Women 50+ for October

Options

Replies

• AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    :huh: Okay, so I admit I’m a little slow with the computer address info. What is img?:ohwell:

I'm guessing img is short for image. All I know is it is part of the html code (surrounded by brackets n such) you need to inbed a photo in a thread.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,968 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :bigsmile: :flowerforyou: :bigsmile: :flowerforyou: :bigsmile: :flowerforyou: :bigsmile: :smile:
    Jake is home YIPPEE
    the dogs jumped all over him and that's how I felt :bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: Barb, this must be the day for vacuum cleaners. I learned today that the vacuum works much better when you take out the overstuffed bag and put in a new one :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: so if you didn't already know that I was a less than sterling housekeeper, you know now. Our dogs don't shed but the cats make up for it and all four of them drag in dirt from outside all day long. That is so great about the clothes. .....yes, it is a good thing that your friend is taller rather than shorter.

:flowerforyou: Vicki your little black dress is great. I had the same experience of losing weigh from the top down. When I was growing up my mother told people, "Barbie had two grandmothers with big rear ends and she inherited both of them"

:flowerforyou: SuzyQ, the one and only time I made pecan pie I think I ate half of it. I wouldn't dare do that again. You're getting to be a pro at making good choices so I know you'll have no trouble declining dangerous desserts.

:flowerforyou: Fabulocity, thanks for posting your "before" pictures. You have accomplished so much that you are truly worthy of your name. I know you'll stay on track and continue the journey that you've started so well.

:flowerforyou: Birdie, I agree with you. I never met a sweet dessert that was too rich or too sweet. That's why I have to stay away from them. One little bite would never be enough for me. :laugh:
    hugs to all :heart: :heart: :heart:
    Barbie
  • doobiedoo
    doobiedoo Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Hi MFP friends! I have been SICK for a week. :sick: I didn't get on the computer the whole time. It is good to post again and get caught up little with all of you. It was interesting, today I picked up a journal I started when I first joined MFP and it was a huge encouragement to see my last entry in May I was at 222 and now I am at 208. I continue to fight with my rings and watch to keep them where they're supposed to be, but they are a constant reminder that I have lost weight and continue to do so. Glad you are all doing well. Vicki, you're lookin' good!! Kathy, just keep on keeping on, you'll make it!! Have a good evening ladies!!:flowerforyou:
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Last week was my monthly eating frenzy week. I don't think I really eat that much but it *feels* very out of control. Plus the scale goes up. But then it passes, I pee like a race horse for two days and the weight is always gone. So I think it's mostly hormonal and mostly water weight, but it FREAKS ME OUT every damn month.

Plus, I topped it off with what was supposed to be my big race of the season and it was a disaster. My calf injury has been getting worse and worse and it was bad by that morning. I could hardly run at all. Then, just as we were getting ready for the swim, the fog rolled in and got worse and worse as well. So then they canceled the swim.

They had us run up the beach to the transition area as if we were coming out of the water and I couldn't even run the whole way. I had to walk the last block and I was in such pain.

I changed for the bike but I just couldn't make myself go out there. With not being able to run or even walk, I'd have to DNF once the bike was over and there was no swim. (I was also worried I wouldn't make it all the way on the bike and I'd end up stuck out there until a volunteer could drive me back.)

I didn't see the point of biking only and risking injurying myself further which could impact next year's season just for a bike ride. So I turned in my chip and took my family to the boardwalk where the fhinish line was. I alternated between hanging out with my family on the boardwalk and hanging out at the finish line (on the beach).

Then we went home and I iced all the rest of the day and went to bed early. I woke up in big pain and Aleve and Advil didn't touch it. Went ot my PT appointment and they had me warm up on the bike and I could *feel* the tear in my calf. So I was right. There was no way I would have even finished the bike.

I'm going to take it easy for a week and then do a lot of swimming and upper body strength work until I recover.

Barb - your dog story cracked me up.
  • BirdieM
    BirdieM Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    :cry: I just got back from teaching my 7th grade CCD (Catholic Christian Doctrine) class, and one of my kids wasn't there because her best friend became the first Swine Flu victim in RI today. It's absolutely heartbreaking.:brokenheart: Please pray for the 12 year old who died and all their family and friends. Death is always tragic, but a 12 year old....there are just no words.:brokenheart:
    BirdieM:cry:
  • l_mahloy
    l_mahloy Posts: 118
    Options
    Hello Everyone,

Well I weighted for the first time in weeks since I had gained 10 lbs during all of the health issues in my family. I have great news I have a loss yeah yeah yeah it has been so long to see the scale go in the right direction. I still have 3 pounds to go to be back to the loss I had before all the sickness. Please keep me in your prayers things are still so stressful my oldest brother has now been hospitalized with pneumonia. Our family doesn’t seem to get a break with the health issues.:cry: :

KC congrats what a great loss you have had and it is awesome that you aren’t having cravings. I did south beach when it first came out and I also found it very easy to follow. I am very hopeful that we will all lose the weight we need and most importantly we change our life styles for the rest of our days.

Fabulosity you look marvelous what a great accomplishment already!:flowerforyou:

Barb congrats on the new wardrobe and the new little addition.

Vickie WOW you look great in your little black dress you should be so proud of yourself!!!:flowerforyou:

MacMadame so sorry about your injury but you did the right thing by stopping before you did so much damage it would require surgery. Take it easy for a while to make sure you want miss next season.

Hope everyone has a great evening,
    Lynn
  • LaurelFisher
    LaurelFisher Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Good evening all. I had a very stressful day at work today and I wanted to eat everything that wasn’t nailed down:noway: ……..however I managed to restrain myself. :wink: Thank you GOD for giving me the strength not to. I only ate 1,237 calories and then I did Leslie Sanzone 3 miles twice while listening to a CD I burned. It really relieved the stress and kicked some major calorie butt.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    :heart: Barb- sounds like you hit the clothes jackpot. All my clothes are really hanging. (not that I’m complaining) I can’t wait til I can afford to buy a few more things that fit. Love your pet story.
    :heart: Vickie- you look great. Love the dress.
    :heart: Susan-thank you for the information. I hope you have a nice trip; my Mil wants me to take her on a 5 hour trip to the cemetery where my Fil is buried and to another cemetery where her parents and aunt is buried. The only problem is she is a chain smoker :sick: and I don’t know if my lungs can handle it. It’s bad enough my husband smokes,:grumble: I just go in another room and shut the door.
    :heart: Barbie- I feel your joy all the way in Delaware. Have a great reunion.:wink: (If the dogs will let you alone long enough.):laugh: :laugh: :bigsmile:
    :heart: Doobiedo- So glad your feeling better.
    :heart: MacMadame - hope your feeling better soon. I know it will be hard to stay off your feet.
    Lynn- congratulations on the weight loss, I am keeping your family in my prayers.
    :heart: Fabulocity- WOW
    :heart: :brokenheart: Birdie- I got a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach when I read about that little girl. My heart goes out to her family.:cry: I know how it feels to lose a child.:brokenheart: All my prayers that God will give them the strength to deal with the days ahead.

:yawn: It is really getting late gotta go to bed….zzzz Have a great day tomorrow. Love to all, Rosemary
    :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • LaurelFisher
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Good evening all. I had a very stressful day at work today and I wanted to eat everything that wasn’t nailed down:noway: ……..however I managed to restrain myself. :wink: Thank you GOD for giving me the strength not to. I only ate 1,237 calories and then I did Leslie Sanzone 3 miles twice while listening to a CD I burned. It really relieved the stress and kicked some major calorie butt.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    :heart: Barb- sounds like you hit the clothes jackpot. All my clothes are really hanging. (not that I’m complaining) I can’t wait til I can afford to buy a few more things that fit. Love your pet story.
    Lynn- congratulations on the weight loss, I am keeping your family in my prayers.
    :heart: Vickie- you look great. Love the dress.
    :heart: Susan-thank you for the information. I hope you have a nice trip; my Mil wants me to take her on a 5 hour trip to the cemetery where my Fil is buried and to another cemetery where her parents and aunt is buried. The only problem is she is a chain smoker :sick: and I don’t know if my lungs can handle it. It’s bad enough my husband smokes,:grumble: I just go in another room and shut the door.
    :heart: Barbie- I feel your joy all the way in Delaware. Have a great reunion.:wink: (If the dogs will let you alone long enough.):laugh: :laugh: :bigsmile:
    :heart: Doobiedo- So glad your feeling better.
    :heart: MacMadame - hope your feeling better soon. I know it will be hard to stay off your feet.
    :heart: Fabulocity- WOW
    :heart: :brokenheart: Birdie- I got a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach when I read about that little girl. My heart goes out to her family.:cry: I know how it feels to lose a child.:brokenheart: All my prayers that God will give them the strength to deal with the days ahead.

:yawn: It is really getting late gotta go to bed….zzzz Have a great day tomorrow. Love to all, Rosemary
    :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Birdie- That horrible. I can't image loosing a child that way. My heart goes out to her family. Jeannie
  • heartrw
    heartrw Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone...yes, I'm still around and survived leading the OA meeting on Sunday. Nothing to it really except we had twice as many people as the previous two meetings, including three visitors. Went well except when one visitor didn't think another (also one of the "visitors") was being "personal" enough in her sharing. I sidestepped that thanking the one that had been sharing, telling her how much I enjoyed hearing what she had to say, how helpful I personally found it, and then moving on. I'm sure that sort of thing doesn't happen often, as it's the first I've seen of it. Anyway, next time I won't be so nervous.

Had a great :happy: Sunday and thus a good weigh-in yesterday AM...down two pounds inspite of my need to nosh last week.

Fabulocity, you look fantastic in your photos...as you do Vicki in your little black dress.
    Barb, awww...a Yorkie, how adorable they are..., about all your clothes being too big, what a great problem to have... happy to hear about the "new" clothes for you.
    Lynn great job on losing 7 pounds!! So sorry about your brother, hope he is better very soon!
    Birdie, so sorry to hear about your CCD student, I will add her family and your class to my prayer list.
    Doobiedoo, glad you are feeling better...and glad Jake is back home again, Barbie.
    MacMadame...so sorry to hear about your calf...like others said, take it easy and give it time to heal.
    KC...great job on the South Beach diet. Happy to hear it is making you feel so much better.
    Jeanie, thank you for your words of encouragement and sympathy over my headache. Darn thing
    lasted all day.

Thanks to all who keep promoting drinking water. I've been making hash marks and doing much better at it. Drinking a full eight ounce glass before my morning coffee and every time I think "what can I eat" is really helpful!! :drinker:

Have a wonderful Tuesday, ladies. :heart: Terri
  • BirdieM
    BirdieM Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Doobie: Glad you’re feeling better. It IS good to look back and see the whole picture to get a positive perspective.

:ohwell: Lynn: I’m glad you’re doing well on your weight but you sure do have a lot of health issues in your family. You are in my prayers.

:frown: MacMadame: What a lousy break! I hope you mend soon. That must have really hurt. My calf hurts just thinking about it. BE GENTLE with yourself!

:smile: Rosemary: Sorry your day was so stressful. But at least you didn’t eat over it!
    Hope today is better.

:smile: Terri: Whenever I ran into a “situation” with people at these meeting…I stop and remember…..it’s their problem not mine. You handled the meeting well, kept your cool and I’m sure you’ll be doing it more and more. I met a lot of wonderful people in OA but once in a while there is someone who makes it just a little uncomfortable. Congratulations on the loss, too!
    Have a good day all!
    BirdieM:smile:
  • kcfva122
    Options
    Hello, everyone,

I was trying to write personal messages but somehow I lost my post twice so I'm giving up on it for today.

So sad to read about the 12-year-old who died with H1N1. It's going around my school pretty quickly but so far it has been relatively mild. Some kids are out for two weeks, others for a week. Many classes are down by 10 or more students. And as if that weren't enough, we're also having a lice epidemic! Six 2nd-graders were sent home today because you could see the lice walking around on them. (I didn't personally see them - just heard through the grapevine) As I sit here thinking about it my head itches. Yuk!!

I'm hungry but it's not time for supper yet. I'm saving my snacks for closer to bedtime 'cause that's my real danger period.

I lost 4 pounds my first week in MFP. I'm sure I won't keep losing at this rate but I'm imagining that my clothes aren't quite as tight as they were last week.

Cheers,

Karen
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Had a great :happy: Sunday and thus a good weigh-in yesterday AM...down two pounds inspite of my need to nosh last week.

Thanks to all who keep promoting drinking water. I've been making hash marks and doing much better at it. Drinking a full eight ounce glass before my morning coffee and every time I think "what can I eat" is really helpful!! :drinker:

Something that happens to me every month is that I have 5 days when I feel like I could eat a horse and I crave salty foods and have to force myself to drink. I'll go up in weight as much as 5 pounds too. Then, it passes. My mind clears. I start preferring sweet foods again and I drink and drink and drink. I also piss like a race horse for 2-3 days and drop whatever weight I've gained.

I assume it has something to do with my monthly cycle but it's not obvious what triggers it as it's not during my TOM and it's not clear if it's around when I ovulate.
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,

I finally got around to walking the dogs last weekend. Poor things hadn't been out of the yard in a year. (Our yard is 2.3 acres). It's weird but excercising regularly on my Wii Fit has kept me from walking the dogs. It scolds me if I miss a day.

We just went on an hour hike in the national forrest, but it was great and I hope to do it again this coming weekend.

Have a great evening,

Jeannie
  • heartrw
    heartrw Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Something that happens to me every month is that I have 5 days when I feel like I could eat a horse and I crave salty foods and have to force myself to drink. I'll go up in weight as much as 5 pounds too. Then, it passes. My mind clears. I start preferring sweet foods again and I drink and drink and drink. I also piss like a race horse for 2-3 days and drop whatever weight I've gained.

I assume it has something to do with my monthly cycle but it's not obvious what triggers it as it's not during my TOM and it's not clear if it's around when I ovulate.

I know I used to go nuts at my TOM (before I had my complete you-know-what), but also at my mid-cycle I would get cravings and feel just a little off the mark. But you are right...I was suffering the allure of salty snacks. Those darned dry roasted peanuts kept calling. How I handled it finally was I got out the jar, divided the remaining peanuts into three individual one-ounce servings, and promised myself I could have a glass of white wine and a serving of peanuts each night I'd allowed enough calories left-over to do so. It's amazing how corralling those peanuts into "portions" took away the desire to open the jar and pour a few or a handful to nosh on!! There's just something about a whole jar that allows unaccountability to sneak in.

How is the calf....I hope it mends quickly for you. As Birdie said, be gentle with yourself.
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    We went out to lunch today----Buddha's Delight and brown rice
    not as low calorie as my usual at home lunch but certainly high nutrition, moderate sodium, and very tasty. :bigsmile: :bigsmile: A visit to the dog park, an hour walk with Jake and 25 minutes on the exercise bike have helped balance things. The good thing about going to lunch (besides the smaller portions and lower prices) is that you have a lot more hours to work off the calories compared to going out to dinner.

:drinker: Doobiedoo,glad you're back from being sick :bigsmile:

:drinker: MacMadame, I'm so sorry about your calf and your race......I wish you patience as you wait out your recovery :bigsmile:

:drinker: Birdie, I am so sorry about the young girl in your CCD class.:brokenheart: :brokenheart: :brokenheart:

:drinker: Lynn, you have been a rock through all the health challenges in your family.....congratulations on your return to weight loss

:drinker: :drinker: Rosemary, you did your usual amazing job sticking to yur plan through thick and thin...you continue to be an inspiration.......stress eating is not mandatory......it can be defeated :bigsmile:

:drinker: Terri, you are more capable than you realize.....you did a great job at you OA meeting. Your group is blessed to have you.....I know you add a lot to the fellowship

:drinker: Karen, when I taught first grade, my head itched every time the nurse came to the classroom to check heads for lice......in 34 years of teaching I only got head lice twice,.....OMG my head itches just writing this. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Company just came. gotta go
    Barbie
  • vickim26
    vickim26 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Good evening ladies,
    First my confession about yesterday. i did not ride the bike while the girls were sleeping because I was trying to load windows 7 on my computer. I did not go to gym last night and I dont even know why. I did stay within my calories even though I ate a small candy. Didnt do anything I said I was. But today is a new day. I ate well within my calories and good calories. I did go to the gym while girls were at school and burned a lot of calories. I read the posts but cant remember at the moment who said what so will address that later.
    I have a special request. My cousin whom I mentioned last week has Lung cancer that has spread to many parts of her body including her spine. I know from other people I have known that is not good. Her brother said they gave her 2 years but she is fighting. She has begun chemo treatments. She had her first yesterday and another today. He will keep me posted. I would just like to ask for those of you who pray to please put Donna in your prayers and on your prayer chains if you have one. She is only 56 and too young to be taken from her family. As far as I know she has never smoked in her life so go figure. Thank you so much ladies. I really appreiciate each and every one of you.
    Vicki M
  • LaurelFisher
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Hello ladies, just a quick note tonight. I weighed in today and have lost another lb. one more to go to my first goal of 175.:bigsmile: I did the 3 mile tonight and am exhausted:yawn: :yawn: :yawn: can't stop yawning. Thank you for all of your :yawn: :yawn: :huh: continued support and encouragement. May God bless each and everyone of you, going to bed now:yawn: :yawn: :yawn: .....zzzzzzzzzz:heart::flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou: :heart: :smooched: going to bed now for sure, Rosemary
    :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :yawn: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    Our company was actually a business appointment for Jake
    a woman who is friend of mine so it was part business, and part social....Jake was on the phone when she rang the bell, I was on the computer and watching TV and dogs started barking......it was crazy.:laugh:

Now all is calm again. Jake and the dogs are eating popcorn and he's back on the phone again.

:drinker: Karen I lost weight pretty fast at first and it was exciting.....my first assurance that I was losing weight was that my underwear felt looser
    nobody noticed but me and I felt thrilled every morning when I got dressed. My food plan for the day includes a bowl of Kashi cereal with almond milk......I knew that it was important for me to plan to eat again after supper......it has worked for me.

:drinker: Jeannie, I'm so glad you're walking your dogs again. Walking dogs and taking the dogs to the off leash dog park and walking while they run are big parts of my exercise program. When I'm out with the dogs I use some of the time for prayer and meditation so the time is doubly well spent.

:drinker: Vicki, you are so focused, even your not so good days are better than what most people do. I will continue to think good thoughts for your cousin Donna.

:drinker: :drinker: Rosemary, congratulations on another pound lost.:bigsmile:

Now it's time for another ride on the bike and the chance to watch TV again.:bigsmile:
    hugs:heart::heart: :heart: :heart: Barbie
  • myvt9v4crh
    myvt9v4crh Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Happy October!

Katla in Illinois