This is a weight loss board

Options

Replies

• TaintedVampyre
    TaintedVampyre Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    General Diet and Weight Loss Help

What kind of job requires you to be unfit, but light? Professional pillow tester?

I would guess any job that bases their initial screenings on BMI?

Which is a little illegal?

Illegal, yes. But just like the sex of a person, not completely uncommon. It is known that a person who qualified but overweight has less of a chance of getting hired versus somebody with less experience but a smaller waistband. And in relation to her medical insurance statement, same concept: Why sign somebody on to the policies if there is an increased chance of health problems, medical potentials.. Over all: weight = potential societal stigmas.
  • knackarsch
    knackarsch Posts: 53
    Options
    I get it. At one point I was in between jobs and sought out health insurance for the gap. While I'm really healthy and have had no weight-related complications, ever, the price jumped astronomically because I'm obese. Their questionnaire did not take into account how fit/athletic/muscular I was for my weight, only the number on the scale vs my height. Yes, BMI is a bad indicator of health, but in order to jump through hoops, a lower number on the scale can make a huge impact on your life.
  • Florawanda
    Florawanda Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Some scales can be inaccurate... when I bought new digital scales in February, they weighed me in at 12lbs MORE than the scales I had been using.. and this has happened before about 15 years ago, though I had forgotten! And sometimes when I weigh myself each morning (yes, I know I probably shouldn't! - but I choose to) and it gives me a figure I am disappointed with, I go back 5 mins later and it will weigh 0.2 lbs less!!
    At least with the measuring tape the error is not going to be more than +/- an inch!

I have measurements dating back over 40 years, and it has been really interesting to see how those compare with the measurements I am now at the same weight.- currently I am in measurements back to where I was about the year 2000, but in weight I was about 8 lbs lighter then... so maybe the scales then were wrong!

But whichever you choose to go by, they are a guide only - remember that one of the signs that you may be seriously ill with the big 'C' is weight loss, and I agree with the posters that you need to listen to your body, get to know it, and aim for genuine health! Good luck
  • HotCuppaJo
    HotCuppaJo Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Lol. After reading all 10 pages of this... I'm now left to wonder,... Where did the OP go??
  • bobbybdoe
    bobbybdoe Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Lol. After reading all 10 pages of this... I'm now left to wonder,... Where did the OP go??
    ^^^^^^^^^
  • rdy2lose
    rdy2lose Posts: 106
    Options
    I chuckled when I saw this. I know it gets frustrating not having what you want to happen as you want it to. I was watching the scale and getting frustrated, I had only lost 6 lbs, then I measured myself and found that I had lost over 17 inches! I was losing my motivation and the 17 inch loss helped to get it back. So I know you want to scale to go down, but don't discount the NSV, they are inspiring. Hang in there!
  • DelilahCat0212
    DelilahCat0212 Posts: 282 Member
    Options

probably got tired of being ripped apart.
  • henryfunderburk
    Options
    I don't see the conflict. I too am tracking my weight. I am really interested in general health, but there is no way to track that unless you explain exactly what you mean. I believe that if I lose weight my body size will decrease and my general health will improve. Although losing weight is important to me, overall health is more important. I believe that if you eat for optimum health your weight will take care of itself.

MFP will help you track a lot of things. I'm not worried about my arms, legs, and butt, but they are decreasing as I loose weight. You may be looking for other attributes in your quest for fitness, weight loss or whatever. MFP will help you with that too. Why cant we all just get along? God bless you all!
  • DelilahCat0212
    DelilahCat0212 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    ... the whole reason behind Denise's beginning rant. ... Weight loss help is not about saying you're doing it wrong! When someone gets frustrated because they have reached a plateau they want support not smart *kitten*.

I have realized that frustrations are better left unsaid here. Sad but true. Sometimes even the big girl panties dont fit.

So true. And sad. So much for support.

My suggestion: Don't look to strangers for support... People are saying that if you lose the inches, the weight will follow, but nobody wants to hear that. Get fit, build muscle and the weight comes off faster.

Since you quoted me - why have message boards then?
  • spikefoot
    spikefoot Posts: 419
    Options
    If you woke up tomorrow and weighed 200 lbs but had your dream body would you care about your weight then?
  • breakingthecyclept2
    Options
    The great thing about MFP is that you can do whatever YOU WANT! If you just want to care about pounds loss, than do it!

THIS! People are so freakin technical......#lightenup :drinker:
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Someone is going to be kicking themselves with embarassment in about a year lolol
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    headdesk.gif[img][/img]
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I don't have time to read all the responses...but to the OP, where exactly did you see that this was just a weight loss board? I must have missed that. I thought it was called My Fitness Pal.
  • kristalael
    kristalael Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Please post pictures when you lose all of the weight you're here to lose but haven't lost inches. I'd LOVE to see that! :huh:
  • Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Wait.. This is a weight loss board?!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Hahaha, you think the force of gravity has anything to do with your health.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    MyfitnessPal

Just sayin-
  • msrat1
    msrat1 Posts: 43
    Options
    :sad:
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    What I have found is that weight alone is NOT a good measure of healthy living. BMI itself does NOT give the whole picture. What is more telling is a number that takes measurements and weight together to determine your body fat percentage. What we SHOULD be focusing on is maintaining our body fat within a normal range. NFL football players are ALL either obese or overweight TECHNICALLY given the BMI scale... Why? Because muscle is denser than fat and hence weighs more per cubic inch... Yet arguably they are healthier than most of us. The coaches monitor not their BMI but rather their body fat ratio to ensure they are at their peak performance level... Yes weight and bmi means a lot to most of us who are not athletes BUT if we incorporate weights and resistance training to our regimen we must also focus on that body fat ratio and understand that we may truly be at a healthy fitness level even if we are "overweight" according to BMI. In short, it ALL MATTERS.
This discussion has been closed.