• Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Thankful you didn't see the ol' twig and berries
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Locker room = naked people.

You will see more of them - it's your problem not theirs. Not sure how you will overcome it but there ya go...

This is a little harshly worded, but basically true. A locker room is for changing, some people chose to change in a quiet corner (or a stall) others do not, but either one is perfectly acceptable. If you don't like seeing naked people, don't go in the locker room. End. Of. Story.

The really awkward thing is seeing your boss or your students naked in the locker room...Just sayin'.

Nothing harsh about it. It's the truth. You can candy-coat it all you like, but the problem lies with her for being "disgusted" by other people who have the audacity to change clothes in a locker room, and not hide in the shower to do it, like she'd prefer.

People have to undress completely for a number of reasons. Now, if it's a 70 year old guy standing at the sink, shaving, with his junk sitting on the sink ledge, then I could understand someone complaining, but her excuse is pretty weak.
  • imworthit52
    imworthit52 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Aw you all scared her to deactivate her account! :sad:
  • soygurl
    soygurl Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I don't want to be harsh here, but I think it's a just a little sad that you'd consider a woman who is comfortable with her body in the nude to be disgusting. Uncomfortable? Sure. A bit shocking, even, if you'd never experienced that - yes. But imagine if someone else called your naked body disgusting... at the gym, no less, where you're trying to improve it and gain confidence.

Some people are more open than others with nudity - it's totally fine if you're not, but it would be great if you were open minded enough to appreciate the confidence. And who wants to change in a wet shower stall anyway? Just politely avert your eyes in the future, and try to come to terms with the idea that our bodies are just bodies... there should be no disgust there.
    ^ This! ^
    It's just a body... It's not like someone was trying to harass you or something! Sure, I can understand your shock if you've never been in a locker room before, but to claim that you're "traumatized" because you were surprised to see someone who was naked? Seriously? I really hope you never have to experience any REAL trauma!
  • theladyy
    theladyy Posts: 176
    Options
    Oh...she deactivated her account....

anyone else smell a troll?
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    LMAO.... the shock of us explaining how normal it is to see naked people in a locker room forced the OP to deactivate. Priceless!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • sugarplumj
    sugarplumj Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Wow. This post makes me kind of sad. It's a body. Everyone has one. It may not be attractive to you, but no one's body is disgusting.

agreed. this post was more disturbing than the prospect of seeing an unclothed person trying to better themselves at the gym.

notice how their account is deactivated? good riddance.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Aw you all scared her to deactivate her account! :sad:

I guess she was talking about another kind of sharing? :wink:
  • CynSucceeds
    Options
    :smile: great answer...to be that comfortable in one's own skin would be awesome. I'm not but think it would be incredibly liberating--feeling that I could be that comfortable.

I don't do a lot of being in a gym....lets not go there...lol but I know in the lockerroom after swimming if I don't get nude I can't get dry.

nude=intentional removal of clothing
    naked=surprised that you are nude...
    Peace and good luck on reaching your goals. Cynsucceeds
  • smorealloyquik9
    smorealloyquik9 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    At first, seeing naked people in the locker room can be uncomfortable if you aren't used to the "open-ness". You do get used to it, but I would suggest, if it makes you feel more comfortable, keep your head down as you walk around the room or face the lockers when you're getting dressed/undressed. Think of it as no one is checking you out or is intending to get checked out while they go about their business in there. Hope this helps you out.

Good for you for going to the gym! Keep it up!
  • ChelseaM18
    ChelseaM18 Posts: 303
    Options
    Yup! It's even more awkward when they start talking to you wanting a full-on conversation and ask you for some deodorant. That was fine, JUST DON'T DO IT NAKED!!!!!!?!?!

At this point of time I wished and wished and wished I'd melt into a puddle a sink into the ground
  • Squeezalsize10
    Options
    yes i feel uncomfortable!!!

Yeah im the same but i learnt to ignore it...to the point of not watching where im going and hitting into something. hehehe funny.
  • pants77
    pants77 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I can totally empathize with OP.

I was at the post office today and someone licked an envelope. I mean they stuck their tongue out and actually licked it.

What the hell's the world coming to?
  • stephaneb74
    stephaneb74 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    one day at camp, I got naked in the ladies locker room.... that was awkward ;)
  • mfp_junkie
    mfp_junkie Posts: 359
    Options
    Joined a gym a year ago. In that year, I've seen guys

- weigh themselves naked
    - shave naked
    - carry on a full length conversation about last night's game, including full play by play, naked
    - brush their teeth, comb their hair, etc - naked

Generally, 99% of the guys in my gym strip down to get changed, without a thought. I do walk to the shower with a towel wrapped around me, but not for modesty, but I am trying to spare the other guys the ugly sight of my flabby butt.

I'd say it's a part of the gym experience, and if you are not cool with that, invest in a home gym.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I am shocked and indignant on behalf of the deactivated OP. :angry:

*sits around, being shocked and indignant*
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    The last time I remember anyone not wanting to be naked in a locker room was in Jr. High. Your towel was your armor.
  • Ladyiianae
    Ladyiianae Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Many gyms have a privacy area for people who are not comfortable undressing in front of others or for those who don't want to see everyone else undressing. You may want to check for this space at your own gym. Good luck!

This. Seriously you need to get a grip. It's a public gym, a public LOCKER room and people are THERE to get undressed and to shower after their workout. No one is there to look at your body so avert your eyes if it bothers you that much. If you are offended, why? she was doing what she was supposed to do in that space. I for one do NOT take all my clothes into the shower and then disrobe, sorry sister. My thoughts? You don't like what you see, don't look. We're all there to make our bodies better, not be judged or made to feel badly.

Find a private area if you are that uncomfortable....or, shower at home.
  • lynnetted43
    lynnetted43 Posts: 252
    Options
    i work at a gym.. unfortunatly i run into it everyday!! just do what you gotta do and get out of there. that is what i do!! then i walk away and shake my head in disbelief, because i have seen it all !! trust me on this one:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: