"babe" "hun"

Options

Replies

• saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I met my husband's coworkers last night - a bunch of women bartenders. He continuely called them "hun" and "babe" right in front of me!! THEY, of course, didn't seem to mind - BUT I DID!!!!

He says "it's not like I'm attracted to them, it's just out of habit" - I think that's crap!!!!!!!!!

Am I the only one that thinks that a husband should NOT be calling anyone but his WIFE "babe" and "hun"?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?

I would seriously flip my lid. "hun" ....ok. "babe" not ok. I would seriously give him a look and say "who you callin' babe?" I'd be telling him he needs to get a new habit. Unless he works with a bunch of old women then fine.
  • 152dbs
    152dbs Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Ooooh that would piss me off. And my husband would be equally angry if I was going around calling men "babe" and "sweetie". It's just very flirtatious sounding.

sweetie can also be a little condescending.

wouldnt bother me...my wife works at a bookstore and the cool people have left so its nothing but booktrolls working with her.

i watched 1 time where a pretty big guy was being a real butt about a situation...she threw so many "dears", "sweeties", and "huns"
    at him that by the end of the convo he was using "ma'am" and apologized.
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Should also add, I really don't like to be called babe, hun, sweetie, sweetheart, darling, ma'am, insert whatever else by men or women.... I don't mind "baby" every once in awhile.
  • kymillion
    kymillion Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    my husband flirts with ladies all the time I really dont care .. I think its cute ..

they are always blushing and getting a rise .. whatever so long as its innocent whats wrong with making someones day?
  • beccadaniixox
    beccadaniixox Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I hate when boyfriend's/husband's call their S.O. "babe" or "hun" or any of those generic terms.
    Maybe I just love the movie "John Tucker Must Die" But all those mean to me is "Sorry I can't recall your name right now, try again later."
  • SairahRose
    SairahRose Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be bothered. My partner does it, and I just think it's friendly flirting, which is totally okay in my book.
    He calls me by my name, which I prefer so much more, since it shows that he loves me enough to want to have my name on his tongue instead of a generic.
  • fatgirlslove
    fatgirlslove Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    no no I only say that to guys I have crush on lol...RED FLAG
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I hate when boyfriend's/husband's call their S.O. "babe" or "hun" or any of those generic terms.
    Maybe I just love the movie "John Tucker Must Die" But all those mean to me is "Sorry I can't recall your name right now, try again later."
    I wonder what my girlfriend thinks actually. She's usually referred to as beautiful, gorgeous or angel and less often by her name. Sometimes sweetie too, but she's come to know I'm annoyed with her when I call her that :p
  • terri0527
    terri0527 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I'm from the south and everybody calls everybody "hun", "sweetie", "darlin'....it's no big thing for me. I must say tho that the "babe" is irksome as all get out!! :happy:
  • katejenkins1
    katejenkins1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    If you lived in the Baltimore Metro area, everyone calls everyone hon.

http://www.honfest.net/

If it bothers you tell him, nicely. He prob doesn't even think about it, second nature.
  • LoveLifeForever
    LoveLifeForever Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm ok with "hun", but not "babe". To me, "hun" is slightly nicer than calling them "girl". But "babe" is commentary. It would be like me calling my guy friends by saying "hey there, handsome!"

I ttly AGREE with this! Babe is getting a bit too far!! Having my bf call some coworker that would drive me bonkers and probly to tears too...but having a HUSBAND say that?! You gotta be kidding...:noway:
  • bga008
    bga008 Posts: 90
    Options
    I completely agree with you, he is in the complete wrong. I would find someone else because he obviously is a flirt with other girls and who knows when he will cheat.
  • christinet8504
    Options
    I call every guy I know babe. That being said, if my guy confronted me about it and said it made them uncomfortable, I would stop.
  • k011185
    k011185 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Is he a spiteful flirt who generally like to rub your nose in the fact that he flirts with other women? If so, then it would bug me.
    If it was said as a casual greeting, and he isn't a douche bag in general, why waste the time and energy in getting upset.
    If it bugs you, ask him to stop, if he refuses to stop, then sure, I can see getting mad.
    I know plenty of guys who call me, and almost every other female acquaintance, babe, hun or sweets, it doesn't make them jerks, cheaters or inappropriate.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    It does bother me - and i did tell him - his reponse was that i was overreacting!!!!

I'm a spiteful ***** - sometimes........i can play this game!!! Can't wait to go out - and call every male I see "babe' or "sweetie" or "hotness" all loud enough for my "husband" to hear.

And just what will that accomplish?

What does he call YOU? I guess if my SO called me "babe" or "hun", then yes, I would be offended................but if those are just words he uses in the course of work, then what's the big deal?

I find myself calling people "hun" a lot.......I think it's an old lady thing, though, and ya, I sometimes CAN'T remember people's names :wink: :wink: :wink:

I'm with you on the old lady thing...
    In my preparation for the big 50 I told everyone they could be "Hon" "Sweetie" or "Dear"
  • interceptor311
    interceptor311 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    I do this a lot. If I know it pissed the warden off I'd do it a hell of a lot more! :laugh:
  • unapologeticallyemma
    unapologeticallyemma Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Its the industry... they all do it.

but no my hubby does the same with his girl friends and i don't care because he's faithful and means nothing by it... I'm the only one he calls Baby and Boo so i don't care.
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    I met my husband's coworkers last night - a bunch of women bartenders. He continuely called them "hun" and "babe" right in front of me!! THEY, of course, didn't seem to mind - BUT I DID!!!!

He says "it's not like I'm attracted to them, it's just out of habit" - I think that's crap!!!!!!!!!

Am I the only one that thinks that a husband should NOT be calling anyone but his WIFE "babe" and "hun"?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?

They probably do it to all the guys to get more tips. I wouldn't worry about it until they start showing their cleavages or butts like some of the profile pics on here. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I HATE it when someone calls me Hun or sweetie. To me, its condescending and demeaning. What, do they think I am a 5 year old? Most of the time, and I may come off as being a little mean, but I ask them not to. I actually made a girl cry once, not on purpose...I asked nicely...sigh. haha
  • SpydrMnky27
    SpydrMnky27 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with you, he is in the complete wrong. I would find someone else because he obviously is a flirt with other girls and who knows when he will cheat.

Seriously?
  • shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Everyone calls me "sweetie" and "hun".
    Coworkers, guy friends, older people, etc.
    So I figure it must be relatively normal :p