What Do You Think Your Calorie Intake Was Prior to MFP?

Options

Replies

• foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    probably 2000-3000
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I'm sure I was all over the place.. there's no way my calories were ever consistent

ya...pretty much this. Looking back and remembering the crap I would eat...good god...blitzing through 4 pounds of M&M's while waiting for the pizza guy wasnt unheard of
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Slightly higher before MFP (snacks and all), probably around 2300, then I started to watch everything and followed the standard "low fat, watch the calories, 1800 limit" deal and it dropped, but the weight didn't significantly.

So I discovered my kind of low-carb/sort of paleo/minimal sugar/no grains way of doing things and I've been steadily increasing my intake and still dropping. I need to find a new level for optimum maintenance without introducing a lot of processed food, too much protein or grainy things.

I think it should start with sorting the hormones and metabolism out before thinking about calories, carbs or whatever, the body will adjust to varying calories to a certain degree.

It seems faintly ridiculous to me now that my body needs XXXXX calories to survive and any relatively small daily variance from that (a couple of hundred calories, maybe more) means weight loss or gain.

I think the body is a bit smarter and more sophisticated than just running a simple maths problem every day and will find a way to use the extra (or a deficit) without compromising whatever my set point of fat percentage is. Historically speaking it must be this way, surely?

And again, I waffle on ... back to normal programming ...
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    it was way too low.

I did WW for years, always keeping to minimum points (about 1200 cals/day) and never eating the extra "exercise" points. I had no idea this was bad for me.

As my workouts increased I got to the point where I was probably netting fewer than 800 calories a day most days without knowing it for probably a few years. Gradually I put on weight each time I had a special occasion, bc my metabolism had slowed down so much -- one special meal of 2500 calories and BOOM! 2 lbs. Then I'd immediately restrict again, but never lose it. It was a gradual stair-step of gaining 15 lbs. over about 18 months all while working out hard 6 days and starving.

Once I found MFP and a thread titled something like "For those who work out like crazy and aren't losing" and "Living with Obesity on 700 calories a day", a realized I needed to eat more.

I lost all the 15 lbs. in about 6 mos.

If any of this sounds like you, check out the group on here EAT MORE TO WEIGH LESS. It's the true key to not just losing weight, but to KEEPING it off forever.

In case you're curious, I lost weight, got to goal, and now maintain 130 -132 lbs. at around 2000 calories a day. (5'4, 44 yrs. old).

blessings.

I'm glad you have found a decent diet, I would say EAT MORE GOOD, NUTRITIOUS, FOOD TO WEIGH LESS though ... adding 1200 calories of cheap easily digestible pseudo-food to your diet is not the way ;)
  • Altarian
    Altarian Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I figured it was between 3k and 5k depending on the day.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
  • prettytothinkso
    Options
    I have no idea, but I was eating things like two 500 calorie cookies in a sitting, or a 700 calorie sandwich, or a 500 calorie shake. No wonder so much weight was gained.
  • fluffysexyme
    fluffysexyme Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    ok... I'm backwards from the norm I guess. When I started I tracked my typically day for a week. I was eating 900 cals or less except on Sunday's when we would visit family and I would eat around 2000/2500.

Edit: No, I don't have and ED, I'm just never hungry even though I'm fluffy. I have to work very hard to stuff 2000 calories into my face a day and since I've been good about doing that the weight has been coming off. YAY!
  • jenaissance
    jenaissance Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    most days way too low, between 700 and 900, with other days way too high, over 3000. I've found my balance now :)
  • MooMooooo
    MooMooooo Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Great thread. Mine was always falling between 2000 and 3000 - terrible for someone as short as me.

It was VERY HARD to reduce this down - my bad habits were entrenched. :(
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    3-4K sun-thurs, friday and saturday were 4-6K easy if you consider all the boozing and late night diner eating i'd get into

i think at one point i want to try an have a SUPER high calorie day but with clean food. it was easy back then because i ate tons of processed stuff.
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    2000-2500 a day, 3000 if I was pigging out.
  • typingathome
    typingathome Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    At least 2,000. Eating fast food way too much, snacking on junk food, really sad. But MFP has really helped me and I am only in for one week now.
  • DesireeLovesOrganic
    DesireeLovesOrganic Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    my food was the same but I used to have 2-3 glasses of wine or vodka drinks every night which adds quite a lot of cal (which is how I gained 30 pounds in the first place!)
  • TanyaCurtis
    TanyaCurtis Posts: 630
    Options
    1000-20,000 somedays, no joke
  • zeleni
    zeleni Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    good heavens, my intake would have probably been around 4000 at least! I used to eat chips all of the time. I didn't get nick named the "chip monster" for no reason. :embarassed:
  • jessare1
    jessare1 Posts: 4
    Options
    At least 2000 if not 3000... I was a binge eater for sure!
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    yeah around 3,000. some days when I'm not sticking to the 1200-1300 range, I usually end up with about 3,000 without really trying.
  • 88josephine88
    Options
    I can;t believe I used to just drink beer, at least 4-5 times a week, without any thought, and on the weekends that could easily be over 8 beers.....
    and of course the kebab after that, and maccas and pizza the next day with the hangover!!
    I've found drinking spirits and diet soft drink, and the odd glass of red wine, and trying to remember the water, cuts the calories down, helps me stay a little more sober, and when I don't feel as bad in the morning, I'm less likely to reach for the fast food in the morning and start the guilty eating cycle
  • camila_scl
    camila_scl Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    My TDEE is near 1700, and I was eating 2200-2500 calories normally, on weekends or at least once a week near 3000