of everything when he got sick, so it took a large toll on me and I continued to eat my feelings. He died officially of a massive stroke in 2010 (AIDS patients don't die from AIDS itself, they usually die from some disease or event like a heart attack/stroke that their body is too weak to handle), and I slipped back into a pretty deep depression.

Finally, I got help and saw a therapist, and have been back on track and back to my normal, positive, happy self for the last year or so. I felt healed enough from the inside to really tackle the outside this past winter, and now I'm kicking *kitten* and taking names!
  • bev214
    bev214 Posts: 20
    Options
    Prednisone saved my life but, killed my body!
  • jens_journey
    jens_journey Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I also gained 60 lbs while on Depo which in turn I became depressed and went on Paxil which also contributes to weight gain. I started going to school while working (desk job) so my nights were spent sitting on my behinds studying. 7 years later I have gained almost 80 lbs. This is my year! My year to become a healthy me, a happier me!
  • nichalsont
    nichalsont Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    A job I hate (stress), teenage daughter (stress), husband works different shift (stress), quit smoking (stress).

Did I mention stress? No matter how much I ate, I never seemed to be too full. After eating too much, I would feel guilty. To deal with the stress of feeling guilty, I ate.
  • jcamby
    jcamby Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I had 2 kids...and gained lots with both of them! Never had a weight problem before that!
  • Gwoman2012
    Gwoman2012 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I gained 30 lbs (140-170) in a year for two reasons: my first office job and first long term relationship. Lots and lots of eating out and sitting on my butt.

I lost 25 lbs but then got married and had two kids...first pregnancy gained 50 lbs and lost 40 before getting pregnant with #2...gained 40 lbs, lost 40 lbs and now I am at 160. I need to lose 10-20 lbs.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I've always had poor eating habits all my life. When I was younger I did enough swimming to make up for it I guess. In my early teens I was told by a Dr I couldn't go shirtless in the sun anymore due to extreme risk of skin cancer so I stopped the swimming and got put on antidepressants. The lack of activity combined with antidepressants allowed my poor eating habits to catch up with me, and in high school I really started putting on the pounds.
  • morninglilli
    morninglilli Posts: 194
    Options
    Heavy drinking/ depression.....miscarriage/ more depression...comfort eating/ depression/ more drinking...

That is a recipe for disaster! Glad I was able to break the cycle.
  • onikonor
    onikonor Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I gained mine in my twenties and for years did not know what was going on because I ate good ( or at least that's what I thought) ,and worked out regularly, I a gained a massive amount of weight from thyroid issues. I had previosly went from my normal 175 to 216 during my pregnancy and down to 160 after that only to gain way more from complications due to my thyroid and eating a high carb, high soy diet...soy is my enemy apparantly.

I'm done with excuses, I know what works for me and now I'm going to be my normal, athletic, fit yet curvy self again...

Yeah I've read that if you are hypothyroid soy can be a bad thing. I think it's it may have the opposite effect for hyperthyroidism.
  • bnewnam
    bnewnam Posts: 15
    Options
    I quit smoking 3 yrs ago and got an office job around the same time. Bad combo:(
  • babymines2004
    babymines2004 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I was slim until I had my last son 13 years ago. I weighed 125-130, 5' 7", and was really skinny. I weighed 150 after pregnancy and lost down to about 140. 140 was a healthy weight for me but the weight has always settled in my ab area. Last year I had done two months of P90X and my mother-in-law died, the beginning of that last month. That did it, I gained about 30 to 35 lbs and haven't been able to get it off. Now I weigh about 170 and I am trying to work my way back down to a nice healthy 145. I'm doing Brazil Butt Lift now, it's been a month. I am committed to do whatever possible to get into shape now.
  • betteringmyselfeachday
    Options
    After graduating high school. I went from being an active Varsity Cheerleader to nothing. I drank cokes all day every day, never any water. I ate what I wanted, when I wanted. I ate emotionally. I ate out of boredom. I ate when I wasn't even close to being hungry.

I have tried fad diets, sometimes doing okay only to gain it back plus some.

This is the longest I have stuck with anything (counting calories).
  • Jennfur2610
    Jennfur2610 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I've been fighting genetics my entire life. My junior year in high school I was diagnosed with chronic migranes and put on a medication who's major side effect was you would lose weight. I dropped 25 lbs by the time I started my senior year, and another 20 by the end of it. At the start of college I was down a total of 65 lbs. I then went off the migraine medication and learned to control my headaches with stress management and eating healthy.
    At the time I went off the meds (it's still on the market and used for migraines, but is not good for long term use if you can avoid it.) I was also dating a guy who was very focused on my weight and making sure I weighed less than him (he had a hyperthyroid issue and had a hard time gaining weight). We broke up and I became an emotional mess (not sure why since he was the loser). Met my husband who said he loved me no matter what I looked like, and introduced me to processed food and carbs. He also drinks a lot of his calories. I put on twenty pounds within our first year dating. And then after we got married I put on another fifteen pounds in our first year married. I'm back at my weight I was in high school prior to the meds.
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    Just crept up on me as I got older. I swear at every new decade, my metabolism drops by half. I used to be able to skip lunch and lose 5 pounds - now it takes a month of diet and exercise, and it could come back overnight! I've had to accept that as my body ages, I have to stay very active but eat a lot less than I used to. Doesn't seem fair, does it?:cry:
  • MamaWannaRun
    MamaWannaRun Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Drinking mountain dew out of 2-liter bottles :)

wow, you ARE ME! except I did 4-5-6 cans a day! put on 50 pounds in two years!

Mt. Dew is the DEVIL!
  • apbush10
    apbush10 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I gained my by stress eating, depressions, eating too big of portions. I am on the go all the time, and just have to stop at the convenience store for an ice tea. I usually come out with more than the ice tea. I have changed that, and got my doctor calling me all the time seeing how I am doing. I've now lost 23 pounds even though I started myfitness pal at 214 and have only lost 3 since starting.