Vegetarianism. Seriously? (A Debate)

Options

Replies

• gchutson
    gchutson Posts: 657
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian since my teens. I think it is the KINDEST way to feed myself. I simply see no reason to make food choices which require someone to kill animals for me, if I can live well on plant-based food. After these many years, I see no point in debating this lifestyle. Live and let live.

I've been eating this way since 1973--going on 40 years. I am in prime health at age 57. Whether this is attributable to my veg*n diet, I simply can't tell you, but I doubt it has hurt me any. I don't debate the health advantages of a plant-based diet, since most of the research is epidemiological, and I think it isn't proof, per se, that one diet is superior to another. I do believe eating a rainbow of plant foods is a good thing, and I encourage anyone willing to listen to me to do so.

Veg*n food options keep getting better all the time, and I am thankful for that.

This is one meat-eater that will beat up anyone that ever makes you sad. Promise.
  • zCarsAndCaloriesz
    Options
    I honestly just prefer Veggies and Fruits, the only meat I actually enjoy is chicken.
  • tikikris
    tikikris Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I don't eat my friends.
  • gchutson
    Options
    Gorillas do eat meat, as do chimpanzees and koala bears, just before they're referenced. Carry on.

While this is actually true - it is insects they eat (usually ants). There is no conclusive proof that gorillas eat meat (other than insects) in the wild. Chimps - yes, gorillas, no.

We like steak. Trust me.
  • carolynmittens
    Options
    so basically, you posted this topic not because you're genuinely curious about vegetarianism, but because you think your diet is superior and you'd like vegetarians to agree with you?
  • gchutson
    Options
    I don't eat my friends.

Now see.. you say stuff like that and it makes it really, really hard for me to not be a smartass.
  • nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    so basically, you posted this topic not because you're genuinely curious about vegetarianism, but because you think your diet is superior and you'd like vegetarians to agree with you?

I really think it's just a way to spark some conversation..... why do you choose to eat the way you do?
  • gchutson
    Options

No, I posted this topic to ask if anyone cares to debate the benefits / drawbacks of vegetarianism VS yummy, yummy meat.

This fact was cryptically hidden within the second sentence of the original post that stated, "Anyone care to debate the benefits / drawbacks of vegetarianism VS yummy, yummy meat."

I can be so coy with my intentions at times.
  • cheesy_blasters
    cheesy_blasters Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Well, my entire family discusses this a lot. To me, most vegans and quite a many vegetarians just never look healthy. None of us get it. I don't buy the "not hurting living creatures" thing. A. dogs and cats eat meat and require it if you feed you cat tofu your evil. B. just because plants don't have faces or vocal cords doesn't mean your not eating them alive, killing them, or hurting them. We must eat life to live. Can't live off of rocks.

not to ruffle feathers. just one family's opinion. everyone is allowed their own.

LOL.
  • kaylurzz
    kaylurzz Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian for health reasons. I'd only eat fried chicken nuggets from fast food joints, not healthy at all. Or I'd eat pepperonis, not healthy at all either. So about 3 years ago I decided to cut it out all together. And besides I never really eat meat much to being with.
  • sho3girl
    sho3girl Posts: 10,799 Member
    Options
    I don't eat my friends.

Now see.. you say stuff like that and it makes it really, really hard for me to not be a smartass.

Gosh you're holding back, you must have really been chastised :happy:
  • SunnyAndrsn
    SunnyAndrsn Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    eat, drink, and be merry. Whatever that may be. I don't care what you eat, but don't tell me what I should eat.

PS...I DO like the taste of meat :-) Take that whatever way you want to.
  • hungryhungryhypocrite
    hungryhungryhypocrite Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Well, my entire family discusses this a lot. To me, most vegans and quite a many vegetarians just never look healthy. None of us get it. I don't buy the "not hurting living creatures" thing. A. dogs and cats eat meat and require it if you feed you cat tofu your evil. B. just because plants don't have faces or vocal cords doesn't mean your not eating them alive, killing them, or hurting them. We must eat life to live. Can't live off of rocks.

not to ruffle feathers. just one family's opinion. everyone is allowed their own.
    Well said. Our ancestors survived by eating meat. It's natural.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options

I really think it's just a way to spark some conversation..... why do you choose to eat the way you do?

Yes, I am interested in that, too.

I am a vegetarian who still enjoys hearty, 'meaty' tastes and textures. I love Gardein and Boca anything. So, I'm sympathetic with people who crave meat. But, these plant-based alternatives are so very, very good and as cruelty-free as this world allows.
  • shirayne
    shirayne Posts: 263 Member
    Options

Not booted, though I'm quite sure the moderators have a dartboard with my face and/or crotch on it.

I'm not anti-veggie at all. Raw broccoli is arguably the yummiest thing since... well... sliced bread. Though I'm fairly sure broccoli came first.

I'm far from anti-veggie but you'll never see me eat a meal without a piece of meat on the plate...it just feels wrong... and I concur...broccoli rocks!

Especially when accompanied by MEAT... :)
  • nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    Options

I am a vegetarian who still enjoys hearty, 'meaty' tastes and textures. I love Gardein and Boca anything. So, I'm sympathetic with people who crave meat. But, these plant-based alternatives are so very, very good and as cruelty-free as this world allows.

I've never tried a plant-based meat alternative, I'm sure it probably is abetter option sometimes, so I'll have to give 'em a try sometime :)
  • carolynmittens
    Options

No, I posted this topic to ask if anyone cares to debate the benefits / drawbacks of vegetarianism VS yummy, yummy meat.

This fact was cryptically hidden within the second sentence of the original post that stated, "Anyone care to debate the benefits / drawbacks of vegetarianism VS yummy, yummy meat."

I can be so coy with my intentions at times.
    my bad. i thought that when you made the comment "Again, I'm not judging. I'm just curious" you were cryptically implying that you were not judging, and just curious.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I don't eat my friends.
    I eat my best friend and she thoroughly enjoys it.

Now that's out of the way, GH can stay on track.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    That was the nicest, most polite counterargument I've ever seen, professionally or otherwise. I can't argue back because I feel the to give you a hug and buy your kids a pony.

Awwww! How sweet :smile:
    thank you for understanding my viewpoint.
  • scinamon1
    scinamon1 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    why did the tofu cross the road?

cos it wasn't chicken :laugh:

i'm vegetarian and have been since i was about 9. i think everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but it always slightly annoys me when people say they eat meat because it is natural and humans were made to eat meat. we weren't made to dye our hair, and cars and mars bars and pretty much every aspect of our lives are unnatural, so that argument always seems a tad hypocritical to me. mostly i'm veggie because of the opportunities for awful jokes :)
This discussion has been closed.