"babe" "hun"

Options

Replies

• bethagon
    bethagon Posts: 18
    Options
    if he calls EVERYONE 'babe', then it's fine.
    if it's only young/attractive people, then i'd be annoyed
  • lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I call everyone darlin, love, sweetie pie. My hubby is okay with it.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    It does bother me - and i did tell him - his reponse was that i was overreacting!!!!

I'm a spiteful ***** - sometimes........i can play this game!!! Can't wait to go out - and call every male I see "babe' or "sweetie" or "hotness" all loud enough for my "husband" to hear.

Oh, there are so many things wrong with this ... that your husband doesn't understand, that you're intentionally being spiteful, that you call him your "husband." I think some marriage counseling might be in order.
  • laurastrait21
    laurastrait21 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    i HATE being called hun, it makes me feel like a little girl. babe isn't as bad. it kind of just depends on the person
  • Tourney3p0
    Tourney3p0 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I'm a spiteful ***** - sometimes........i can play this game!!! Can't wait to go out - and call every male I see "babe' or "sweetie" or "hotness" all loud enough for my "husband" to hear.

You are a child.
  • Myslissa
    Myslissa Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    The funny thing is, I would prefer to be called by my name by a SO, It is more personal. In the south, we call everyone honey, sweetie. They are generic in my opinion.
  • almacdee
    almacdee Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    He's messing around on you, sweatheart. Get rid of him.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    It does bother me - and i did tell him - his reponse was that i was overreacting!!!!

This relationship has great potential... :flowerforyou:
  • kaetmarie
    kaetmarie Posts: 668 Member
    Options

Oh, there are so many things wrong with this ... that your husband doesn't understand, that you're intentionally being spiteful, that you call him your "husband." I think some marriage counseling might be in order.

^^^The issue is bigger than him calling some chicks "hun"
  • Sarahgrace0228
    Sarahgrace0228 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    My fiance does not do this but I have known men who have because that is how they are. Sometimes I may call people that are not my fiance dear, darlin maybe honey or Hun but it is out of friendship. To make it special I do have names I reserve for my fiance.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I call guys babe and hun all the time. I hope their gfs dont hate me!

The only place I never do this is at work since its a very male dominated field. I sort of have to act like one of the boys.

I didn't realize guys call each other babe and hun?
  • calalily77
    calalily77 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    When I' working i call all the elderly men and women Hun! It just comes out naturally as well as sweetie. Babe isn't one that I would appreciate my husband calling anyone but me. He never calls me by my name, its always baby, or babe, or hun. If he calls me by my name I am usually in trouble, lol. Like a kid. I agree you should talk to him but don't go out and do it to get back at him. that won't help anything!
  • Fayve
    Fayve Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    It's actually kind of funny. When I visited my long distance boyfriend in Louisiana for the first time, I was totally taken aback by the use of terms like that in everyday conversation. Saying "Thanks sweetie" to the cashier was very odd until I came to realize it was a regional, new orleans kind of thing.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Have you checked his text messages, email and Facebook for more "huns" and "babes"?
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one that thinks that a husband should NOT be calling anyone but his WIFE "babe" and "hun"?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?

I think you should talk to him and let him know it bothers you. This is not a topic for an Internet forum, this is a topic that you and your husband should be reaching a solution on that best fits the two of you. He is speaking in perfectly appropriate terms from all the barkeeps and waitstaff I know, who call each other by pet names like that all the time. Not sure why, but that's the way it seems to be.

If this is a big deal to you, then it's a big deal to your marriage. Make as big a deal of it as you need to satisfy yourself that the behavior either stops or you learn to accept it. But pick your battles, because he may have to change to a different job or alienate his coworkers by insisting on formality in an informal workplace.

No anonymous Internet forum is going to resolve this because we're all in relationships with different rules. My wife worked for a company that had that sort of vibe going on, and while I thought it was odd I also did not feel it worth mentioning nor did I ever suspect she was cheating on me or anything, so I let it go at that. She and her coworkers seemed amused by the nicknames, and my wife and I have a relationship built on many decades of trust.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    You have to be plain and clear with men. Tell him you dont like it....I BET you it stops. He might not even know hes doing anything "wrong".

If not, theres your answer!
  • mmuzzatti
    mmuzzatti Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    OK I do this alot and really never payed any attention to it but I also use Sweetie too. Does not seem to bother anybody in my group.
  • BlueInkDot
    BlueInkDot Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    meh. *shrug*

If it bothers you, just tell him privately.
  • hollyk57
    hollyk57 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Ew...that would REALLY bother me. Have you talked to him about it and told him how it makes you feel? He may not realize he's hurting or offending you. My hubby only reserves those names for me - he and I both even hate it when a female waitress or someone calls HIM sweetie or hon - makes me want to deck her. lol. I would really chat with him more about it though. Communication is key in good relationships. Hubby and I have heart to hearts often, just to make sure everything we feel is out there - it really strengthens us.
  • SpydrMnky27
    SpydrMnky27 Posts: 381 Member
    Options

How did you tell him? We're you calm about it or did you yell at him?