for all the hopefull "wanna be" runners out there - trying t

Options

Replies

• nicolee516
    nicolee516 Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I ran 2 miles today and it felt great! What a difference when you do interval work! I did just one session last week and I dropped time! YEAH!! Still not quite ready for a race. (not that I couldn't finish one, but my ego won't let me because it knows what I used to run, time-wize):grumble: :grumble: Damn that ego!!! LOL:laugh: :laugh:

I hope everyone is having a great day!
  • aeswan
    aeswan Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    I've had a less than stellar week--was out of town over the weekend visiting the in-laws and didn't run at all from last Mon until today. :frown: But I did go for a couple of long walks, and tried a zumba class Tuesday (wow, does that work different muscles from running! Makes me think I should do more cross-training. :laugh: )

Anyway, I just got back from a very wet 3.5 mile run. It's pouring out there! But I went.

All this talk of intervals makes me think I should try that--it seems like I get stuck in a rut of trying to increase my mileage, and I'll do pretty well with it, but then I have a stretch like the last week and a half and I feel like I'm back at square one.

iplayoutside, I agree with the others--sign up for the 5k! You have nothing to lose!
    And Betty, I think your birthday present idea sounds great--I know it's a little silly, but I have some running clothes that I think I run better in than others, because they make me feel more like a runner. Plus, with winter approaching, it makes sense to have good clothes for colder weather.

Keep up the good work everyone!
  • nicolee516
    Options
    aeswan - You can still increase your mileage and do intervals. Just incorporate your intervals on a day. I usually do a mile warm-up and cool-down so....I actually used to do easily 5 miles on an interval day. I don't know what your weekly mileage goal is, but when I was training for a 1/2 marathon, my interval days were anywhere from 6-8 miles....
  • aeswan
    Options
    Well, a 1-mile warm-up & cool-down would take up the majority of my run :laugh: I usually run between 3 & 4 miles, would really like to make it 5 on a more regular basis... but I will try some intervals on Saturday! Thanks!
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Just finished Week 5, 20 minutes sustained against a cold 25 mph wind out of the north, not sure of the temp, but I bet it was in the 30's. This was my first run with tights. Of course, it was only cold for the warm up walk. But coming back with the wind at your back is definatly easier than going out.

I was so proud of myself I actually did a fist pump when I finished. If any neighbors were watching they'll have to wonder.

I guess I'm going to sign up for some races.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    Just finished Week 5, 20 minutes sustained against a cold 25 mph wind out of the north, not sure of the temp, but I bet it was in the 30's. This was my first run with tights. Of course, it was only cold for the warm up walk. But coming back with the wind at your back is definatly easier than going out.

I was so proud of myself I actually did a fist pump when I finished. If any neighbors were watching they'll have to wonder.

Wow, good for you! I can imagine you doing the fist pump. :laugh: You'll do great on your races.
  • kimss
    kimss Posts: 1,146
    Options

:drinker: congrats.... I knew you could do it!!!!!! just keep doing it, and amaziningly....it will start to get easier. I know it doesn't seem like it...but it does. sign up for your races!!!!!!you'll do great.:bigsmile:
  • nicolee516
    Options
    Iplay outside-that's great! I am glad to hear you are going to sign up for some races!

I am excited!:happy: :bigsmile: Today I finally got to go and get my new running shoes! And I ordered one of those running skirts. Has anyone ever used one of those? I am sure that you haven't Iplay!:laugh: I am run/walking 5 tomorrow. So I will get to try outthe new shoes!
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options

Great job!!! I am starting Week 4 Monday. :smile: Woohoo!
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I just bought a new running outfit at Fred Meyers. It was normally $50 but marked down to $19.95. :happy: It's an early birthday present to myself. :bigsmile:
  • aeswan
    Options
    OK, I tried the intervals today--what a great way to run on a day when I was feeling less than good! My mile warm-up run was awful, and if I had been going out to just run I probably wouldn't have made it very far. :grumble: But instead I decided to do 5-6 min running, 1 min walking, and try to push myself during the running intervals... well, I ended up doing 6 intervals (although honestly, given how draggy I was today, even though I FELT like I was running faster than normal, I probably wasn't :laugh: ). All together, including about 5 mins walking at the beginning and end, I went just over 5 miles, which is a good mile more than I usually go. Woo-hoo! Now we'll have to see how I feel Monday.

Betty, congrats on the new outfit!
    Iplayoutside, have you signed up for your races yet?
    Nicole, I have one of those skirts, but I used it for a swim suit bottom, never tried running in it (and now it's too cold here). But I do really like it. Hope you enjoy your new shoes!

Have a good rest of the weekend everyone! :happy:
  • nicolee516
    Options
    Mommared- You go girl!!!!:bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Aeswan- Excellent! I find that the miles tick away when you do intervals.
  • lissmiller
    Options
    I just found this topic - haven't looked around the message boards too much yet (too busy trying to get my nutrients in line! :smile: ) Also I have trouble reading this tiny font - anyone know if there's a way to make it bigger?

To the topic - I was being very lazy, with the FL summer humidity being my latest excuse. So I decided to look for outside inspiration and found it in a dog. I searched for an adult dog who could handle (with care) the humidity and (eventual) distance, and got a 3 yr. old Border Collie. Rocky and I walked all summer due to the humidity, building up to 2-3 miles every AM and PM. Now that it's getting less humid, we're adding some running - walk first for "potty time" and to warm up; then start with running .1 mile, then walking, then running .1 mile, etc. I hope to add .1 mile every week until we run more than walk. He loves it, and since I must to get him exercised every day, I've hit 7 days a week of exercise for the first time in my life! Often on the weekends we get in an extra walk with my son and his Vizsla, Finn. More calories burned, more muscles and bones strengthened. (I also do some strength training 4 or 5 times a week - building upon that.)

I know not everyone can or would choose to (or need to!) get a dog to stay motivated, but for me it's been wonderful. Any others out there who walk/run with your dogs? It's not as much serious running, probably, but I'm encouraged that it's getting the job done! And lately I find myslef tempted to go out for a run on my own...
  • kimss
    Options
    afternoon girls,
    I am kinda shakey, so i will keep this short. I just did my fastest 10K 66:44min. it is AWSOME....
    The only problem is I am,like I said, kinda shakey and chilled and sweating. I have a new thread started asking any advice. so I will see what they say.
    I'm off to check
    see ya later, Kim
  • nicolee516
    Options
    afternoon girls,
    I am kinda shakey, so i will keep this short. I just did my fastest 10K 66:44min. it is AWSOME....
    The only problem is I am,like I said, kinda shakey and chilled and sweating. I have a new thread started asking any advice. so I will see what they say.
    I'm off to check
    see ya later, Kim
    First of all...CONGRATS ON THE TIME!
    You may have pushed yourself really hard...also you may be out of fuel. It is good to have a little bit of carbs about 1 hour before you run. You also need to refuel 1hr after you run too. I have felt that way before. I try to have a small apple or dried plums or something like that before I run. That will help you get through the run. Contrary to popular belief, you don't need to supplement (during you run) for that distance. I actually didn't even supplement for 10 milers I used to do. Not unless it was roaching hot. Another piece of information...I sometimes sweat out alot of salt. For your recovery meal, maybe try to but a dash of salt on it...it seems to work too.

Welcome Lissmiller! You will find there are all different kinds of runners on this thread. Some just starting out, some that have been at it for a while,etc. It is a very encouraging thread!:bigsmile: :bigsmile:

As for my run/walk today- I did 5 miles again. Same time and pace as last week, but boy did my legs feel great with my new shoes!!!!:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: It took the first mile for my legs and feet to realize, "Oh! So this is how I am supposed to run and feel!" LOL:laugh: :laugh:
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    afternoon girls,
    I'm off to check
    see ya later, Kim

Great job Kim! You're inspiring - maybe one day I'll be there too (shakes, sweat and all!) LOL!!!
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    A few things -
    1. yesterday I ran 3.3 miles - walked 2 miles - for total of 5.3! This included lots of hills. :)

2. I could use some more advice/instruction for how to effectively do interval training to eventually improve speed. Nicole, I read your reply about intervals being just sprint distances, and the need to work "fast twitch" muscles. that makes sense. But, how far/long (distance and time) should I be aiming for for the sprints? and how many repetitions? Is it normal for your legs to feel like lead after doing only a couple of sprints? For some reason -after I do only 2 intervals, I feel like I'm out of energy - and yet I can jog/run for 30 minutes non-stop, some days longer!

3. Does anyone have favorite songs and/or running playlists that help you keep going? I'd love some recommendations!

THANKS Y'ALL!
  • kimss
    Options
    thanks girls,
    I'm feeling much better now. I agree, it was dehydration. I did eat a carb/protien before and after and I also had a gatoraid right after too, and I really think that all helped. I am back to normal and all energenic. I am finishing a cup of fresh pineapple too, I heard that is great for after a run.

Smiles.... for me I just increased up to a 2-3min. max pace. and do as many as you can in your alotted time. that is the thing with sprinting... you can only go so far and so long in a sprint. the faster you go , the shorter time you can run. if you are all out running with everything you have, you may only be able to keep that up for 30 seconds, and that would be great... so you just need to push yourself as far as you can comfortably... remember, an injury will stop every bit of progress ...now. So for me... I like to push myself, but within limits. I increase my pace slowly, and also my distances by adding a min. or so at a time. then I will stop increasing and spend a week or so just at that time and then work it and then begin to increase again.
    My 6.2 miles is going to be my max distance for awhile. I plan to play around with my speeds until I feel really comfortable with it. then I might start another increase, but really I don't see that happening until the first of the year.
    good luck everyone, and thanks for the encouragement.
    Kim
  • nicolee516
    Options
    A few things -
    1. yesterday I ran 3.3 miles - walked 2 miles - for total of 5.3! This included lots of hills. :)

2. I could use some more advice/instruction for how to effectively do interval training to eventually improve speed. Nicole, I read your reply about intervals being just sprint distances, and the need to work "fast twitch" muscles. that makes sense. But, how far/long (distance and time) should I be aiming for for the sprints? and how many repetitions? Is it normal for your legs to feel like lead after doing only a couple of sprints? For some reason -after I do only 2 intervals, I feel like I'm out of energy - and yet I can jog/run for 30 minutes non-stop, some days longer!

3. Does anyone have favorite songs and/or running playlists that help you keep going? I'd love some recommendations!

THANKS Y'ALL!

Hopefully you can get this link that I have below. Let me know if you can't. I went to runnersworld.com and put into the smartcoach that you do a 30minute 5k. Just to give you a base. Play around with the smartcoach, it has actually gotten me PR's on races. I actually never really followed it for a 5k. Now I am not a speed demon, by any means. My best 5k is a 25:10. I just haven't been able to break 25min. One of my lifelong goals! :happy: I do better in longer races. I am like the energizer bunny, I keep going! LOL:laugh:

So here is my 5k training that I always did. I typically run 3 days a week. Tues, Thurs, and Sun.
    Tuesday is usually an easy run day. Easy pace, you should be able to hold a conversation at short bursts or pretty close to it. Thursdays are either an interval workout or hill repeats or tempo run. Sundays are long run. Again, conversational pace.

Easy run, of 2-3 miles.

Tempo run- About 80% of your race pace.

Hill repeats - are just that, repeating a running up a hill and either jogging or walking back down. Depending on how steep the hill is is how many I do. You can go for distance or time on these.

Interval- can be done different ways. There is something called a fartlek as well. I will jsut talk about the interval. Very similiar. If I am on a track, do 1 to 1 1/2 mile warm-up. Then I do different kinds of repeats. I some times alternate 200m and 100m with slow jogs in between. I run my first one and I try to keep that same pace for each one after that. Of course if I go faster I don't mind!:tongue: I sometimes do 2 -200s and 4- 100s and then finish with a 1/2 to 1mile cool down. I have done a 400, 2-200's and 4-100's... I am not there right now. The pace should be all out for the interval. You recover for the next one....Sometimes my legs do fell like lead, especially when I haven't been doing interval work.
    We will never get faster if we constantly run the same pace all of the time. We also need listen to our bodies like you and Kim said before!

Long runs right now are 5 miles. That is good for me for 5k's. It gives me the endurance.
    I hope that helps:bigsmile: If you have anymore questions, let me know!
    http://www.runnersworld.com/cda/smtcresults/1,7144,s6-238-277-278-0-0-0-0,00.html?starf=&lrdy=0&metr=miles&slen=16&trainstart=ds1256605087093&startf=checkforward&hour=0&mins=30&secs=00&rlen=fivk&rdst=fivk&mpwe=6&diff=mod
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Wow, I can't wait until 3 miles is an easy run. I'll get there though.

I noticed this morning that I'm always running up hill, not a steep one, but enough to notice. Now I'm not an old man telling stories, but during my run it finally hit me. I do my warm up walk going down hill. By the time I'm done with the walk it's back up again. So when I'm coming back it's up hill.:grumble: