How did y'all gain your weight?

Options

Replies

• munkey418
    munkey418 Posts: 139
    Options
    I put on my first major addition of weight during pregnancy without even trying. I was even dieting to stop gaining and couldn't. So my Dr wld lecture me about gaining too much and for dieting all in one visit... I hoped to lose it after but that clearly didn't work out... I didn't change any eating habits from before pregnancy but my body changed. The hormones kicked on PCOS and while that's not the only reason (poor diet and no exercise duh!) it sure didn't help, neither did getting a desk job :/

Still a desk jockey, still dealing with the side effects and unpleasantries of PCOS BUT changing my eating habits and have added a ton more exercise than I was doing and I have fantastic support from friends on and offline. I'm gonna show my body who is boss and get the old me back!
  • s_bell2012
    s_bell2012 Posts: 27
    Options
    Horrific football injury that took 3 years to heal properly and during that time could not train at all. During that time i piled on the pounds, after going from training 4-5 times a week to nothing but yet still taking in the same calories. Once leg was better i was too fat to go back to football so gave up.

Now had the proverbial kick up the back side and back on the fitness campaign
  • kayl3igh88
    kayl3igh88 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I ignored it. The End. :sad:
  • Thesoundofwolf
    Thesoundofwolf Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I was always chunky. In middle school I was breaching on the size 15 US Women's, then in high school I was around 18's. As I progressed in college, my life style put me into a size 23 at it's worse.

Between bad gaming habits, depression, anti-depressants, and birth control my weight has yo-yo'ed incredible levels. And I'm tired of it. I don't want to be 'skinny', I want to be 'healthy'. I don't want to 'diet', I want to change my life.
  • mrswattie
    mrswattie Posts: 16
    Options
    Dealing with emotional issues by eating and indulging in wine :drinker: Not anymore though :happy:
  • mrseelmerfudd
    mrseelmerfudd Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    i put on over 4 stone when i was pg with my daughter, and then i just kept eating for 2, and put on another 2 stone after!
  • ktrn0312
    ktrn0312 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Initially birth control pills. Twenty years of consuming two (20oz ) Pepsi sodas daily and all the cookies, cakes, & sweet stuff I could consume. Now I know better- moderation & portion control.
  • scotslass
    scotslass Posts: 317
    Options
    Pregnancy, gained 3 stone going from 11stone - 14 stone (154lbs - 196) Started exercising / Diet got down to 174, gained all the weight back on year later then some, started again at 14st 12lbs (207lbs) Now sitting at 11st 2lbs 156lbs.

Been a long journey but getting there x
  • stickwithme
    stickwithme Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Thousands of calories in + very few calories out X 10 years = Me (before starting MFP).
  • Kathrynha77
    Kathrynha77 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Partly eating too much and not exercising enough, but a lot was cos of depo birth control.
    Then I'm a comfort eater and gained 4 stone (56lb for none brits) after my brother died.
  • umer76
    umer76 Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    I did not eat a lot but high carb diet and ice creams resulted in my weight increase. NO exercise or NO running is the biggest reason for my weight gain. If I would eat as I was eating but regularly do running, walking I would have been fine. I am just been lazy for years. Come onnnnnnnnnnnnnnn start running/cycling/walking now. I constantly tell myself:)
  • marketdimlylit
    marketdimlylit Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Through pregnancy - put on 50lbs, yay. :grumble:
    I had just got down to a decent weight before pregnant too damnit ><
    So back on that journey to my post preg weight.
  • sarahmoo12
    sarahmoo12 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    My partner eats a lot of fast food and so I picked up on the habit. 3 years of junk food realy takes it toll.
  • DanetteNel
    DanetteNel Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    After stopped going to gym and partied too much in my early thirties! :drinker: I gained 1 kg a year so it really crept up on me!!!!

Stopped partying long ago, but the weight just stuck.

BUT - I intend to be in better shape at 45 than I was at 35! :bigsmile:
  • psyhunter
    psyhunter Posts: 7
    Options
    used to exercise regularly but stopped for no reason and still ate much. steroid change from MS relapse also affected
  • twinmum1982
    Options
    Gained mine through pregnancy, dealing with stress and depression and comfort eating, but slowly getting my head round my issues and just dealing with one day at a time and not beating myself up when the healthy eating goes a little off course.:wink:
  • lkcuts
    lkcuts Posts: 224
    Options
    My problem was I didn't know why I gained weight. I have lost big 2 times in my life mostly from just starving,then I thought once i got it off it won't come back that I can have a normal life like people who's genetics don't make them gain weight. I would whine.."Why couldn't I have had the skinny DNA?" Even though I walked alot in High School, I was still about 20 pounds over weight, and am big boned at 5'9..
    After the 1st child I gained 50 pounds,went down some and had the second and gained another 30 pounds. Through out highschool I stayed around 170. Later i bloomed up to 225. Lost the weight to 184-188. gained back ,then lost again. It creeps up slowly and before I knew it I was back at a higher weight of 258 pounds.
    I tried a few times dieting and gave up. I read to log your food, but had no way to keep track of my calories before MFP.
    Wow I didn't realize how many calories and large portions I was eating. when I first started using regular portions I thought I would die. How can anyone survive on only 3-4 ounces of meat and only1/2 to 1 cup of anything I thought. Now its plenty! my goal is to go in my weight where I should be between 145- 150. I have never been that thin in my life (except 120 in the 6th grade) lol.
    Right now ,its a long way off to reach that goal,something i have never achieved, but with MFP and my friends here, i feel I can do it this over time and not crash dieting again..ever. Good luck all on your journey!
  • misschubbybutterfly
    Options
    When I was pregnant with my son, I assumed that meant I could eat everything in sight and all the weight gain was "the baby"
    Oh to be young and naive.....
  • Hasu
    Hasu Posts: 67
    Options
    Two things, both of which doctors didn't want to acknowledge until I got so big they were trying to shove me on the operating table and under the knife for some type of weight loss surgery.

1. Steroids - Asthma Medication
    2. Thyroid Issues

You add these 2 fun things together, both of which can pack on the pounds just fine ALL by themselves and I got HUGE. However, I'm finally starting to get it off although very SLOWLY. I'm hoping working closely with my doctor that it'll start to fall off a little bit faster.