women 40+ would like to share progress

Options

Replies

• pinbotchick
    pinbotchick Posts: 3,904
    Options
    Good morning everyone, I hope you all have great plans for the weekend. We are planning to stay home and relax. My husband is disappointed in me - I didn't buy any Halloween Candy. I figured I would pass quarters out and save myself the calorie temptations. We normally only get 5 or 6 trick-or-treaters.

Yesterday was a bad calorie day even through I walked 6 miles... To many temptations at the local restaurant. I love small towns but when something big happens everyone in the area shows up to celebrate. We walked there for dinner and ended up staying 2 1/2 hours visiting with friends and celebrating that the restaurant's liquor license finally arrived :drinker:

I am determined to do better today. I guess I should go and exercise in order to make that happen,

Missou - how is the Gazelle and your knee?
  • Missouwechanged
    Missouwechanged Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone!!

I understand you Pinbotchick when it comes to temptations. I did not get any candies either!! Even those I don't like. Anyway, I'll be on vacations in 4 weeks and I need all the money I can get :wink:

Ladies, you are very lucky to have the support of your husband and that he participes in your weight loss efforts. My husband does support me, but since he does not want to start taking so much care as to what he is eating and his portion sizes and since he is the cook of the house, he tends to keep on giving me big portions still. When the food is good, what can I say...

My knee does not appreciate the Gazelle as much as I tought it would, but I am doing a lot of strenghtening exercises for my quads, my hamstings and my lower legs. I should be able to use it soon. At least, I hope so. I really miss my cardio workout!!

Take care and be good to yourselves!!
  • Missouwechanged
    Options
    I went on the Gazelle and I was able to stay 5 minutes. I didn't stop because my knee was in pain, I stopped because I wanted to prevent any damage. Now, the knee is a little sore and I will do some rehabilitation work on it. I am really happy to have done some cardio!!! :happy: :happy: I'll see how it goes tomorrow.
  • motocaryschell
    Options
    Hello everyone, just thought I would check in and let you know that yay, I'm back down to where I started! (haha) Missou, you must rest your knee, no matter what. Surgery will only delay your progress and besides you will have to rest after surgery anyway. Unless you actually have a tear or something that will not repair on its own with rest, surgery is more intrusive than anything. The hard part is actually resting it and not overdoing it (which can be extremely easy).

Okay, an inspiring story for us all. This will be me someday, I promise: There is a 44 year old woman who lives in our town, married with two daughters. I saw her walking at the park the other day and couldn't believe how sculpted she looked. I asked her how she did it, and while she was holding three pound weights, she said that she puts weights on her ankles and walks approximately an hour and a half each day. She didn't look like she was overdoing it and she said she had only been doing it since July. I have started using weights for my walks and can tell a HUGE difference. I'm not going too fast as I've only just begun, and I've found I can't do my 10 incline with them on, but I will with patience and tenacity! Anyway, I don't think eating was ever an issue for her as it is with me. I love to eat and I love to cook. I have a hard time saying no, and I have to supplement with healthier things in order to stay true to my diet (no always possible...hello Olive Garden) Any way, I feel that if someone I know personally can do it, then I know I can. And if I can, we ALL CAN!!!

url=http://www.myfitnesspal.com/weight-loss-ticker]142727.png[/url]
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Calorie Counter
  • Missouwechanged
    Options
    I understand what you are saying Motocaryschell. I really don't beleive there is a tear in my knee because I was always able to use it and even take very active walks. I just overdid it and now, it is still sore. I saw my GP after the fall in she is not worried. Hubby has done several tests on it and beleives the problem is meniscal. He says my knee is very stable. I have a few exercises that I have to do several times during the day. Using the Gazelle is easier on my knee than going up the stairs. I know what movement will increase the pain so I don't do them as much as possible.

Thanks for the advice.
  • booboogroom
    booboogroom Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Well ladies I gained .6 pounds back. :explode: If I didn't know it was musscle I'd be :mad: . I have finished my workouts for the week. My goal was to burn 1440 calories and I burned 2500. Yea :smile: me.
    289052.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Diet Plans
  • LisaLGK
    Options
    I am 46, and have lost 55 lbs in the past year and a half. (bringing me down to 108 lbs) My BMI is 20.1, which I'm very proud of. For the first time in my life I have muscles! Now I want to stop losing, and just maintain. This is difficult since I still love to work out every day. I'm having a difficult time getting out of "diet" mode. (actually, I haven't "dieted", I have just adopted a healthy lifestyle.)

Is anyone else in the maintaining stage? If so, I would love to speak to you about it.
  • LisaLGK
    Options
    A Gazelle helped me to get much of my weight off! I no longer use it, but definitely got some great results with it. (Good luck to you!)
  • Missouwechanged
    Options
    Thanks Lisa. I can't wait to be able to use that Gazelle properly!!!
  • booboogroom
    Options
    Missou I was wondering if your knee hurts or swells up after walking? I went for a walk today for about 55 min. walked 2.5 miles would have liked to have went for 3 but my knee swelled up, so I didn't. I thought walking was good for your knees. I dont know it dosen't swell as bad when I workout on the cycle or ellipitcal. I guess I need to go see the doc. again :explode: .
    289052.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Calculator
  • Missouwechanged
    Options
    Unfortunatly my knee does hurt and swells up when I walk :mad: :angry: It does not hurt as badly when I go on the elliptical, but still, I need to rest it a lot these days. So no exercises for me. I don't want to try anythine because there is always a demand on the knee, even when you do sit-ups :grumble:
  • Missouwechanged
    Options
    Good morning everyone, it is the day after one of the fatal day in the year... Halloween!!!
    I did not give out candies and my girls are too old to run around for trick or treat so I had no temptations. I was alone with hubby last night and we had a fondue :happy:

Even thought I am not doing any exercise, my weight is staying the same. I am carefull when I eat and I am able to stay within my calory count. I can't wait to do my exercises again!!!
  • pinbotchick
    pinbotchick Posts: 3,904
    Options
    Hello everyone. Hope you had a nice Halloween. We stayed home and a had a record 9 trick or treaters. I passed out quarters and received only a few funny looks. I probably spent less than a bag of candy costs and had no temptations around the house :happy:

It looks like today will be one of the last nice days for the year. I have a 3 mile walk planned for 11:30 this morning. Otherwise, I will be having a day of rest, relaxation and cleaning at home. I hope to start listening to Diana Gabaldon's newest book - An Echo in the Bone. I cant believe that Thanksgiving is only a few weeks away. I've started looking up low calorie options for my stuffing. Anyone have any ideas?

Extra exercise kept me within my calorie limits for the weekend. I have had a hard time staying motivated this week. I keep telling myself - this should be a habit by now and not so hard to keep going. I took time this morning to review my log of eating for the month of October - I made my water goals each day, noticed a steady decline for calories in over the month, I seem to eat more on weekends, and when I cook (vs box food) my salt levels are lower. Overall, I am happy with my progress. I just need to remember and keep repeating - that slowly off means it is more likely to stay off and that this is a lifestyle change not a diet.

I appreciate everyone's support. Thanks. Have a great, healthy week.

Missou - I feel for you not being able to exercise the way you want to... Take care of that knee :flowerforyou:
  • harvey6
    Options
    Hi ladies. I will 45 next month. I am the mother of three girls (28,26,24) and a boy (21) and the grandmother of two boys (9 & 7), and two girls (6 & 20 Mos). I have not had luck with other plans but one week with myfitnesspal and I have lost 5 lbs. My oldest daughter is getting remarried to a wonderful man next August and I don't want to look like an Oompah Loompah for her wedding, my youngest daughter is getting married the following year, which provides the motivation to keep it going.

I have trouble losng weight because of some medical issues but I think I may have finally found what is going to work for me with this tool and all of you.

I went to my sister-in-laws for Halloween. She gets so many Trick-or-treeters that I didn't have to worry about the candy, it didn't last long enough.

275196.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Calculator
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,713 Member
    Options
    I turned 49 last week. I have a hubby and two teens (17-year-old girl and 14-year-old boy). I've lost 13 pounds since August 17 by doing Slim in 6 and tracking my food here on MFP. My goal is to lose 11 more. I hope it stays as easy as it has been, but I'm also prepared for the last few to be a little more difficult. That's OK. I will do it, even if it takes a little longer. I WILL reach my goal, and more importantly, I will maintain it.

Happy November, everybody!

Jill
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    Is it too late to join?

Married 24 yrs.
    5 kids ages 10-22

Started my weight-loss several years ago by first just giving up sugar. I am a very slow loser but I have learned to live with that.

I never liked exercising before but after a very stressful time I started and now I love it.

I am currently in bed with the flu! :sick: The hardest part is not being able to excercise!:grumble:

I am staying under 1200 calories though. I stepped on the scale after a week in bed and found I have gained a pound.

You all seem awesome! I saw another thread with several people in the 40+ group but they are lightyears ahead of me, running marathons and P90X insanity etc.:blushing:

Happy November 1st!

DD
  • Mommabee
    Mommabee Posts: 103
    Options
    Hi everyone!
    I just found this site today and I love it already! I am 46 a mother of 2 boys (24 and 22). The 24 year old, Mat is in Iraq right now, on his second deployment. He got engaged just before he left Oct. 9th, so I have a wedding to help plan and a mother-of-the-groom dress to buy, so here I am! I started my diet, no, scratch that, my NEW LIFESTYLE, two weeks ago and have lost 8 pounds so far, but I used my new weight to start on here so "officially" I haven't lost anything yet...
    Plus, I just had my yearly physical and was told that it looks like I may have had a small heart attack sometime in the last year since my last EKG. Talk about a wake up call! I have to go for a stress test (won't take long to get me stressed right now LOL) to find out if I really did have one or not, so that's just motivating me even more to get this weight off once and for all! I bet I have lost three or four complete people in my years of dieting, but they just won't stay lost! They keep coming back and bringing friends with them :tongue: so this time I am not dieting, I am changing my life!!!!
    Thanks for listening! I am here to do the same for all of you! Here's to the first day of the rest of our HEALTHY lives!!!!
    Mommabee of the groom
  • booboogroom
    Options
    Missou I talked to my husband last night, remember he's a truck driver he's in Memphis, he said he thinks the reason our knee's are swelling and hurts after walking is because we are putting more impact on it. Sounds likely cause we don't impact the floor with the machines.(except the tread mill) But I think I will be seeing my knee doc. sometime :grumble: , and see what he has to say and offer. Anyway it sounds like we may both have the same problem. Maybe together we can figure out what it might be. :huh: .

Oh yea welcome to all newcomers :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: .
    289052.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Chart
  • Phonzie
    Options
    Hi everyone! I just found this forum and would like to join with other over 40's - I am 49 - mother of 2 beautiful girls (14 & 21). I am currently at my top weight and joined MFP about 1 week ago. It has been great to keep track of my meals. Having trouble fitting exercise in. I KNOW IT IS ESSENTIAL. I have been using the stairs at work and trying to walk as much as possible in the course of my day (parking further away, etc.) I already get up early (5:30 on class days, 4:30 on clinical days) so that is not the answer. My youngest daughter is very active, so my afternoons/evenings are mostly spent as a taxi driver. I have lost 6 lbs so far - but the dr. started me on a diuretic at the same time, so I know that is water wt. It helps to know that others are on the same road. My goal is to start my 50's much healthier than I am ending my 40's. I need all the support I can get!
  • booboogroom
    Options
    DeeDeeLHF sweetie it's never to late. :flowerforyou: Good luck on your progress.
    289052.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Chart